GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone tinted their sunroof and had it crack?

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
As titled, really – I inquired a while back at The Art of Tint in Brooklyn, NY, which seems to held in pretty good regard, about ceramic tinting my sunroof and the owner recommended that I not because it will likely crack as a result. Has anyone experienced this happening, or does anyone know of a way of tinting the sunroof, or a specific type of tinting material, that is safe...?

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
My R doesn't have a sunroof, but I've had multiple cars, including my wifes current B9 A4 sunroof tinted. I had the t-tops in my f-body tinted too--never had an issue, and I'm in the south where it gets a little hot in the summer 🤣

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
When I bought mine it was tinted and so far have had no issues.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
When I bought mine it was tinted and so far have had no issues.
Okay that's encouraging. It's tinted noticeably darker than the factory tint?

these arent tesla's
Ha. Yeah, I've been impressed by the build quality of mine, but I googled this and found various threads in which people had been told the same thing about our cars, but still not sure if anyone's actually had it happen. Interesting that a fairly high-end tint place would strongly suggest I don't do it though.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
tint an already tinted sunroof? Mine came from the factory DARK

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
tint an already tinted sunroof? Mine came from the factory DARK
Mine doesn't seem that dark. My car's black and I've had a couple interior things like the gauge cluster crack while it's parked in the NYC summer heat with the silver thing in the windshield, and I recently removed the sunshade in mine as it had come out of the tracks and apparently costs a fortune to replace, so, looking for a heavy tint

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Got mine tinted when I had the rest of the windows down, only $50 more. It is a little hotter to the touch than before (as far as I can remember) but the radiant seems to be lower. There was a rash of them exploding a while back on MINIs, and half were traced to glass that has some small imperfection and added heat made it pop. The others were the sunroof molding being too tight, not allowing for expansion. IIRC, those were on 08-'10, no reports after those first ones.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
A number of Q5's on the Audi forum have exploded from this. It was pretty common on my old M Coupe for the sunroofs to explode too. Now some of the benefit of ceramic tint is that it doesn't get as hot, but it does still get plenty hot. So if you park outside a good amount of time, I'd likely skip it. If you garage your car most of the time and only occasionally park it in the sun, I'd probably take the risk. Down here in Texas, I'm not going to try it, and the factory tint plus sliding cover is plenty shaded, using a CoverCraft windshield shade when I park outside leaves the car plenty cool, especially with the sunroof vented.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Okay, thanks folks. I think I’ll skip the sunroof to be safe, my car’s parked outside all year round and we have the occasional week over 100 degrees in NYC. Just checked with my mechanic and he also said not to.

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020
Okay, thanks folks. I think I’ll skip the sunroof to be safe, my car’s parked outside all year round and we have the occasional week over 100 degrees in NYC. Just checked with my mechanic and he also said not to.
You saved me cause I was literally gunna tint my sunroof tomorrow lmfao

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
You saved me cause I was literally gunna tint my sunroof tomorrow lmfao
My feeling is that it’s *probably* fine but there is a possibility that you’ll have to replace the whole thing if your glass happens to have some kind of imperfection… so I’m not going to risk it myself.

VWeGoBeachNow

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 DIBM AB 6sp MT
Hi there,

I just tinted my windows a couple days ago and thought about tinting my sunroof but after getting quotes most shops advised me not to so I took their advice :)