GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question regarding street/track brake pads on non PP brakes (Ferodo vs iSweep)

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I currently have the Ferodo DS2500 on the front of the car, and EBC Yellowstuff in the rear (Ferodo wasn't available in the non PP version).
I need rear pads, and have a few questions:
1- Does Ferodo make rear pads for the rear non PP brakes yet?
2- How does the Ferodo DS 2500 compare to the iSweep 2500? Are they the same/similar compound? How do those brands compare in general?
3- I was considering going with the iSweep 3000 instead of the 2500 for the rears so I can have a little better braking when hot on the track, how do the 3000 & 2500's compare? Will the brake bias get thrown off?
4- Next time I need fronts, should I go for the Ferodo 2500's again, or are the isweep 2500 or 3000 better?
Any help or advice appreciated

Last edited:

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I can only comment on Ferodo's. I've used them for a few years. I do 8-12 track days and about 13K daily miles per year and really like them.

I don't think it matters much what you use on the rears. I use the Ferodo's on all 4, but I have an R. I would use any decent pad on the rear and recommend spending almost all your time deciding which is the best front pad for you. For simplicity I'd recommend the Ferodo's front and rear if availabe. As far as usage, I never heard much of iSweep and would make an educated guess that at HPDE's, in our types of cars, Ferodo's outnumber them in usage by at least 5:1 and probably more than that.

There is one write up about the iSweep's that wasn't very positive, but again this is only one datapoint (as is my recommendation).

Write up... i Sweep info HERE

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I can only comment on Ferodo's. I've used them for a few years. I do 8-12 track days and about 13K daily miles per year and really like them.

I don't think it matters much what you use on the rears. I use the Ferodo's on all 4, but I have an R. I would use any decent pad on the rear and recommend spending almost all your time deciding which is the best front pad for you. For simplicity I'd recommend the Ferodo's front and rear if availabe. As far as usage, I never heard much of iSweep and would make an educated guess that at HPDE's, in our types of cars, Ferodo's outnumber them in usage by at least 5:1 and probably more than that.

There is one write up about the iSweep's that wasn't very positive, but again this is only one datapoint (as is my recommendation).

Write up... i Sweep info HERE
Thanks for the link, I will check it out. If Ferodo made pads for the rear of my car, it would be a no brainer. I love the Ferodos in the front so far. But as of now, I'm using Yellow stuff pads, and they seem ok so far, but they wore out quickly. so I'm looking for a pad that hopefully lasts a little longer, and stops a little better. I feel like the rear end gets a little squirrely under hard braking from 120 MPH.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Kinda jumping in here to ask a brake pad question, Powerstop makes a Powerstop Track Day spec front and rear pads for non-PP and PP/R Golfs for under $150 for the fronts. Anyone have any experience with the Powerstops?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the link, I will check it out. If Ferodo made pads for the rear of my car, it would be a no brainer. I love the Ferodos in the front so far. But as of now, I'm using Yellow stuff pads, and they seem ok so far, but they wore out quickly. so I'm looking for a pad that hopefully lasts a little longer, and stops a little better. I feel like the rear end gets a little squirrely under hard braking from 120 MPH.
There is a bunch of stuff that can make the rear feel squirrily. As far as better rear pads, I have run the Ferodo's in front with stock rear pads and have had pretty solid stopping from high speed straights, but we have different cars with slightly different set-ups. A number of suspension issues could cause this, but here's a freebee to check out next time on track.

"Rolling" on the brake after a long straight vs. stabbing the brake can help the weight transfer and allow the car to settle. Although it sounds like you are braking slower, the difference between a stab and rolliong on the brakes is very subtle, but can make a positive difference. Also, getting off the brakes too abrubtly can make things get out of shape. Again, the difference it tiny, but it really helps. Rolling does not mean slowly. It's more of a smoothness thing.