GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Chat Thread

ottothecow

Looking to do my first ever track day this spring.

Any thoughts on the novice instruction/resources at Autobahn CC vs Road America vs Blackhawk Farms?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Looking to do my first ever track day this spring.

Any thoughts on the novice instruction/resources at Autobahn CC vs Road America vs Blackhawk Farms?
Depends entirely on the club you sign up with, I'd highly recommend laps inc for their novice program. Road america is not where I'd want to be for my first track day. Autobahn is a great beginner track. Blackhawk farms is fun but can bite you in a few areas if you make a mistake.

Whiskey

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
New to the forum. I live in the Chicago area. Just bought a 2016 GTI last Fall. I'm in my early 50's and have owned many, many VW's throughout my life. I was always jealous of the awesome looking GTI's, the sleepers that would drop Boxters like 3rd period French. So now that I can, I decided to build one. I am going to order up some Eibach stuff, and need to install Springs. Is there anyone on the forum that is willing to help a guy out for some money, or a good bottle of whiskey? This is my first time installing them, and I don't want to screw it up. TIA!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
New to the forum. I live in the Chicago area. Just bought a 2016 GTI last Fall. I'm in my early 50's and have owned many, many VW's throughout my life. I was always jealous of the awesome looking GTI's, the sleepers that would drop Boxters like 3rd period French. So now that I can, I decided to build one. I am going to order up some Eibach stuff, and need to install Springs. Is there anyone on the forum that is willing to help a guy out for some money, or a good bottle of whiskey? This is my first time installing them, and I don't want to screw it up. TIA!
Congrats on the car purchase, they're a ton of fun . I do work for a lot of folks in Chicago, send me a PM if you'd like to discuss

scotthilly

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Hey all, looking to install a Euro Short Shift on my 19' GTI. I got a quote from City VW Evanston that said $300 for INSTALL... insane. Anyone know any trusted indy shops in Chicagoland? Thanks so much.

nonoabby123

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
Scotthilly, if you drive through that parking lot next to castle honda in morton grove on the weekends, I'll walk you through the install.

It's very easy install. Not worth $300.

I have the same mod on my 6 spd sportwagen.

Boondock

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI S
Walking my dog last night and spotted a 4dr Carbon Gray Mk7 with a GolfMK7 sticker on the rear glass. In Schaumburg near Campanelli Park. YOHB?

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Anybody know of a decent detailing service? I’m also not super picky (car has 100k on it and looks it) so if any of you want to make some cash I’d be down for that too. I park in a parking garage and I hate cleaning my car so I don’t have the space or desire to do it myself.

scotthilly

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Anybody know of a decent detailing service? I’m also not super picky (car has 100k on it and looks it) so if any of you want to make some cash I’d be down for that too. I park in a parking garage and I hate cleaning my car so I don’t have the space or desire to do it myself.
Check out Elston Hand Wash for something low-key and cheaper. The owner is awesome and they do a great job. Higher end would be Chicago Auto Pros in Glenview - amazing but you'll pay for it.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The detail option at Elston looks like it's more or less what I'm looking for. I'll probably reach out to them. Offer stands in the meantime to anybody on here though. The car isn't filthy or beat or anything. I've just never done anything other than a quick vacuum/wash and run some Armor All wipes across the dash.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
I'm in the far north 'burbs if anyone needs a hand with mechanical stuff. I've installed the euro short shifter on my GTI already, and now that it's warming up I have a bunch of suspension stuff to install soon.

ottothecow

If you want more than just washing (polish, clay, correction, coatings, etc.), this guy works out of his garage in stickney and I had a good experience with him doing my ceramic coating:
http://ericthedetailguy.com/