GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock MK7 GTI exhaust cut open

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Very interesting, far different and complex internally than I thought.

Does anyone know how much the stock muffler weighs?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Interesting. From best I could tell, it looks like this is the exhaust flow?

1617803409029.png

Curious that there's only stuffing on one side.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
U know what. I bet the tcr and club sports have the same muffler. Minus all the insulation

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yup..... the dual mufflers on the latest Modern muscle cars all have actual sound wave canceling built inside the muffler designs as well, I’ve see some with actual 1/4” waves built into them, there a lot more technical theory and efforts behind many factory components that we all “hate” lol

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
U know what. I bet the tcr and club sports have the same muffler. Minus all the insulation
the CSS mufflers (and TCR) have also been cut up before and the innards shown. Basically remove ~half the piping that doubles back and forth. @AdamSheikh might have that photo around.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Try the soundakator off to see what the muffler is doing. I turned mine to 35% after CSS install. A lot more sound from the rear with new muffler.

Your does sound different than my older OE muffler. Hard to tell 100% from video. I will attach some pictures below showing the older stock muffler and the CSS muffler that someone cut open. I know the 7.5 has larger tips so maybe they made some more adjustments. As you learn more please share. Interesting!

What we need is someone to cut open a 7.5 if end up with it spare after a muffler replacement. Liked your video - unique touch!

Stock Muffler - notice internal chambers - poor flow.

View attachment 148487

CSS Muffler cut open. Note the flow thru design that a golf ball could pass thru. Also the extra resonator tube.

View attachment 148488

Outward CSS design similar to Mk6 but I think internals different.

View attachment 148489
Found it. :)

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
so why are the internals and external shape different between the muffler in the video vs one is the other thread?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Almost forgot to do this haha. Just had this cut off a week or two ago.

23.8 pounds (10.8 kilograms)

Edit: Just because it seems like it could matter, this is off of a US-based car.

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
so why are the internals and external shape different between the muffler in the video vs one is the other thread?
Easy answer: Because video isn't of the same muffler that we have. Look at stock muffler shape from avenali or the linked thread. It's a square suitcase. The one in the OP is 5 sided. Don't know what OP muffler that is.

*edit* Audi S3 exhaust. See my post below.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Easy answer: Because video isn't of the same muffler that we have. Look at stock muffler shape from avenali or the linked thread. It's a square suitcase. The one in the OP is 5 sided. Don't know what OP muffler that is.

It looks to be based off the Golf R exhaust, for some reason.

Exhaust in video:

1617890537868.png

Golf R exhaust:

1617890609033.png

It has the same pattern on the exterior of the case, and you can see the one in the video where it has the closed off section where the second tips would come out of the muffler.