GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Low Torque (91) or Stage 1 (91) Tune?

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
Agreed. The installation labor would likely double that number. Just wait for the Mk8 buy it and tune with APR Plus and be covered for engine warranty (but not the clutch).
My local VW dealer is an APR authorized dealer which is why I’m considering tuning it at all. I’ve never modified a car in my life. It seems like the GTI is begging for it. He assures me that if I get the low torque APR tune from him ($500) and do my scheduled VW service with him, they’ll be no problems. If I took it elsewhere there might be an issue but he said that even that is rare. He said he’s never seen any issue from an APR tune with an engine or anything else other than a clutch. He asked me if I was going to drag race or street race (knowing full well that the answer is no).

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I went with the low tq apr tune. With dsg. I was able to dyno before and after too

I found ait temps post stock intercooler to be unacceptable but I also wanted to move up to the high tq stage 1. So I got an intercooler and went for it. I’ll be on the dyno again on the 14th

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I went with the low tq apr tune. With dsg. I was able to dyno before and after too

I found ait temps post stock intercooler to be unacceptable but I also wanted to move up to the high tq stage 1. So I got an intercooler and went for it. I’ll be on the dyno again on the 14th
What was your dyno result on the low torque tune?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
My local VW dealer is an APR authorized dealer which is why I’m considering tuning it at all. I’ve never modified a car in my life. It seems like the GTI is begging for it. He assures me that if I get the low torque APR tune from him ($500) and do my scheduled VW service with him, they’ll be no problems. If I took it elsewhere there might be an issue but he said that even that is rare. He said he’s never seen any issue from an APR tune with an engine or anything else other than a clutch. He asked me if I was going to drag race or street race (knowing full well that the answer is no).

Ask him to give it to you in writing.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
For any area that's impressive for what you would call a stage 1 tune.
I believe this happened, the large gap between stock and stage 1, because the apr boost target demands to be adhered more aggressively vs the stock tune’s boost target

as a result, ait temps post intercooler was absolutely out of hand after a few aggressive pulls. It’s kinda a thing where the turbo would spool at 22psi just so the car could ingest about 19-20psi.

so I knew immediately that I’d need an intercooler. Especially if I wanted to go high tq.

high elevation sucks 😂

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't care what anyone says, that dealer is not going to cover 100% of the possible warranty claims if VW balks...simple as that. The risk is v. low but it's not zero...keep that in mind.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I don't care what anyone says, that dealer is not going to cover 100% of the possible warranty claims if VW balks...simple as that. The risk is v. low but it's not zero...keep that in mind.
From what I’ve gathered vwoa decides if something can be covered under warranty. It’s not the dealer to decide. Right?