GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
Washed the R with this stuff. Worked well and the car had a lot of really greasy dirt on it. Tried the Turtle Wax Ceramic Wet Wax. Had my doubts, and have not seen the car in the sun yet, but this stuff seems to be the shit. I did use the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating a few months ago and have not washed it since. Can't set a bone dry mc towel on it as it will slide off a not totally flat surface.

And all made in the USA. Very inexpensive too.

z.jpg
z2.jpg

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Washed the R with this stuff. Worked well and the car had a lot of really greasy dirt on it. Tried the Turtle Wax Ceramic Wet Wax. Had my doubts, and have not seen the car in the sun yet, but this stuff seems to be the shit. I did use the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating a few months ago and have not washed it since. Can't set a bone dry mc towel on it as it will slide off a not totally flat surface.

And all made in the USA. Very inexpensive too.

View attachment 209161View attachment 209162
Looks good. I used their wet wax till their graphene spray was released. It is a way way better wet wax. But I use it as a rinse aid instead. Cheap too.

looks good!

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Put the WCT pedal spacer in ytd

it allows easier heel and toe as advertised - and also allow me to have the seat slided back by a notch in the rail setting. Overall, i think is a good change.
no "imaginary" throttle response improvement as some said lol

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Nothing at all wrong with using dish soap IF you want to strip the wax. I do that a couple of times a year when it is time to clay bar and wax.
On a similar note, is anything special recommended to remove ceramic coating? I coated with ck quartz about 2 years ago. In the not too distant future I think I'm going to do another machine polish and re-application.

cb1111

On a similar note, is anything special recommended to remove ceramic coating? I coated with ck quartz about 2 years ago. In the not too distant future I think I'm going to do another machine polish and re-application.
The advantage of ceramic is that it is impervious to most chemicals and the only real way to remove it is mechanically - so buffing it off.

Here is a little primer

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It’ll take a few months. Maybe 2-3. But u can weaken the coating with a weekly contact wash using car pro erase or the like

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The advantage of ceramic is that it is impervious to most chemicals and the only real way to remove it is mechanically - so buffing it off.

Here is a little primer
Removing mechanically is the easiest and quickest way

but if you plan things out. You can weaken and make it disappear little by little.

Let’s say you want to redo your coating in September. Come June, you can use particular pre washes that will weaken the coating. And you use it weekly. And a week or two before the big day, you can even try to introduce poly cracking too.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Replaced my front windows due to scratches from someone doing a poor job removing tint. Very easy! Dealer charges 2hrs each side, I did both in about 90 minutes (45 min each side). So much easier than on my mk3 and no broken clips.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
APR ? how much does that cost? standard flashing fee from dealer?

I am debating if I should do the same, still on stock clutch... I felt like I am lacking <3krpm...
I got it right after apr dropped their prices. It was 1k for the stage 1 and dsg. Since I was a disabled vet they took 100$ off the flash and I wasn’t charged a fee to flash either. So I paid $900 plus taxes.

cb1111

Removing mechanically is the easiest and quickest way

but if you plan things out. You can weaken and make it disappear little by little.

Let’s say you want to redo your coating in September. Come June, you can use particular pre washes that will weaken the coating. And you use it weekly. And a week or two before the big day, you can even try to introduce poly cracking too.
Right - but you need to be careful because many of the chemicals that will remove the ceramic will also harm the clearcoat.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
APR ? how much does that cost? standard flashing fee from dealer?

I am debating if I should do the same, still on stock clutch... I felt like I am lacking <3krpm...
I'm also switching to the high TQ(IS38) tune when my new clutch goes in. APR doesn't charge anything for switching tunes and neither does my shop.