GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD Recommendations for GTI: Wavetrac, Peloquin, any others?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Does anyone have experience with either Wavetrac or Peloquin or any other LSD in a GTI? I am looking for recommendations.
How difficult is the install?
Also, is it just an install-and-forget matter or would I need to play with the car computer?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Both brands good and durable. Install and forget, it is not part of computer system. They really transform the car.

How difficult is the install? - Well, if you have a lift, experience pulling and replacing motor and trans, along with experience pulling DSG apart then it is a straight forward install. Most folks don't have the tools, experience to do this easily, but at least a few forum members have done their own install. It would certainly rate as a very involved DIY with a fairly high difficulty rating. If you have to ask how hard it is you don't have the experience so find a friend that has the experience to help you. Or pay the 1200 or so to have a shop do it.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
A mechanical diff upgrade is a huge upgrade for these cars, and completely changes the feel and driving characteristics.

I DIY installed a wavetrac differential earlier this year. It is a complicated and long process that I was only able to do because I had a second transmission. With the usual setbacks while learning and buying new tools, It is definitely easier in the end to pay for install if you are financially able to do so.

Link to my thread for an idea of install: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-wavetrac-lsd-into-a-vaq-equipped-car.381177/

Diffs are a mechanical part and require no coding or tuning, but I'd recommend running TC off with one.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Both brands good and durable. Install and forget, it is not part of computer system. They really transform the car.

How difficult is the install? - Well, if you have a lift, experience pulling and replacing motor and trans, along with experience pulling DSG apart then it is a straight forward install. Most folks don't have the tools, experience to do this easily, but at least a few forum members have done their own install. It would certainly rate as a very involved DIY with a fairly high difficulty rating. If you have to ask how hard it is you don't have the experience so find a friend that has the experience to help you. Or pay the 1200 or so to have a shop do it.
You are right, i don't have experience performing the procedure. But i have the entire service manual, and i've done a lot of stuff on this car (never worked on cars before) like an intercooler install and thermostat replacement. So I'm not too horrified at takling an LSD install. The main reason i ask about the difficulty is to gauge how long the procedure would take and to know if i need any specific tools.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
A mechanical diff upgrade is a huge upgrade for these cars, and completely changes the feel and driving characteristics.

I DIY installed a wavetrac differential earlier this year. It is a complicated and long process that I was only able to do because I had a second transmission. With the usual setbacks while learning and buying new tools, It is definitely easier in the end to pay for install if you are financially able to do so.

Link to my thread for an idea of install: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-wavetrac-lsd-into-a-vaq-equipped-car.381177/

Diffs are a mechanical part and require no coding or tuning, but I'd recommend running TC off with one.
I'll look at your thread, thank you. Is yours a manual?

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You are right, i don't have experience performing the procedure. But i have the entire service manual, and i've done a lot of stuff on this car (never worked on cars before) like an intercooler install and thermostat replacement. So I'm not too horrified at takling an LSD install. The main reason i ask about the difficulty is to gauge how long the procedure would take and to know if i need any specific tools.
The lsd install requires you to not only drop the transmission but you have to completely disassemble the transmission, then you’ll need to pull the diff from the car, drill out the crown gear from the factory open diff by drilling out the old pressed rivits. Then you have to press the new studs in to the diff(lsd) install the bearings, bearing races and reshim them and measure them set the preload. Then you can bolt the trans housing back together and reinstall the the transmission.

Even some trained dealer tech could botch that job easily, and I’m sure with the DSG there will be some extra details/ nuances to be mindful of when taking the trans apart.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
The lsd install requires you to not only drop the transmission but you have to completely disassemble the transmission, then you’ll need to pull the diff from the car, drill out the crown gear from the factory open diff by drilling out the old pressed rivits. Then you have to press the new studs in to the diff(lsd) install the bearings, bearing races and reshim them and measure them set the preload. Then you can bolt the trans housing back together and reinstall the the transmission.

Even some trained dealer tech could botch that job easily, and I’m sure with the DSG there will be some extra details/ nuances to be mindful of when taking the trans apart.
Dear anotero, stay the fuck away from that with a 10 foot pole.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here is one thread comparing different LSD -vs- the VAQ unit....

Performance Pack vs. WaveTrac - Direct Comparison (drivetribe.com)

Wavetrac seem to get around the preload problem in a much smoother way than most other types of diffs...eg clutch type or other geared type...

most units inc. Wavetrac can be altered to suit using different oil viscosities or friction materials in the end plates etc...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
For the best experience I would recommend you get a Wavetrac and have a shop with experience installing them, do the work. Two most transformative mods for me were larger turbo and the LSD.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I got the Wavetrac and love it.

My mechanic strongly recommended the quaife. He said it's just personal preference on how quickly and strongly it reacts. Said the quaife is smoother but wavetrac transfers power more quickly

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I got the Wavetrac and love it.

My mechanic strongly recommended the quaife. He said it's just personal preference on how quickly and strongly it reacts. Said the quaife is smoother but wavetrac transfers power more quickly
What were the exact differences you noticed after installing an LSD?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm actually intrigued by all the details, but I think ultimately I'll follow your eloquent advice and have a shop perform the install.
Not sure if you already called around but it’s usually in the 2k range for the parts and labor.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny