GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

relive

Ready to race!
View attachment 206680

here is the mark I’m questioning. It’s hard to tell in the photo, but it COULD be coolant. It’s a typical spot for it to run down. Mine was similar. Mine was pooled up on the oil pan rail. It can never hurt to have someone look at it. Dealers seem really resistance to fixing what is a widespread problem.

Yeah, I figured that this was the spot that was concerning. What is the cheapest way to get a second opinion on this? I assume that the dealership would give me the same answer if I reached out to them again.

My warranty expired a few days after my service, but my complaint is logged in the work order, so it should still be covered under warranty if it is indeed leaking.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
No, the work is being done at the dealer. You take the car to any repair shop and the shop sends the claim in. You can get a $50 discount on your deductible if you take it to an "approved" shop, but i'd rather just let an actual VW tech do it.
Agreed. At least they know how to do them.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Yeah, I figured that this was the spot that was concerning. What is the cheapest way to get a second opinion on this? I assume that the dealership would give me the same answer if I reached out to them again.

My warranty expired a few days after my service, but my complaint is logged in the work order, so it should still be covered under warranty if it is indeed leaking.
If it were me, try another dealer, if possible. If not, a strong independent may take a peak for 1/2 labor or so. If you can get them to put it in writing I would return to the dealer. If the dealer pushes back I would be cordial to them but would contact VWoA to get the concern covered.

surfstar

Ready to race!
Well I'm a moron and had it in my head that it was 6 year 60k miles so I'm out of warranty. Dealership quotes me 4 hours at $1100, guess there's no real reason to have them do it and I should shop around. I have another garage I go to that offers a 2 year warranty on their work so I'll see what they say, unless there's any reason I should have VW do the work?
Many have had it covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. Are you past 5 years?
Read this thread, and note how many were covered under 5/60 and INSIST that your dealership simply treat you the same way. You may have to escalate to VW, but be persistent. If one dealership is able to do it under warranty coverage, others should as well.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Got my coolant thermostat union replaced today after losing coolant over 10k km. Part numbers were 06L-121-139-A for the seal and 06L-121-131 for the union. Went 48k km with the original system and 4 or 5 top offs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Got my coolant thermostat union replaced today after losing coolant over 10k km. Part numbers were 06L-121-139-A for the seal and 06L-121-131 for the union. Went 48k km with the original system and 4 or 5 top offs.
Done under warranty right?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Done under warranty right?
Yep though I'll probably get my IE stage 1 tune this weekend or next weekend. I want to make sure it really is no longer leaking before I flash. Don't want to give the dealer or VW any reason to deny a warranty claim if I got unlucky with the replacement union.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Yep though I'll probably get my IE stage 1 tune this weekend or next weekend. I want to make sure it really is no longer leaking before I flash. Don't want to give the dealer or VW any reason to deny a warranty claim if I got unlucky with the replacement union.
But... why didn’t they replace the housing? The thermostat housing itself will warp. That’s first hand from the service director at my dealership. They know they are terrible parts. He freely admits that. I fear you will have the same issue with simply the union and seal.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Got the car back. Looks like they only replaced the thermostat housing so let's hope that's it. Spilled a bunch of coolant around under the hood too. View attachment 206681
I hope you demanded they properly clean up that fucking disgraceful mess. Unreal what these people will do.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
But... why didn’t they replace the housing? The thermostat housing itself will warp. That’s first hand from the service director at my dealership. They know they are terrible parts. He freely admits that. I fear you will have the same issue with simply the union and seal.
I agree. It's usually the housing that leaks.

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
We'll see! It's still got 10k miles of warranty soooo...

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
We'll see! It's still got 10k miles of warranty soooo...
We actually have 5 year, 100k km powertrain warranty up here. So I have another 2.5 years and 52k km to go, assuming they don't say flashing a tune voids the warranty.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
2018 Golf R

12/2020 dealer visit @ 20,400 mi - Coolant level in tank at Min line and odor of coolant from front of car. Asked dealer to inspect, said they pressure tested and no leaks. Would not replace anything and the Tech said "This is normal" to which I replied "No, smelling coolant all the time is not normal".

Currently at 24k miles and odor issue persists. I'll take it to another dealer next time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
2018 Golf R

12/2020 dealer visit @ 20,400 mi - Coolant level in tank at Min line and odor of coolant from front of car. Asked dealer to inspect, said they pressure tested and no leaks. Would not replace anything and the Tech said "This is normal" to which I replied "No, smelling coolant all the time is not normal".

Currently at 24k miles and odor issue persists. I'll take it to another dealer next time.
The thermostat housing leak passes a pressure test. It leaks while the car is driven and the coolant is up to temperature. Tell them to visually inspect it. Every dealer is certainly aware of the thermostat housing leak and should know better than to pressure test it.