GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Upgrade Question

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
What about the JDEurosports IS38 Plus? Evidently you need to swap and calibrate the actuator, not sure how difficult that is. Or pay an extra $250 for it to be done for you

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Don't forget if you go with a vortex even on 93 you might want to upgrade fueling :p it really is a bottomless pit.

I went with a shenuk is38+, I know people have had mixed thoughts about the company but the turbo has been rock solid for over a year on an aggressive 28psi tune. Seen too many threads where early is38s failed tuned or stock, and paying the same for one with upgraded bearings gives me peace of mind, it also flows slightly better up top. It also cost the same as a regular is38

But yea really ask yourself what your end game with the car is, I'm now debating if I want to go to a vortex the power bug is real.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Do they have an OTS IS38 tune? He was going to pay that regardless.

No. Info changes all the time, but last time I knew they had planned on bringing one out, but scrapped that plan.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Do they have an OTS IS38 tune? He was going to pay that regardless.
Apr had one for a while for the GTI. They had a version for the stock downpipe and a stage 2 for an aftermarket downpipe. For whatever reason it’s not a thing anymore.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Apr had one for a while for the GTI. They had a version for the stock downpipe and a stage 2 for an aftermarket downpipe. For whatever reason it’s not a thing anymore.
APR still has the downpipe version of their IS38 tunes available but the stock DP one is not, at least when I got my IS38 installed back in Feb.

Its strange that they don't offer their IS20 Stage 2 tunes anymore but you can still get their IS38 ones.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The EPA cracked down on them.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
APR still has the downpipe version of their IS38 tunes available but the stock DP one is not, at least when I got my IS38 installed back in Feb.

Its strange that they don't offer their Is20 Stage 2 tunes anymore but you can still get their IS38 ones.
Yeah man that’s odd.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm running @projectTVMK7 's HPA IS38+ that he ran for 20,000 miles and now I've put another 8000 miles on it. Too early to tell about reliability but I have no issues to report of so far. If the + versions can provide the reliability that they state in their marketing then I'm happier doing that then potentially blowing up an IHI/OEM IS38 turbo that has to be uninstalled, shipped, re-installed. Especially true if you're like me and need to have a shop do the install.
I have the same turbo for about 20k miles. The last 6k on a flex fuel tune. I feel like I have more headroom for increasing boost, but rather keep it conservative

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, the Vortex with wastegate calibrated is $2,099, and like mentioned, now you want to upgrade fueling, etc. I'd like something to hold me over while in the next few years I finish new schooling and upgrade. The HPA seems like a good alternative that I can run for a while on 93 and get some tangible returns rather than pouring more and more money into the car. You guys have been more than helpful and the real world applications are what I appreciate.