GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a TCR Muffler for my US spec Mk7.5 GTI

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Thinking about ordering one of these for my 2019, but I see that the oem exhaust is 60mm whereas the TCR piping is 65mm. I would rather use a clamp than have it welded, but I can't seem to find any reducers between those size or an adaptor.

Has anyone with the 60mm stock exhaust had any luck as far as clamps/adaptors go?
I tried 3 different ones, none of them worked good enough. There was one that might've worked but it was out of europe and $20 shipping (and 2 weeks+) for a $10 clamp, which I was too cheap to try.

cliff notes version of shop suggestions if you dont want to read my rambling post from a few pages back:
weld it.
expand the 60mm end up to 65mm and use the OEM 65mm clamp
compress the 65mm TCR end to 60mm and use the OEM 60mm clamp.
weld a 65mm sleeve over the 60mm and use the 65mm clamp.

shop time estimates were 1hr (min charge) to 2hrs, so I ended up just having them weld it so I would've have to worry about leakages or it coming loose.

scott59

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI S 6MT
When I did mine I wrapped the joint with some "Tiger Patch" muffler/tailpipe quick patch, then put 2.5" (63mm to 67mm) lap joint band clamp on, seems to seal okay.
Just don't get the Tiger Patch too hot, can be pretty messy.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
When I did mine I wrapped the joint with some "Tiger Patch" muffler/tailpipe quick patch, then put 2.5" (63mm to 67mm) lap joint band clamp on, seems to seal okay.
Just don't get the Tiger Patch too hot, can be pretty messy.

How do you keep exhaust pipes from getting "too hot" ?

BlackT5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Anyone try an exhaust pipe expander like the ones you can get at the auto parts store? Some might even rent them.

Enlarging the 60mm pipe might not be that hard.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Anyone try an exhaust pipe expander like the ones you can get at the auto parts store? Some might even rent them.

Enlarging the 60mm pipe might not be that hard.
Interested as well, they are pretty affordable. Didn't know it would be near impossible to find a 65 to 60 mm reducer anywhere.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Autozone loans them out (O'reily too), I asked about it at the counter, the guy said it wasn't easy to use for the first time. So if I wanted to have circular pipes afterwards, instead of an octogon, get some spare pipe (buy or salvage) and practice a few times before using it on the car.

Northern Rabbit

Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Well, I finally had the muffler installed on the car last week. I ended up going to my local muffler shop since I was unable to find a DIY solution for the pipe diameter difference. And since the car was going up, I figured might as well do a reso delete at the same time. The shop ended up welding everything together, it was just easier that way.

I'm happy to report that I am very satisfied with the result. I can now hear the exhaust, I really enjoy the new tone, and the sound level is perfect for me. Louder than OEM, but quieter than a full aftermarket exhaust system. I can barely hear it when cruising around town, but it does come alive when you step on it, especially in manual mode (I'm DSG). It purrs nicely at idle, and I love the burbles when I start the car!

I strongly recommend this option if you're looking for a mild sound upgrade!

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Well, I finally had the muffler installed on the car last week. I ended up going to my local muffler shop since I was unable to find a DIY solution for the pipe diameter difference. And since the car was going up, I figured might as well do a reso delete at the same time. The shop ended up welding everything together, it was just easier that way.

I'm happy to report that I am very satisfied with the result. I can now hear the exhaust, I really enjoy the new tone, and the sound level is perfect for me. Louder than OEM, but quieter than a full aftermarket exhaust system. I can barely hear it when cruising around town, but it does come alive when you step on it, especially in manual mode (I'm DSG). It purrs nicely at idle, and I love the burbles when I start the car!

I strongly recommend this option if you're looking for a mild sound upgrade!

Nice! So what was your total cost?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Wow the prices on E-Acca are through the roof. $500USD?!

Northern Rabbit

Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Nice! So what was your total cost?
The muffler itself ended up costing about $750 with shipping and import fees, the installation + reso delete was $250. So about $1K in total (CAD currency).

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Just received mine today but the item number does not match (from e-acca). Can't find much on the item number (5Q6253611DJ) but it seems to be a standard Golf muffler, no?

Edit: on second look, that part number is the muffler? while the pipe shows the correct part number. Not sure if that's normal. I'm still wondering if I got the real thing.

Attachments

• 20210707_165153.jpg
    10 MB · Views: 112
Last edited: