GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To those that went from IS38 to bigger

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'm planning, or at least trying to plan, the next steps. I'm currently Stage 2 Uni, and well, it's not enough. I saved up some cash over the past month or so and now i'm trying to figure out where to go .

My initial thoughts were to go IS38 and either get a UM/APR tune for it. I'm not keen on spending money on COBB. But then, am I going to be in the same spot that I am, 6 months from now where I'm thinking that the IS38 is not enough, the answer is most likely yes. I know myself. I am gluttonous.

I've narrowed it down to two options: TPC20 - lots of hate around it, but lots of success as well. EQT Vortex, pricier, positive reviews all around. I'd need a HPFP upgrade. Looking at those two turbos, I'd need to spend money on COBB, as I don't want to go back and forth to a UM dealer to get the car tuned.

So does it make sense, to first get COBB with an EQT S2 OTS tune, at least that will keep me happy for a couple of months or so, I've read that the tune is far superior to Uni. And then in a few months get either of the Turbos and get a pro tune, since I already have the COBB in place.

As always, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Current upgrades are in the sig.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I also had a Uni tuned GTI that I wasn’t satisfied with, but the APR 87 tune on my Alltrack has left me pleasantly surprised. Since power is your goal, I am confident an EQT S2 tune would provide a significant driveability + power upgrade that would at least keep you happier for a few months while you plan and save for your IS38/hybrid upgrade, which you could then have custom tuned by EQT without those trips to the UM dealer.

Bonus: if you have E available, you can run the EQT Stage 2 E30 OTS map that comes with like one or two free custom revisions based on the logs from the base OTS tune. That would REALLY make a big difference over Uni S2, perhaps enough you’d be happy with it as-is?😉

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
whats your goal for power? Thats not a bad way to start off. Ive done is38 and now DBV2
Thats a good question. I don't have a goal for power. Its's more mental for me: too much is never enough. I'd like the car to maintain some sort of reliability but I don't necessarily mind having it in the shop every once in a while. But If I had to target: 400 whp.

I'm in Toronto, we can't get vaccines, let alone ethanol.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I did 30k on Unitronic stage 2 before switching to EQT which I’ve had for the last 10k miles. There’s an appreciable difference in power between the two tunes… Like you, I’m planning my next steps. is38 or Vortex…

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If you can't get ethanol, get a vortex with a cobb tune. Stock IS38s are known to blow up on stage 2 levels of boost. The vortex spool is amazing and they've addressed the reliability shortcomings of the is38.

Cobb is fine, and you can recoup most if not all of the AP cost when you resell it. I would try to get a 450 + PM4 or RS3 LPFP and MPI if you can swing it, but HPFP internals and a 450 on stock controller is doable for pump gas. I had a poor experience with an upgraded HPFP and wish I'd done MPI in the first place, but I'm running e85 so ymmv.

edit: saw your current tune. Definitely at least get a stratified or EQT ots map if you want a bump, but if you're going to spend the time/effort on a turbo swap, do it right imo.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I agree with the buy once cry once. I didn't and spent far more than necessary. I have and recommend the TPC20. In spite of my being happy with the TPC20 I would recommend the EQT Vortex. With the EQT Vortex you can have 440-460 HP on 93. The next step up is MPI and the LPFP but the cost for that is a big jump and the reliability and potential problems increase.

Last edited:

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
I went from stage 2 --> IS38 + HPFP --> EQT Vortex + HPFP + LPFP. I could've saved a lot of money by skipping the IS38 and went straight to Vortex + MPI + LPFP.
Since you can't get ethanol in your location, I'd get the EQT Vortex with the standard housing. It spools quick and you still have the top end as well.

As far as fueling goes for the Vortex, a upgraded HPFP and LPFP will work fine for pump gas, but I'd still recommend going MPI + LPFP.
MPI + LPFP will give you all the fueling headroom you'll ever need and clean your intake valves as a bonus!

Cobb/EQT + Vortex + MPI + LPFP = easy 400whp on pump gas.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I never hear many recommend the Vortex XL on pump. I have a lot of head room with this turbo if I want to push it further. Autotech HPFP on 93 tuned by ED and she pulls well. I have disappointed many drivers of "faster cars".

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I never hear many recommend the Vortex XL on pump. I have a lot of head room with this turbo if I want to push it further. Autotech HPFP on 93 tuned by ED and she pulls well. I have disappointed many drivers of "faster cars".

I never recommend the XL unless there’s plans in place for MPI/LPFP/PM4.

The standard Vortex is the HPFP weapon of choice, but I’d love to compare your XL/HPFP logs to one to see just how much differently they spool. I’m guessing it’s not all that drastic

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Jake - I love your videos. I think one of these days I'm going to ask for relationship advice or how to skin a baby back rib and you're going to reply with a useful video within seconds.

Thanks everyone - I think I'm going to do COBB EQT S2 and then Vortex mid summer.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
What plugs is everyone running with EQT S2 - RS7's? What do you gap them to?