GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap Impact Gun

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
What's a decent cheap impact gun. Only need it for taking lug bolts off and on?

Found this one. Decent reviews.

RYOBI IMPACT

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
That's a pretty killer price for 300 ft lbs.
If you're just doing lug nuts on a car/truck, you'd probably be okay with an impact driver instead of a full on impact wrench. I know this one can handle lug nuts no problem, and is also pretty useful for removing stuck screws/etc:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...Volt-5-0Ah-Battery-Charger-DCF887P1/312119539

It's pricier than the Ryobi, with less ft lbs to boot, but it is nice having something that accepts bits to remove screws/bolts/what-have-you

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
It amazes me how much muscle battery-powered tools carry these days. I had my Dad's heavy old 110 VAC plug-in Rockwell impact gun from the 1960s and it struggled even to loosen lug nuts.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I have that exact one and have used it for years. Mainly because I was already bought into the Ryobi battery system and it seemed like a good value impact.

I even used it to remove the crank bolt on my LS1, which is a torque spec of 200+ ft lb.

Sure, its not the best, but no gripes from me based on the price.

I like the 3 speed function-- on the lowest setting its not much tighter than hand tight/barely snug. So I use low speed/power to reinstall my lug nuts etc....put the wheels on the ground, then torque it down.

I agree with post above, I held onto air tools for so long, but battery stuff is pretty awesome and I was amazed at first at how powerful this impact was etc.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Could look at Harbor Freight for one.

McSkripps

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a Bauer corded impact wrench from HF that hasn't let me down yet. Note, I only use it to REMOVE lugs and NEVER to put on. Unless you have a finely calibrated impact gun, it's far too easy to over tighten and weaken/snap your lugs off in the rotor. I remove with the gun and put them back on with a manual torque wrench. But that's just me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a Bauer corded impact wrench from HF that hasn't let me down yet. Note, I only use it to REMOVE lugs and NEVER to put on. Unless you have a finely calibrated impact gun, it's far too easy to over tighten and weaken/snap your lugs off in the rotor. I remove with the gun and put them back on with a manual torque wrench. But that's just me.
Same here on the lug bolts.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I have the previous version, 2 speeds, it works okay for removing the lugs off the MCS and now the GTI, it struggled with dad's pathfinder though. You'll definitely want the 4ah battery pack. I could only do 3 wheels w/ the 2ah.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

I run the bolts/nuts in with the impact gun all the time. I just stop pulling the trigger before the bolt/nut bottoms out and let the momentum of the gun spinning run the bolt in the rest of the way.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I've used a Dewalt impact for wheels for the last 4 years. Gets tossed around at every autox event, hasn't let me down yet. I do use a breaker bar to initially crack the bolts loose. The one linked below is a 3-speed, and on speed 2 the manual says it tightens to 125 ft/lb, but that hasn't been my experience. I snug it with the impact (on speed 2) and still get about 1/8-1/4 of a turn with the torque wrench until it's tight.

Dewalt 3-Speed Impact Driver

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Awesome. Thanks for this feedback. Ordered that Ryobi and got the air pump with it.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Picked up the 3/8th drive Ryobi impact wrench and 4 position ratchet on daily special a few weeks back at Home Depot. Both have been great and can't beat the price. Plus Ryobi offers a 2 or 3 year warranty on it. (y)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm a huge fan of the milwaukee fuel stuff. There are some great prices on ebay. Probably more expensive than the ryobi stuff, but the M12 line is really powerful for the size. I have a M12: Stubby impact, hex impact driver, ratchet, drill driver. The hex impact driver is the most versatile. For lugs you probably want the stubby impact though.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This bad mamma jamma will run circles around that Ryobi

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2554-20#sp-specs

Weighs 2lbs, will put out 250 ft lbs. It fits almost everywhere so you’ll use it a lot more than a bigger one. I’ve got the M18 1/2” that does 1100ft lbs and very rarely use it because the 3/8 stubby is so badas.

I will warn you Milwaukee tools are addictive. So far I’ve got

M12:

-Dremel (they don’t call it that)

-impact driver

-compact drill

-3/8 stubby impact

M18:

-1/2 Impact

-hammer drill

Not saying everyone needs that kind of fire power, but the M12 & M18 battery suites out gun basically everything as far as performance & longevity. I can throw a 10+ year old M12 my neighbor has in my tools and it works like new...every other tool brand re designs their batteries every 2-5 years forcing you to re buy everything