GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

free_guac

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Had a frustrating but overall good day at Laguna Seca yesterday. First two sessions were basically throwaways because of so much traffic, couldn't get any clean laps in. Third and fourth sessions opened up a bit more but then I ran into issues with the car cutting power going uphill towards T7 (Corkscrew). You can hear me expressing my frustration in the video below lol. I'm not sure if it was heat soak (only 75F and oil temp was 260F so not too hot?) or bad gas but the car was definitely slightly down on power today. This lap was a 1:46 without traffic at the end, so I know high/mid 1:46s are in reach. The head coach at my event thinks car can do 1:45 and I agree. Till next time!

Track name: Laguna Seca
Track location: Monterey, CA
Lap time: 1:47.536
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3200lbs
Estimated wheel horsepower: 250whp
Fuel: 91
Tire size and model: 255/35/18 Nexen N FERA SUR4G (200tw)
Estimated ambient temperature: 75F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Car cutting power, some traffic at end. 2.5F/2.0R camber, Macan BBK, Ferodo DS2500, Eibach 25mm RSB.

Nice, I was there last Sunday as well but in OP1 with my M3. Great laptime btw. Would love to meet you in person next time!

free_guac

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Interesting that you had the same power issue. I normally shift around 6000-6250 but tend to rev out 3rd a little more as 4th is so long. The only solution I can think of to remedy this issue is just better cooling. Maybe I need to revise my air intake setup a bit. I do not have logs unfortunately.

Here is a really really good breakdown of Laguna Seca by a pro driver - helped me a lot in preparation for yesterday’s session.

Below are the notes I wrote for myself in preparation:

Laguna Seca 4/18 Prep:
-Flat turn 1
-Brake just before 3 board
-Start angling in/trail brake between 1/2 board towards first apex (“extend straightaway”)
-Rotate and on power as fast as possible
-Turn 3: turn in at last white marker, apex on middle/back of yellow curb
-Turn 4: turn in at last white marker, apex far side yellow curb, on power at apex
-Turn 5: brake at 3 board, turn in on last white curb marker, apex backside yellow board, on power as early as possible
-Turn 6: turn in last white marker on curb, on power after car compresses
-Corkscrew: all the way left, brake before 3, lighter brake pressure over crest turning slightly right to setup entrance, hard on brakes after car settles. Use all curb on left, aim for second big tree from left.
-Turn 9: line up under “e” in Weathertech, slightly early apex, use all track
-Turn 10: downshift to 3rd, turn in slightly before end of curb, early on power
-Turn 11: brake at 3, turn in on last white marker, slightly late apex, on power as early as possible, use all turf on exit
As for T2, I think you could brake a little later. With my stock GTI, I max out at 107 and brake between 2-3. Also you could use the space on the right to have a wider entry. Here my
for ref. This should shave off another 0.2-0.4sec I guess.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
As for T2, I think you could brake a little later. With my stock GTI, I max out at 107 and brake between 2-3. Also you could use the space on the right to have a wider entry. Here my
for ref. This should shave off another 0.2-0.4sec I guess.
I agree. T2 is definitely my nemesis at the moment. I am at about 112 at the end of the straight so will try 3 board next time.

I’ve seen varying opinions on how wide to go on entry. Some coaching videos I watch tell people to basically brake hard from 3-2 then angle in towards first apex between 2-1 while slowly coming off brake. That’s what I was shooting for here. I’ve also seen people brake all the way straight till one board then turn in. Will need to try both out next time and see if I can figure out what’s faster.

I’ll be at Sonoma on May 8th with SpeedSF - if you’re there feel free to come say hi!

free_guac

Car(s)
2016 GTI
I agree. T2 is definitely my nemesis at the moment. I am at about 112 at the end of the straight so will try 3 board next time.

I’ve seen varying opinions on how wide to go on entry. Some coaching videos I watch tell people to basically brake hard from 3-2 then angle in towards first apex between 2-1 while slowly coming off brake. That’s what I was shooting for here. I’ve also seen people brake all the way straight till one board then turn in. Will need to try both out next time and see if I can figure out what’s faster.

I’ll be at Sonoma on May 8th with SpeedSF - if you’re there feel free to come say hi!
awesome! I will be at Sonoma on the 8th as well. Will hit you up when it comes!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks!

It was my first time there, so I went from 2:23 first time out to 2:11.4+ the next day .... there are a couple of turns that I can carry better speed, and can definitely take the uphill esses a little faster maybe. Top speed on the back straight was 144

the car needs more brake, which I am addressing, and would do better with a some higher spring rates, especially the rear. I also use stock sizing rubber 225s...not sure if I would benefit from wider tires or not, since I would have to raise the car, so I don't really want to mess too much which the way it is setup right now. I really need to work on myself more.

For anyone who has driven VIR, that is fast. Period.
Especially considering it was your first time at VIR. As you know it is an awesome track. Fast, intimidating and technical. Your commitment up the esses for a first timer......Outstanding. Carrying 144mph into the T-13 and braking at the 3-marker is brave. There is more time in the car & driver.

You ran out of brakes going into T-1 at the end of your fastest lap. You are carrying a lot of straight line speed. You need a good BBK with your hp If you don’t have one already. Some 255 tires will add some more mechanical grip. Lines need some work T-4/5 sequence, T10, T12. But that will come with practice. Good job!

Which event did you run with?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
For anyone who has driven VIR, that is fast. Period.
Especially considering it was your first time at VIR. As you know it is an awesome track. Fast, intimidating and technical. Your commitment up the esses for a first timer......Outstanding. Carrying 144mph into the T-13 and braking at the 3-marker is brave. There is more time in the car & driver.

You ran out of brakes going into T-1 at the end of your fastest lap. You are carrying a lot of straight line speed. You need a good BBK with your hp If you don’t have one already. Some 255 tires will add some more mechanical grip. Lines need some work T-4/5 sequence, T10, T12. But that will come with practice. Good job!

Which event did you run with?
Thanks!

I just finished installing a Stoptech ST-60 kit, so hopefully brakes won't be an issue. I'm also increasing the rear spring rate. I'm holding off on the 255 as I don't want to raise the car just yet, trying to make one mod at a time and see how it affects things.

Definitely a lot of time left out there that day.

I ran SCCA Time Trials

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
One mod at a time is a good strategy.

You will find that the brakes will make a huge difference to driver confidence. They helped make me more consistent lap after lap. Allowing me to push a little harder each lap, knowing I will be able to stop. And if you do go in a little hot they will still get you slowed down, even on the last lap of a session.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Yeah I'm looking forward to more confidence with the brakes, it's why I ditched the Macan setup, I didn't want to have to deal with pad knockback issues, and hope that I don't have those issues with the new setup.

Considering there is "a lot" of static gap, this is how my rear looked on the right over the uphill esses....They springs are a bit soft from Bilstein, so going to try to up it a little in the spring rate department. It is my daily, so I don't want to go too crazy.

51055248042_25afe3b8a2_o.jpg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m not surprise. The car is heavily loaded making the right through T-9 and you were carrying a lot of speed up through the esses. My car would understeer real bad through there if I attacked the esses at speed. Made it difficult to get back to the right to set for T-10. You grabbed some brake in the esses which isn’t ideal with how heavily the car is loaded. I would suggest scrubbing off some speed at the bottom and use maintenance throttle going up the hill.

You did a great job for your first time at VIR. With a few additional days to dial in the lines you will shave more time off. Didn’t realize you had Macan calipers at VIR. The stock rotor just does not have the heat capacity to handle a full session. The 355x32 will do much better, plus the 6-piston caliper has a larger pad which will last longer and stay cooler than the smaller 4-piston pad.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Yeah I'm looking forward to more confidence with the brakes, it's why I ditched the Macan setup, I didn't want to have to deal with pad knockback issues, and hope that I don't have those issues with the new setup.

Considering there is "a lot" of static gap, this is how my rear looked on the right over the uphill esses....They springs are a bit soft from Bilstein, so going to try to up it a little in the spring rate department. It is my daily, so I don't want to go too crazy.

View attachment 211569
I'm curious to hear what you think is the most noticeable difference between the Macan's and the ST60? I am still on OE PP brakes was looking to upgrade to Macan's until I read your post.

By the way, which wheels are you on that could fit the ST60's?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I’m not surprise. The car is heavily loaded making the right through T-9 and you were carrying a lot of speed up through the esses. My car would understeer real bad through there if I attacked the esses at speed. Made it difficult to get back to the right to set for T-10. You grabbed some brake in the esses which isn’t ideal with how heavily the car is loaded. I would suggest scrubbing off some speed at the bottom and use maintenance throttle going up the hill.

You did a great job for your first time at VIR. With a few additional days to dial in the lines you will shave more time off. Didn’t realize you had Macan calipers at VIR. The stock rotor just does not have the heat capacity to handle a full session. The 355x32 will do much better, plus the 6-piston caliper has a larger pad which will last longer and stay cooler than the smaller 4-piston pad.
I'm curious to hear what you think is the most noticeable difference between the Macan's and the ST60? I am still on OE PP brakes was looking to upgrade to Macan's until I read your post.

By the way, which wheels are you on that could fit the ST60's?
I actually swapped back to the OEM caliper for VIR with Hawk DTC-60, and that caliper was a total fail.

Next weekend I'm doing a HPDE at Palmer, so I'll let you know how the ST-60s work there. The Motegi MR 145 clears most everything. The annoying part are the tuner lugs. I would have gotten Apex wheels if they were out at the time.

Last edited:

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Lap time: 1:49.47
Year/model: 2018 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3150lbs?
Estimated wheel horsepower: APR Stage 1 HT
Fuel: 91 Oct.
Tire size and model: 225/40-18 Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Estimated ambient temperature: About 68 degrees
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): MK7.5 GTI with performance pack, APR Stage 1 HT Tune/TCU Tune, Ohlins R&T, CSS knuckles, Neuspeed RSB, EuroSport offset strut mounts, CSF Radiator, AMS Intercooler, Ferodo DS2500, Motul RBF 600

First track day in the GTI. Tires were not up to the task. I was running fairly high pressure to try and prevent outer edge wear so I would be able to drive home. Still had a lot of fun and looking forward to getting some better/wider tires!

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Lap time: 1:49.47
Year/model: 2018 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3150lbs?
Estimated wheel horsepower: APR Stage 1 HT
Fuel: 91 Oct.
Tire size and model: 225/40-18 Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Estimated ambient temperature: About 68 degrees
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): MK7.5 GTI with performance pack, APR Stage 1 HT Tune/TCU Tune, Ohlins R&T, CSS knuckles, Neuspeed RSB, EuroSport offset strut mounts, CSF Radiator, AMS Intercooler

First track day in the GTI. Tires were not up to the task. I was running fairly high pressure to try and prevent outer edge wear so I would be able to drive home. Still had a lot of fun and looking forward to getting some better/wider tires!

Nice time with those tires. Also looks like you had the whole track to yourself! Dreamy. How much camber do you have with the Eurosport/CSS/Ohlins combo?

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Nice time with those tires. Also looks like you had the whole track to yourself! Dreamy. How much camber do you have with the Eurosport/CSS/Ohlins combo?
Thanks! It was a Speed SF event. There was a fair number of other cars on track, but I somehow managed to get a lap with no traffic whatsoever. The whole run group must've been bunched up on the opposite side!

The setup resulted in around -2.6° camber up front. I was still getting a lot of outer edge tire wear and for whatever reason, the ohlins upper spring bearing seems to be separating or somehow failing causing some serious spring bind. My height adjusters came loose after the event and I have a constant popping sound I am assuming from the spring bind. Just ordered a set of Vorshlag plates since there's no way they can be noisier than how it is currently. I likely should have played around with this setup a bit more, but the Vorshlags just seemed like the easiest option and have some additional advantages...