GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Describe the uneven tire wear. Could be an alignment problem or worn shocks or a tire pressure problem depending upon your answer.
It was an alignment issue, I failed to have the vehicle aligned after having a clutch install, totally my fault. Wear is outside of the wheels only.

I'm doing motor mounts and Powerflex insert this weekend so hopefully that changes a lot of my perceived problems. I am assuming my transmission mount is clapped because I always have issues finding third gear under WOT and cruising around town the shit sounds like it's gonna fall out sometimes. Car always gets bucky in the mornings on a cold start too... I guess I hadn't considered worn shocks, but that may be contributing as well.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Is the ambient air sensor somehow connected to the TPMS? I broke the sensor while installing my twintercooler (actually it was already damaged, presumably from a flying rock) and a TPMS error came up immediately when starting up the car...I didn't touch the wheels or any sensors connected to them AFAIK.

Another strange thing is the fan noise from the front of the car is way louder... possibly a loose hose clamp? Car was pulling great and IATs were falling during WOT so it doesn't seem like there's a leak otherwise...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is the ambient air sensor somehow connected to the TPMS? I broke the sensor while installing my twintercooler (actually it was already damaged, presumably from a flying rock) and a TPMS error came up immediately when starting up the car...I didn't touch the wheels or any sensors connected to them AFAIK.

Another strange thing is the fan noise from the front of the car is way louder... possibly a loose hose clamp? Car was pulling great and IATs were noticeably closer to ambient so it doesn't seem like there's a leak otherwise...
Don't see how those things are related and also can't see how the ambient air sensor would have anything to do with the TPMS.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Don't see how those things are related and also can't see how the ambient air sensor would have anything to do with the TPMS.
I just googled "mk7 ambient air sensor" to find a link to buy a new one and found the thread below with the same exact problem with TPMS and the temp sensor. Still not sure why the fan sounds so much louder though...possibly also related to the sensor?? Like the fan is working harder to try to pull air to the sensor? 🤔

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ambient-air-sensor-and-tpms.369961/

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I just googled "mk7 ambient air sensor" to find a link to buy a new one and found the thread below with the same exact problem with TPMS and the temp sensor. Still not sure why the fan sounds so much louder though...possibly also related to the sensor?? Like the fan is working harder to try to pull air to the sensor? 🤔

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ambient-air-sensor-and-tpms.369961/
That or your fans are running due to the FMIC portion. Installed my FMIC and i've noticed the fans kick on more often.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I noticed it in my garage right away after starting up, during the drive at stops, and when I pulled back into the garage. Was running full speed the entire time as far as I could tell. But considering it f'ed with something as random as TPMS, I'm pretty convinced its being caused by the broken air temp sensor.

I also have 3 CEL codes now. Gotta love VW

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
honestly my car likes to do dumb shit no one else's does... it may just be the tires, they have a little uneven shoulder wear. Also no performance pack/lsd.

I dunno if the lsd would help with brake boosting. The e-lsd could, I guess? @golfdave would know

uneven tire wear probably isn’t doing you any favors.

I still think it’s your tune. The eqt stage 1 makes way more tq than my apr high tq stage 1

If the OP hasn't got the PP then no VAQ...which is good...a proper LSD would help...also even if he has the ESC set to sport & used VCDS to tweak everything as "off" there are still some systems which remain partially "on" & will kill the spark ignition ...I recon its heavy right foot & crap tyres.....sort that then go for a wavetrac (other brands available)

Another strange thing is the fan noise from the front of the car is way louder... possibly a loose hose clamp? Car was pulling great and IATs were falling during WOT so it doesn't seem like there's a leak otherwise...

I did a write up on the Ross-tech forum as I had the same problem & even Uwe didn't know at first as it was like "WTF!!???".....

I'm "VAG-Dave" on Ross-tech..

WARNING about G17 Ambient Temperature Sensor, VW Golf MK7 | Ross-Tech Forums

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Hi chaps

DIY n00b here, currently trying to drain coolant from my Mark 7 GTD as my Dad and I have found sand in it (lodged by degreaser while investigating heater problem).

Radiator and expansion chamber drained no problem. Haynes manual says to drain the matrix and the intercooler but we can’t find where we need to do that.

Any ideas?

Photo of sand in expansion chamber attached. Is it worth sending this to VW with a shitty email?

Probably not but thought I’d ask anyway…

320FEEAF-FDF6-4500-933B-F5F7E4BF93D2.jpeg

I should add, I may be a n00b but my Dad is not. He’s currently questioning why the intercooler needs drained - I guess Land Rover didn’t use them in the Defender from 1985 - 1999. 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

gti_up

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Here's a stupid one for you guys:

Is it normal for a wheel spacers to not fit flush against the wheel? I ordered a set of 11mm spacers from shopdap. The spacers fit flush against the wheel hub, and the wheels are secure against the lip of the spacer, however there's probably a 1mm gap between the spacer and the wheel.

Seems strange to me.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
How accurate do you find your fuel consumption readings vs. a manual calculation? I honestly don't care too much about the absolute number, but I like to see the relative change based on how I drive. I haven't done a manual calculation with this car, but my wallet tells me it burns about 45% of the fuel my F150 does, which lines up with the display.

My Fords were all about 5% optimistic, Dodges about the same, GMs must have been using that new math, because they were all out by over 15%.
I did the math when I filled up today, and the displayed fuel economy was out by less than 4% on the 'Since Refuel(?)' calculation. Good enough for me.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What could cause a spark plug gap to close? I replaced a set of Ruth's that had maybe 15k miles on them, and the gap had closed to ~0.020 or so. When I installed them, they were pre-gapped to 0.024 - 0.025 (same as the new ones), and I had left them as-is. Usually they open after time, not close...