GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield on '21 GTI is flawed...

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
My windshield isn't optically perfect across the width; about 6" from either edge there is a band of vertical ripples.

To be completely honest, I've had the car a month and only noticed it yesterday, so it's not at all severe. At first I thought it was a funky effect of polarized lenses, but I can see it without them on my face.

Would you have the dealer correct this? I've read a few stories about problems getting the car re-calibrated properly when new glass is installed... Is this condition common?

Replacing a windshield is an every-two-years proposition here, because our various governments have decided that gravel is the right thing to spread on the roads all winter, rather than sand.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting -- I'll have to check mine out. Yes, I'd wait until it gets cracked by a rock. Heck, the windshield in my pickup was cracked last year while I was waiting to turn left at an intersection. A cement truck drove past and a rock fell off it! Of all the luck ......

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
My windshield isn't optically perfect across the width; about 6" from either edge there is a band of vertical ripples.

To be completely honest, I've had the car a month and only noticed it yesterday, so it's not at all severe. At first I thought it was a funky effect of polarized lenses, but I can see it without them on my face.

Would you have the dealer correct this? I've read a few stories about problems getting the car re-calibrated properly when new glass is installed... Is this condition common?

Replacing a windshield is an every-two-years proposition here, because our various governments have decided that gravel is the right thing to spread on the roads all winter, rather than sand.
i replace windshields at my audi dealer and can tell you this from first hand experience. vw glass ALWAYS have a flaw and typically aftermarket glass has way more than the oem stuff. they consider it normal as long as it doesnt distort the drivers view. the audi glass however is always perfect. if the a3/s3 glass fits i would suggest upgrading it with that next time you have to replace it. i bought my car right off the truck brand new and it has a very long ripple on the pass side and a deep scratch on the top, i'm waiting on mine to break and replacing it with the good audi stuff then.

cb1111

i replace windshields at my audi dealer and can tell you this from first hand experience. vw glass ALWAYS have a flaw and typically aftermarket glass has way more than the oem stuff. they consider it normal as long as it doesnt distort the drivers view. the audi glass however is always perfect. if the a3/s3 glass fits i would suggest upgrading it with that next time you have to replace it. i bought my car right off the truck brand new and it has a very long ripple on the pass side and a deep scratch on the top, i'm waiting on mine to break and replacing it with the good audi stuff then.
I don't think that you'll find that the Audi glass will fit the VW, but you, as a glass professional, know that already.

I also suspect that A3 and S3 glass is different.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
It’s been that way since the 15s

TJGTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI
If your car has the lane assist/front assist camera just be sure to do the replacement at an actual dealership. I brought my GTI to safelite and they assured me that they could recalibrate the system. When I tried to drive it, it tried to drag the car off the road. I got a refund and went to a dealership instead and had them instal OEM glass and do the calibration.

Some of the overhead panels/trim are loose now because of the two replacements. Keeping the windshield replacements to a minimum is probably the best way to go, especially if you're saying it's a common thing in your area.

Either way, good luck!

TJGTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI
You raised an interesting point though. Is the windshield the same on the Golf, GTI and A3 and S3? I know that the A6 and S6 glass was different in 2002.
I believe they're different, especially if there's a camera. I'm not 100% sure though, it's probably worth researching more

cb1111

Rippled glass is absolutely nothing new. I’ve owned 4 MQB cars and all of them have that. I’ve seen it in other brands too. Pretty normal.
My 2018 S4 has ripples as well. Original glass.

Glass has just gotten cheaper over the years.
Glass has changed over the years based on changes in regulations. With the onset of European pedestrian safety rules came the change in windshields. This "rippled" glass is common to all manufacturers - just like "soft" paint.

There is zero chance of Audi A3 glass fitting a GTI.

When I had my S6 in 2002 and needed new glass, the glass place put in two A6 windshields that Audi said would fit - it didn't and Audi ended up putting me in a loaner until they got a warranty replacement from Germany. Why warranty? The windshield is part of the SRS and even very minor changes in the design will require a different windshield - even if the difference is minimal.

In the case of the S6, the glass was a few mm larger and the only real visible difference was that the "VIN window" was off a hair and, of course, a slightly larger gap all the way around - but that wasn't readily visible.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
They all have this. It’s no biggie.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I'm not sure about the windshield but the side windows having this yellowish tint to them is starting to bug me. It just looks fugly. Now it might be coincidental that I just started noticing it and the pollen is heavy now in Jersey so it could be that. I need to do a car wash soon and I'll know for sure.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
The windshield is part of the SRS and even very minor changes in the design will require a different windshield - even if the difference is minimal
During the purchase of my new to me S4 they were telling me how insane it is to replace windshield glass on these cars because of stuff like you mention, sensors integrated in glass, etc.

I have good glass coverage with USAA but they had a reasonably priced 8 year warranty for glass, tires, wheels, key loss, and dent repair so I went for it given my luck with wheels, tires and glass repair here in the Bay Area. I have needed two windshields and 6 chip repairs, suffered multiple bent wheels and tire punctures in a hair under 8 years living here.

They didn’t PDR the car or they did and missed three spots. I got the PDR done and that alone already paid for 1/3 of the warranty I got. If the windshield goes it’ll probably pay for the remainder of what I spent.