GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What’s the thought on running engine mounts without trans mounts?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
A lot of those on the forums that are running that setup recommend it. Debating if I want to rip the lower puck out for the hybrid or just run their Insert that fills both lower and upper voids. Pulling the puck, unless you can get it out in one piece, seems kinda permanent. :ROFLMAO:
Honestly that lower puck is probably so chewed up from my aliexpress aluminum insert + stage 2 power that it wouldnt hurt to replace it anyway. An OEM puck can be installed albeit its a pain in the ass.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Replace the engine, transmission and subframe bushing (at least the lower with a Powerflex hybrid) at the same time. If you don't, you're not solving any problems. Do not reinforce the rubber subframe bushings with metal inserts, this is a bad idea.

"The whole engine and gearbox (the drivetrain) is located in just three places. The two upper mounts – one at the end of the engine, another at the end of the gearbox – both of which support the entire weight of the engine/gearbox, plus a third Lower Subframe Mount underneath the engine to prevent too much fore-aft movement (often called the pendulum, dogbone or subframe mount).

The GTI uses very compliant rubber in these mounts to give a soft take-up of power and isolate the cabin from drivetrain noise. For a daily-driven stock car, these bushings do a great job of keeping cabin vibration to a minimum, and cushion the effect of bad gear changes or clumsy throttle applications from ‘normal’ driving. But when you ask more of these mounts, whether through higher power or harder driving, the movement in the mounts becomes very noticeable.

This gives a slightly loose feeling to the drivetrain when coming on and off-throttle, and an increased chance of wheel-hop under hard acceleration as the whole engine and ‘box assembly judders – sometimes violently, particularly with wheelspin. If your car produces high power, or has covered quite a few miles, or is driven hard, then the softness of the standard rubber mounts allow for more and more fore/aft movement as you come on and off the power."

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Replace the engine, transmission and subframe bushing (at least the lower with a Powerflex hybrid) at the same time. If you don't, you're not solving any problems. Do not reinforce the rubber subframe bushings with metal inserts, this is a bad idea.

"The whole engine and gearbox (the drivetrain) is located in just three places. The two upper mounts – one at the end of the engine, another at the end of the gearbox – both of which support the entire weight of the engine/gearbox, plus a third Lower Subframe Mount underneath the engine to prevent too much fore-aft movement (often called the pendulum, dogbone or subframe mount).

The GTI uses very compliant rubber in these mounts to give a soft take-up of power and isolate the cabin from drivetrain noise. For a daily-driven stock car, these bushings do a great job of keeping cabin vibration to a minimum, and cushion the effect of bad gear changes or clumsy throttle applications from ‘normal’ driving. But when you ask more of these mounts, whether through higher power or harder driving, the movement in the mounts becomes very noticeable.

This gives a slightly loose feeling to the drivetrain when coming on and off-throttle, and an increased chance of wheel-hop under hard acceleration as the whole engine and ‘box assembly judders – sometimes violently, particularly with wheelspin. If your car produces high power, or has covered quite a few miles, or is driven hard, then the softness of the standard rubber mounts allow for more and more fore/aft movement as you come on and off the power."
Perfect explanation.

I just installed ECS engine and transmission mounts, Powerflex Hybrid/034 upper dogbone mounts, and ECS dogbone. Only have test driven once since doing the install. Definitely an increase in vibration at idle, more engine and transmission noise in the cabin, and clutch engagement is not nearly as forgiving as when I had the 034 engine and transmission mounts with the 034 lower dogbone mount . Powertrain is definitely more planted than it was before.

I recommend doing them all at once. If not, you’ll probably cause more wear on the mount you didn’t replace.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Would any of you that have done the BFI and Powerflex combo, could post the part numbers for the set? I want to make sure I don't messed up when ordering. Thank you so much in advance.
I read something about increasing noise when stiffening some of these areas. Curious about what kind of noise alluded that comment.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Would any of you that have done the BFI and Powerflex combo, could post the part numbers for the set? I want to make sure I don't messed up when ordering. Thank you so much in advance.
I read something about increasing noise when stiffening some of these areas. Curious about what kind of noise alluded that comment.
More than likely speaking about NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harness) you will get more NVH with stiffer mounts as more of the drivetrain movement is transferred. Same for an insert or hybrid puck for the mount, you're filling voids and increasing stiffness.

BFI mounts depend on your Engine and transmission combo - at least on the 1.8T, looks like the 2.0 is just which stage:
https://blackforestindustries.com/collections/mk7-gti-2-0t-tsi-engine-performance

Powerflex depends on Dogbone version, but seeing as you're a 2020 I believe it's all B. YMMV, best to check what your OEM dogbone looks like and verify before purchasing:
https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/p...ower-engine-mount-hybrid-bushing-large-a-2900
https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/p...ower-engine-mount-hybrid-bushing-large-b-2437

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
BFI S1 uppers w/ Powerflex hybrid is likely the best combination currently available for street performance/comfort.

alternatively, if you don’t want to cut the lower Dogbone bushing, I would suggest APR lower steel insert with 034 upper aluminum insert. I have this combination on my car with stock mounts and it made a decent difference. It would only be better with BFI uppers.
Same setup, no vibration when starting from a stop. Had 034 inserts -- had very noticeable vibration.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Same setup, no vibration when starting from a stop. Had 034 inserts -- had very noticeable vibration.

so you’re saying you went from 034 upper + lower inserts to powerflex hybrid, with BFI stage 1 mounts up top in both iterations? Or did you go BFI + Powerflex simultaneously?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

I can’t post PNs but I can say that BFI Stage 1 mounts for the MQB Golf are the same no matter what car you have, 1.8/2.0, Golf/GTI/R/GSW/Alltrack etc. the only thing that may vary is the hybrid bushing, and that’s because different golfs come from the factory with different dogbones, and it’s seemingly random. The community has never been able to draw a link between model/year/trim and the lower dogbone bushing installed. You have to get under your car and take a picture with your phone to know when shopping which to buy.

It’s also possible that, because the lower bushing is replaced by the hybrid, the hybrid bushing may be universal.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I can’t post PNs but I can say that BFI Stage 1 mounts for the MQB Golf are the same no matter what car you have, 1.8/2.0, Golf/GTI/R/GSW/Alltrack etc. the only thing that may vary is the hybrid bushing, and that’s because different golfs come from the factory with different dogbones, and it’s seemingly random. The community has never been able to draw a link between model/year/trim and the lower dogbone bushing installed. You have to get under your car and take a picture with your phone to know when shopping which to buy. Just make sure you get the yellow hybrid bushing if you want Stage 1/street performance. The purple bushing is track.
The hybrid pucks only come in yellow, the inserts have a yellow and purple version.. Well and Red if you get the diesel insert.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Take a phone and use it to take a photo of your dogbone and then compare it to the photos on the BFI or Powerflex website. I have a 2019 and the earlier version dogbone. It all depends on what they had in the universal parts bin on the day of assembly.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Just realized I didn't check which version I had before ordering from FCP. Let's hope I get the right one, as I don't even see an option for a different version.

AquaTone61

Car(s)
2015 GTI SE DSG
As thread says.
I replaced my OEM mounts with 034 density line mounts at about 52k miles. The old trans mount I could flex with my thumb like it was a wet noodle, the engine mount wasn't as bad but definitely soft. I had put in a Spulen dogbone insert right after I got it, at about 37k miles. As soon as I put in the mounts, I got a very loud rattle when pulling away from a stop with anything more than 1/2 throttle. Of course I had read about this happening and was not happy. So I got under my car and started looking around checking clearances and such and didn't find anything.
I just happened to remember my dogbone insert so I took the bolt out to check it and the insert fell out in pieces lol. The Spulen poly mount had almost disintegrated. Looking at the washer I also discovered the source of the noise. The Spulen insert comes with a very large washer and the washer was contacting the subframe under load and transmitting engine vibration into the cabin. So I started looking for other options online. I found that the Neuspeed dogbone insert had the smallest washer of any insert that I could find so I got one and put it in. No more vibration at take off. I suspect this has happened to other people after installing stiffer motor/trans mounts with an insert that has started to break down. As someone else pointed out, there are only 3 points locating the whole engine/trans assembly, they all need to be stiffened or the softest mount will take the brunt of the force. Eventually I may put in a stiffer dogbone mount like the S3 one but for now I'll check the insert every so often to make sure it is okay.