GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Not in the 7.5, but you can swap the early mk7 overhead cluster to gain them. I hear the they're mildly tricky to retrofit, but not overly difficult. Like a 2-3/10, from reading. I haven't done it personally, but I can dig for the part number/diy on here if you'd like.
The Golf R didn't lose the backlighting on the 7.5, so perhaps the R part would be a better solution than an earlier GTI part in this case? Maybe it's even the same part? Somebody has probably done this and can chime in.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Thanks, this is great info! Cutting out the OEM mount is a little bit committal, but I can get behind that. I'll look into a DIY on the hybrid bushing (as the instructional PDFs don't seem to want to open for me, but that's a whole different animal) and if everything can be done without too much issue, I'll go the Powerflex route. I'm a big fan of their strut bushings on my mk4, and they generally seem to offer excellent products.

Edit, for anyone else who's interested, I found this thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ing-the-powerflex-hybrid-dogbone-puck.351452/

ShopDap has a youtube video with an install DIY:
If you don't want to completely remove your OEM lower dog bone mount but want to fill the uppers, Powerflex makes an Insert:
https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/p...-front-lower-engine-mount-insert-large-a-2891
https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/p...t-lower-engine-mount-insert-large-type-b-2436

These fill the upper and lower voids without replacing the whole lower puck. And are in the 45 dollar range rather than 70ish for the hybrid.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Thanks, this is great info! Cutting out the OEM mount is a little bit committal, but I can get behind that. I'll look into a DIY on the hybrid bushing (as the instructional PDFs don't seem to want to open for me, but that's a whole different animal) and if everything can be done without too much issue, I'll go the Powerflex route. I'm a big fan of their strut bushings on my mk4, and they generally seem to offer excellent products.

Edit, for anyone else who's interested, I found this thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ing-the-powerflex-hybrid-dogbone-puck.351452/

ShopDap has a youtube video with an install DIY:

yes, cutting it is quite committal lol. But the inserts damage the stock rubber bushing over time, reducing the initial performance improvement. There’s at least one guy on here who, after 60K miles or so, dropped his subframe and replaced the upper and lower OEM Dogbone bushings, and installed new 034 lower and upper inserts lol. He swore by the balance of comfort and performance and was willing to deal with that kind of maintenance.

I went with APR insert because I’m APR plus, and also know that when the APR insert eats the lower bushing to pieces I will replace it with the hybrid puck

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
yes, cutting it is quite committal lol. But the inserts damage the stock rubber bushing over time, reducing the initial performance improvement. There’s at least one guy on here who, after 60K miles or so, dropped his subframe and replaced the upper and lower OEM Dogbone bushings, and installed new 034 lower and upper inserts lol. He swore by the balance of comfort and performance and was willing to deal with that kind of maintenance.

I went with APR insert because I’m APR plus, and also know that when the APR insert eats the lower bushing to pieces I will replace it with the hybrid puck
Some of the early metal inserts are known the bend as well. I think the powerflex or an insert is a good choice. Go insert if you're not looking to remove the lower puck. You can get a stage 1 insert like BFI that just fills the lowers, or a upper and lower insert like the non hybrid powerflex. I believe EuroCode makes a upper and alower insert along with ECS and some others.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Some of the early metal inserts are known the bend as well. I think the powerflex or an insert is a good choice. Go insert if you're not looking to remove the lower puck. You can get a stage 1 insert like BFI that just fills the lowers, or a upper and lower insert like the non hybrid powerflex. I believe EuroCode makes a upper and alower insert along with ECS and some others.

true - the poly inserts will not do the damage to your factory dogbone bushings that the metal inserts will.

so I would suggest Powerflex Insert. Looks and functions very similar to the Hybrid, just doesn’t replace the lower.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Im on the hybrid 70a right now... before that i ran:

1.lower metal insert alone - works good but minimal benefit to me. tiny level of extra NVH
2 Lower metal with the upper metal - literally ZERO difference from drivers perspective.
3.Spulen extreme 90A insert (same hardness and design as bfi stage 2) - super solid with zero movement. but the NVH were extreme, (very unpleasant for me)

now with the 70A hybrid the tightness is i would say 90% of #3 above - but the NVH is that of the metal insert, its hands down my favorite option.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
If you don't want to completely remove your OEM lower dog bone mount but want to fill the uppers, Powerflex makes an Insert:
https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/p...-front-lower-engine-mount-insert-large-a-2891
https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/p...t-lower-engine-mount-insert-large-type-b-2436

These fill the upper and lower voids without replacing the whole lower puck. And are in the 45 dollar range rather than 70ish for the hybrid.
I currently have the 034 upper and lower. If I was to remove both, I'd just need to get that lower insert?

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Electric power steering
With our cars getting up there in mileage, any service need to get done to prolong the life?
Or is it a stupid question because it is an electric motor and replace the electric motor when it fails?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I appreciate it. Do you recall the reason they did that? What was the benefit of keeping the upper?

Simply put, the powerflex insert is just two small little stakes that go up into the upper bushing. The 034 upper insert is still a better insert because you install a part that fills much more of the upper void than all the 2-in-1 lower+upper inserts.