GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE exhaust issues

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I’ve seen a few threads already about problems with lining up the tips. Even one about AWE sending the person a whole new exhaust over it. Hope that’s not the case here, but I’ve been adjusting and messing around with this thing for a few hours now and no matter how much I adjust it, the whole thing seems off. The left is sticking out about two inches further than the right. I know with the adjustable tips I can make it look like they’re even, but it feels like it shouldn’t be this off..

The picture looking down is with both tips adjusted the same distance on the pipe.

Attachments

• 0085EFF5-65DC-4718-B478-EC0E3F607417.jpeg
    0085EFF5-65DC-4718-B478-EC0E3F607417.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • D14CDF8C-BE66-4807-89D9-FD143D4AE5A4.jpeg
    D14CDF8C-BE66-4807-89D9-FD143D4AE5A4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
  • 55B27A6D-4B95-4E3E-A213-76097622E844.jpeg
    55B27A6D-4B95-4E3E-A213-76097622E844.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 103

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Also, don't forget to tighten down the locking collars on the hangars to hold the y-pipe in place. They should be on the outside of the rubber hangar

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Also, don't forget to tighten down the locking collars on the hangars to hold the y-pipe in place. They should be on the outside of the rubber hangar

That doesn’t seem to be where the issue is. If I try pushing it to where the tips are lined up, it starts to pull and twist the rubber hangers and it wants to almost push the rest of the exhaust. The straight pipe from the cat is centered in that channel right now, but for the rest of the exhaust to be lined up right, it almost seems like it needs to be against the heat shield on the edge of the channel.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Mine is the same way. I have to slide the drivers side tip further down the pipe to make the tips themselves even.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I can see GTIJake shaking his head way over here.

With the $1000 saved buying the AWE, I can get enough alcohol to make the tips look straight.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
My tips are definitely straight and even. It’s just the actual pipe underneath that’s not. Just feel like I shouldn’t have had to push the driver side in two more inches further than the passenger side to make them even. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• 2936874D-FB39-49D6-9740-71FD18CB0283.jpeg
    2936874D-FB39-49D6-9740-71FD18CB0283.jpeg
    751.7 KB · Views: 67

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My tips are definitely straight and even. It’s just the actual pipe underneath that’s not. Just feel like I shouldn’t have had to push the driver side in two more inches further than the passenger side to make them even. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's what I mean. When everything's said and done, the tips are even. But the drivers has to be slid further back on the pipe, and passenger side more forward to make that happen.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Did you check the "S" section of the pipe? The section with the muffler. Make sure the joints are seated properly and everything is aligned. Nothing should be contacting heat shields or parts of the tunnel. One thing that can help is to leave the exhaust clamps a little loose as you're installing everything so you can do a final tighten and alignment while working your way downstream. I have a Track on a 7.5 and had to do some adjusting on mine to get it lined up, it shouldn't be difficult though.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Did you check the "S" section of the pipe? The section with the muffler. Make sure the joints are seated properly and everything is aligned. Nothing should be contacting heat shields or parts of the tunnel. One thing that can help is to leave the exhaust clamps a little loose as you're installing everything so you can do a final tighten and alignment while working your way downstream.

Yep. Nothing is touching and everything is seated properly and it’s off. If I loosen everything, and try and turn the Y section so it’s even, THEN things become off and start touching heat shields.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Yep. Nothing is touching and everything is seated properly and it’s off. If I loosen everything, and try and turn the Y section so it’s even, THEN things become off and start touching heat shields.
Did you buy it new or secondhand? You might have just gotten a defective unit.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
With the $1000 saved buying the AWE, I can get enough alcohol to make the tips look straight.

Saved would imply they’re even comparable by any measure outside of being built for a MBQ car. We all saved a bunch by not buying a GT3RS if you wanna look at it that way lol, could’ve kept going and bought a Kia with Hunter Biden blow money to spare!

I can see GTIJake shaking his head way over here.

I wasn’t gonna say anything, but yes I’m disappointed inside.