GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Open source tuning solution

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Dang - thank you for replying though. Hopefully it's lurking in there somewhere. Otherwise it's trade-in time 😂. Jk.

I definitely know what you mean with the clutch switches. What I'm trying to do is delay the turning off of the upper switch signal until my foot is at the floor, basically. I noticed that when coasting in neutral, if I rev the engine with the clutch not pressed, there is a lot less rev hang. Then, when I press the clutch in like I'm shifting normally, the rev hang is there. I'm thinking there could be a time interval right after you let off the gas where the ECU is looking to see if the clutch is pressed or not and that determines the rev hang behavior. So if I can delay when the ECU thinks the clutch has been pressed, maybe that would fool it into dropping the revs faster.

First I tried tying the upper clutch switch wire to positive (+) with a pull-up resistor, which made the EPC come on. Now I'm trying basically a NOT gate so the upper switch is always the inverse of the lower switch. Still throwing an EPC though :-/. I wonder if it checks the resistance of the switch as well.

I have a feeling it won't work. But it's a fun experiment at least.
An update for anyone who wants to do something similar - don’t. Haha. It actually makes the rev hang a bit worse. And the car becomes much harder to get started from a stop.

I did learn something new about the ecu relating to the gas pedal though. When the clutch is pressed in the gas pedal is super sensitive. Whereas when the clutch is let out, the gas completely changes its character and becomes basically un-blippable and unresponsive. This made it hard to get going from a stop without stalling.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Well, a couple updates from the Open Source tuning world.

- OpenFlex v1– Timing adder vs E content only, for the time being
- Simplified wastegate open loop table logic (PUT vs RPM)
- Live datalogger working with MegalogViewerHD
- GUI (desktop and mobile versions) for flashing files, blackbox logging, managing log files, etc.

Both the Tuning/Flasher tool and Datalogging tool have been tested with a variety of devices: Raspberypi/Pican, Macchina P1 and Tactrix OpenPort (windows).

In the future, looking at things like high speed logging patch, map switching, and additional flex fuel functionality (torque/boost modifier etc.), other general items to make the tools more user friendly, etc.

Huge thanks and props to @joedubs and @bri3d for their work. Basically just a couple guys in their free time making all of these things happen.

In the example below, I am running ~E47 in the tank, so I am getting the full 1.0 "weight" of the correction factor, and it's adding ~6* of timing up top. Yes, I am still using hp tuners for actual tuning/calibration stuff...so I am using a bit of a hybrid solution currently for myself.

https://github.com/bri3d/VW_Flash
https://github.com/joeFischetti/SimosHighSpeedLogger

pic2.PNG

pic1.PNG

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yes, I am still using hp tuners for actual tuning/calibration stuff...so I am using a bit of a hybrid solution currently for myself.
To clarify what this means.

The software on the ECU is a custom software. @aaronc7 is using HPTuners to define and edit the tables in the ECU. Joe and I use Tuner Pro. What you use to edit the tables doesn't really matter. The flashing software is open source by @joedubs and @bri3d.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
For those interested lurkers like myself, you need a hardware interface to get started. Correct me if I'm wrong on these sources

Hardware
Tactrix Openport 2
RaspberryPi Hat PiCAN3
Macchina P1
HPtuners

That's correct.

There's also a better CAN interface for the pi by a company called seeedStudio. It's based on an updated chip. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the same fit/finish/form factor as the PiCan though.

Fwiw, I'm using a piCan3 for all my headless logging, and most of my flashing. seeedStudio board I'm using for my bench setup

PXL_20210420_154500437.MP.jpg

The tactrix openport also works great, is super fast, and is the closest you'll get to existing "laptop based" logging and flashing solutions.

HPTuners isn't open source. We can flash over their software to add better logging and open features, but realize you're still playing in their sandbox if that's the direction you go.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yeah, I think most people would prefer the OpenPort option, at least how things are currently. If you're a linux guy you might enjoy one of the other options, but I think most will be more comfortable just doing things on their existing windows laptop.

Joe made a GUI for the flasher / OpenPort / windows and you can make that and his logger a single click icon on the desktop etc to make things easy.

Probably not recommended...but one guy is successfully using the tools with a $35 alibaba openport knockoff too.

1619398240758.png

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Probably not recommended...but one guy is successfully using the tools with a $35 alibaba openport knockoff too.

Tactrix is also a small US company owned/operated by 2 guys out in cali. I won't be doing any testing with the knock off.

But sure, it's an option.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Yeah, I think most people would prefer the OpenPort option, at least how things are currently. If you're a linux guy you might enjoy one of the other options, but I think most will be more comfortable just doing things on their existing windows laptop.

Joe made a GUI for the flasher / OpenPort / windows and you can make that and his logger a single click icon on the desktop etc to make things easy.

View attachment 211559
This is awesome. I noticed in the screenshot you have 5G0906259L_0002 as one of your files? Have you or someone been able to unlock and flash this ECU? This is the same one I have in my GTI (CXCB engine) so that would be great news.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
This is awesome. I noticed in the screenshot you have 5G0906259L_0002 as one of your files? Have you or someone been able to unlock and flash this ECU? This is the same one I have in my GTI (CXCB engine) so that would be great news.

At this point we've consolidated around a single software version. @aaronc7 had identified a GTI box code that shared that same SW version, and there's been 2 early GTIs that have cross flashed to that version. It's the same SW running on the 1.8t sportwagen and R/S3. L might actually be that one, I don't recall off hand.

In short, as long as there's a calibration that meets the cluster requirements for your car, you can flash to the consolidated code. We also have the capability of bench recovering a bricked ECU.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
8V0906259J is the S50 box code for World Market R/S3 too (engine code CJXC). Can't find a compatible ROM for world market GTI yet.

and yes, 259L, you're good to go without any sort of cross flashing

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
maybe a random question, but for for us GTI owners with a piggyback tune, could this be an option that allows us to remove the limiter without going a full ecu tune?

edit 4 grammarz

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
maybe a random question, but for for us GTI owners with a piggyback tune, could this be an option that allows us to remove the limiter without going a full ecu tune?

edit 4 grammarz

I guess? But why? This is a full flash option. It's more involved than going Cobb or APR. There is really no need to run the piggyback if you go this route.