GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Full Catch Can System for the MQB Platform 1.8/2.0T

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Yes, I'm listening. I can't list the plate separately yet because we don't have enough inventory to cover current orders of the full system.

Thanks Arin. Has APR received any feedback from customers on codes being thrown? Here's some feedback from one of the Facebook groups.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 9.33.23 AM.png

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
I currently have that issue pop up intermittently with my Spluen kit, which has a check valve. I believe it is due to far greater vacuum being put on the system with a passthrough plate.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Had a few rough idle after filling up the tank. After that nothing but a pending code.

I have also developed a high-pitched whine at peak boost right as I started to see the codes. I hope it's just a leak and not my cartridge on a 10k mile turbo.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Thanks Arin. Has APR received any feedback from customers on codes being thrown? Here's some feedback from one of the Facebook groups.

View attachment 210037
I can't say I've seen the code on my end and we've had this on test cars for a couple years. But, if someone has a code for one reason or another, it's always good to contact our support team so we can look things over.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Yes, I'm listening. I can't list the plate separately yet because we don't have enough inventory to cover current orders of the full system.
Nice!!! What will price be when it’s available?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion

View attachment 210037
I had installed a check valve to the n80 purge valve cause my vwr catch can system was blowing off the line to it all the time. I started getting that code after installing the check valve and I noticed the gas tank was difficult to fill up maybe because the n80 valve wasn't operating as it should. I literally just disconnected the line from the valve to the pcv plate and plugged the fitting on the pcv plate

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
I have mine waiting to go in, I'm hoping I don't have these CEL issues with this kit!

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
Interested to hear more about issues with this kit as I was planning on getting it for the track

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
I currently have that issue pop up intermittently with my Spluen kit, which has a check valve. I believe it is due to far greater vacuum being put on the system with a passthrough plate.
That's part of it and I would venture to say that all current non OEM PCV plates out there have this design problem. Though surprisingly enough, it gets "overlooked".

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
Do you get a CEL, drivability issues, or just the code?
Usually no CEL, but I have seen it alter MPG and AFR a bit. Not to mention an extended Fuel Tank Ventilation readiness set period in which in some cases, fails to pass altogether.

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
Had a few rough idle after filling up the tank. After that nothing but a pending code.

I have also developed a high-pitched whine at peak boost right as I started to see the codes. I hope it's just a leak and not my cartridge on a 10k mile turbo.
The rough idle after fuel up is your fuel vapors being dumped on mostly cyl# 2 after idling for 10+ seconds where the N80 gets actuated. The increased vacuum of the after market plates and likely no oil blow by offsets combustion in relation to the other cylinders.

You can somewhat avoid it by leaving the has gas station and hope no red lights catch you the first couple of minutes so you can be on load, avoid the N80 valve actuation full time and drain the fuel vapors in a sort of spaced out manner as to not trigger so many misfires all at once.

The OEM PCV also does this but with less vacuum and a touch of blow by which likely keeps things in check with how the ECU expects it. I think at the end, you could probably reprogram the N80 behavior according to an after market plate, but who is going to do that...

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Usually no CEL, but I have seen it alter MPG and AFR a bit. Not to mention an extended Fuel Tank Ventilation readiness set period in which in some cases, fails to pass altogether.
I could swear I heard of someone with the Spulen v2 (@vw671 ?) have weird STFTs with the plate, which might explain that. Thank you for the detailed explanation on the n80 actuation!