GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building Otto

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Dropping the car off to get the suspension finished off today. Took some measurements beforehand to see what kind of drop I end up with. I took a bunch since I don't know which is best. Also made sure the car wasn't sitting in a hole or something but I can't promise the pad in my garage is perfectly flat. There might be a minor tire pressure issue in one corner as well but lives aren't on the line so I didn't sweat it.

Front-Driver: 26 1/4" fender to ground. 14 3/8" fender to hub. 12 1/8" hub to ground.

Front-Passenger: 26 3/8" fender to ground. 14 1/2" fender to hub. 12 1/4" hub to ground.

Rear-Driver: 26 3/8" fender to ground. 14 1/4" fender to hub. 12 3/8" hub to ground.

Rear-Passenger: 26 3/8" fender to ground. 14 1/4" fender to hub. 12 1/2" hub to ground.

Some decent variance that I chalk up to spring compression and/or tire pressure plus a margin of error for me eyeballing a tape measure. It'll still be a good ballpark for comparison.

Will take measurements when I get the car back tomorrow and drop some photos of the new stance with wheels mounted finally!

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Alright, just got the car back. Wanted to get the new wheels mounted so I took some quick measurements before I did that so that everything was measured with the same wheel and tire set up. The springs have not settled, they've been installed for about 4hrs, but this is better than nothing.

Front-Driver: 25" fender to ground. 13 1/8" fender to hub. 12 1/8" hub to ground.

Front-Passenger: 25 1/4" fender to ground. 13 1/4" fender to hub. 12 1/8" hub to ground.

Rear-Driver: 25 5/8" fender to ground. 13 3/8" fender to hub. 12 3/8" hub to ground.

Rear-Passenger: 25 5/8" fender to ground. 13 1/2" fender to hub. 12 3/8" hub to ground.

Fender to hub difference in the front is 1 1/4" on both sides in the front. Fender to hub difference in the rear is 7/8" on drivers side and 3/4" on the passengers side. It jives that the back is a little higher since I had TT pads installed in the back, which are about 1/4" thicker. You definitely can;t

So without any settling We're about 1" lower on average. H&R advertises 1.3" and we'll probably end up close.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Figured I'd post this as well. Shop I went to is a euro spot in Malvern for any of you southeast PA folks, Performance Automotive. Not the cheapest place I could find but was also not the most expensive place I found either. By the looks of the lot they do a lot of Porsche and BMW stuff but there was an Audi and a VW there as well. Did a great job, gave me all the stock suspension bits back, replaced everything I asked, had it done on time and the car looks and feels great.

For the alignment they said they shifted the subframe to get camber perfectly even, which I had never heard of before but it's even so I don't suppose they would lie about it. Not sure if that was the front or back to be honest. Car drives SO nice now. My alignment was definitely off before but the B8 / H&R Sport combo feels great too. It does feel softer, maybe a smidge floaty when cruising but it's definitely firm when you hit any bumps or undulations. All of the suspension work has really gotten this thing dialed in.

Alignment specs and a shot of my car with it's new friends.

20210408_164048.jpg 20210407_151115.jpg

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
AWE track exhaust is on the way. Diamond black tips of course.

It's going to be baby steps with the exhaust. We'll run the catback for a while, and then in a month once I have a fresh inspection sticker we'll get the trackslag DP. If that combo is too much we'll get the Baun resonated mid-pipe and hope for the best.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
AWE track exhaust is on the way. Diamond black tips of course.

It's going to be baby steps with the exhaust. We'll run the catback for a while, and then in a month once I have a fresh inspection sticker we'll get the trackslag DP. If that combo is too much we'll get the Baun resonated mid-pipe and hope for the best.
You're going to love the Trackslag DP.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Thanks man, I really do enjoy owning a white car even if I have to wash it twice as much.

I'm not sold on the name, it's the best my girlfriend could come up with at the time that I was cotemplating a build thread, so if you really want it we can race for it haha!

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
AWE Track exhaust installed this morning.

I had to get a new exhaust clamp for where the downpipe mates to the catback, the bolts were corroded and I could not back the nuts off enough to loosen it. 11k miles, pretty crazy. That required cutting the old one off, which shredded one cutting wheel, which necessitated a second trip to the store for some new cutting wheels. But I eventually got that piece of shit off.

I didn't really get any action shots but the stock exhaust comes off pretty easy. Clamp, hanger, and two bolts on the rear brackets. I took the rear brackets off with the hangers and muffler and decided to pull the hanger and brackets off on the floor. I ran to the store a 3rd time for exhaust hanger pliers and in my first attempt at getting the first hanger off I promptly squeezed hard enough to snap the pliers into two pieces. So a 4th trip to the store (after we finished) resulted in a refund. This took a lot longer than it should've but that's what happens when you don't plan for worst case scenario.

All in all it was pretty easy though, even with those hiccups. I'm no expert but I used my jack to push the muffler section up as high as I could while I tightened everything down. All clamps from AWE to 65ft/lbs as instructed. Then I lowered the jack and the muffler didn't flinch, so hopefully I won't ever experience the famous AWE muffler sag. Took a few minutes to get the rear exits centered and the tips even but for a couple of shade tree mechanics I think we did just fine.

Fired it up and there were no leaks so we callied it a success and put her down. It's a little louder and a little deeper on cold start. It has a real nice tone but it's really no louder than stock when cruising. You can hear it when you step on it but it's not a loud exhaust by any means with a stock downpipe. Glad I opted for the track edition and not the touring. AWE's disclaimers make it sound like it's going to wake the neighborhood but it's nothing like that. My thought was DP next and then resonated mid-pipe after if it's too rowdy but I'm beginning to think the mid-pipe won't be necessary. Will depend on how much drone I get.

I'm really knocking out my build list fast. I thought it's take me a lot longer to get to DP / turbo / tune but aside from aesthetic stuff 'm pretty much there. Guess this will start to get real soon.

20210413_151137.jpg 20210413_151254.jpg 20210416_141747.jpg 20210418_134633.jpg

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Been enjoying the car but need moar powah!

Ordered the 4" Trackslag catted downpipe and EQT stage 2 93 tune today. Will get the car through emissions before installing either so I have a year to sort out any bugs.

Thinking this Vortex swap will happen very early next spring. I'll ride out the stock clutch as long as I can but I suspect that will be getting replaced prior to the turbo swap.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Been enjoying the car but need moar powah!

Ordered the 4" Trackslag catted downpipe and EQT stage 2 93 tune today. Will get the car through emissions before installing either so I have a year to sort out any bugs.

Thinking this Vortex swap will happen very early next spring. I'll ride out the stock clutch as long as I can but I suspect that will be getting replaced prior to the turbo swap.

I see that it's a 200 cell cat, but costs €500 or $600 more for catted version. I looked on their site, but it had no info on it. Was wondering if they use a Euro6 compliant cat like HJS since it seems pricier than a regular high flow cat.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I see that it's a 200 cell cat, but costs €500 or $600 more for catted version. I looked on their site, but it had no info on it. Was wondering if they use a Euro6 compliant cat like HJS since it seems pricier than a regular high flow cat.

Believe it is EU5.

I asked for a photo of the catted version to see where they put the cat. I don't think you can discern anything from the photo in terms of what kind of cat it is but I attached the photo.

I went back and forth on this one quite a bit. Buying an EPA approved GESI and having it welded it in wasn't so much cheaper that I wanted to go through the hassle. Even after the exchange rate is was less than a 3.5" DBV2 catted DP and it's even cheaper than some of the 3" catted options out there.

DSC_1608.JPG

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Believe it is EU5.

I asked for a photo of the catted version to see where they put the cat. I don't think you can discern anything from the photo in terms of what kind of cat it is but I attached the photo.

I went back and forth on this one quite a bit. Buying an EPA approved GESI and having it welded it in wasn't so much cheaper that I wanted to go through the hassle. Even after the exchange rate is was less than a 3.5" DBV2 catted DP and it's even cheaper than some of the 3" catted options out there.

View attachment 214123
Based on the quality of their DP I would think they use a high quality cat also.