GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but do Golf Mk7 TSi cars with no 'Start-Stop' have an internal BCM and/or need to reprogram the computer when changing the battery via scanner tool? Tnx.

Afaik if you have one of these hooked up to your battery, you should do the coding. I did the coding and I have a standard keyed ignition.
1595972854685.png

ervybaby

Car(s)
Golf2015 Mk7 TSi 1.8
Afaik if you have one of these hooked up to your battery, you should do the coding. I did the coding and I have a standard keyed ignition.
View attachment 188133
I just obtained a scanner (ObdelevenPro) and reprogramed the computer for a new and bigger battery even though there's no module connected to the battery.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Thank you for an amazing, informative and detailed writeup, @golfdave as always!

Unfortunately this morning my car was completely dead. Even couldn't use the keyless entry. The dash did display an error about the battery being low a couple of days ago, but I figured it because I was sitting and messing with VCDS, even though it did not happen before.

I don't even bother to jump start it because the previous owner fit an unknown manfucaturer battery with a low capacity. I'm going for 70AH AGM Varta.

Thanks again!

Gordon F

Passed Driver's Ed
A great write up golfdave but a quick question about keeping the car powered whist changing the battery.

I'm changing like for like, battery seems to be dying slowly and is now 4+ years old so just a standard replacement size wise.

Our car is in an outside car park so no mains electric to power a 12v supply.

I have, though, a 12v leisure battery from our caravan in the house at the moment and some cabling that I could use to 'jump' the terminals to provide a 12v supply to the car from the leisure battery.

Question is that is it really necessary for the 12v supply whilst the batteries are being swapped over? I'm kind of less than keen to have a +ve cable loose in the engine bay if it isn't totally necessary.

Can the errors that come up from completely disconnecting not be cleared using OBD11 whilst recoding the battery?

Thanks again for all the info (y)

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
A great write up golfdave but a quick question about keeping the car powered whist changing the battery.

I'm changing like for like, battery seems to be dying slowly and is now 4+ years old so just a standard replacement size wise.

I have, though, a 12v leisure battery from our caravan in the house at the moment and some cabling that I could use to 'jump' the terminals to provide a 12v supply to the car from the leisure battery.

Question is that is it really necessary for the 12v supply whilst the batteries are being swapped over? I'm kind of less than keen to have a +ve cable loose in the engine bay if it isn't totally necessary.

Can the errors that come up from completely disconnecting not be cleared using OBD11 whilst recoding the battery?

If you're talking about the tire pressure sensor error from from completely disconnecting the battery
- it can be cleared by driving a few miles or turning the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion

IQuestion is that is it really necessary for the 12v supply whilst the batteries are being swapped over? I'm kind of less than keen to have a +ve cable loose in the engine bay if it isn't totally necessary.
Just to add what caleb.mk7 said. No need to supply 12V, just remove battery and install new one. No errors should be stored requiring removal. Do be careful with you 10mm wrench on the positive post touching the body of Engine Control Unit (ECU) as that can be catastrophic. Can throw a towel over unit while disconnecting or remove negative lead first. Mind Golfdave's warning if you have battery control module you will need to recode which OBD11 can do.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

As others have said, you can swap over, do it is quickly & a drive around the block or a few miles should clear any warning lights. If you have OBD11 or VCDS that we then clear any stored fault codes.

Just with modern electronics I prefer to use the 12v supply method as I have the equipment...

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Just reading through all of this as the battery in my 17 R finally died. Going to upgrade to an AGM and started to look at batteries and parts. I can't believe that the fabric cover 5Q0-915-411-H in the US is now in the $52 range plus shipping. DAP is $65 shipped. Am I crazy or does that seem excessive for what it is?

ervybaby

Car(s)
Golf2015 Mk7 TSi 1.8
Just reading through all of this as the battery in my 17 R finally died. Going to upgrade to an AGM and started to look at batteries and parts. I can't believe that the fabric cover 5Q0-915-411-H in the US is now in the $52 range plus shipping. DAP is $65 shipped. Am I crazy or does that seem excessive for what it is?
Yup. Excessive. I didn't get another one and car is doing just fine.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I bought a DEI universal battery heat shield/ blanket kit for my lipo.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Am I crazy or does that seem excessive for what it is?
Yeah, it’s ridiculous. Granted I don’t live where it’s super cold, only gets like 35 overnight at the coldest here, but I ditched mine when I had my car. Our 2019 Alltrack didn’t even come with one.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Yup. Excessive. I didn't get another one and car is doing just fine.

I bought a DEI universal battery heat shield/ blanket kit for my lipo.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous. Granted I don’t live where it’s super cold, only gets like 35 overnight at the coldest here, but I ditched mine when I had my car. Our 2019 Alltrack didn’t even come with one.

I've been rewriting the thread..that black fabric battery cover is actually a fiberglass heat shield...VAG consider the engine bay a high temperature area for the battery which is why they shield it..there is also a polystyrene shield under the tray...they also state if you fit an AGM it should be shielded.....if you don't use the VAG one get something else...but don't leave it unshielded as it will affect the battery as water loss/positive grid corrosion etc...might occur...

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion

You need to shop it. After market they are under $20 shipped, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Co...it-for-VW-Golf-Touran-Tiguan-Eos/114207227966. OEM is 27.26 EUR from e-acca. I got mine there a few years ago and I remembered it being less than that. I purchased with a bunch of other stuff I needed to supplement shipping.