GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buzzing from A pillar or B Pillar at specific lower rev range - Source location and solution (Pics)

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
Using the search function came back with results but I thought I'd share details with pics on my 2021 GTI on what MAY cause the issue in others cars.
New to GTIs and this forum so I apologize if it's been rehashed repeatedly.

The symptoms are as follows
On deceleration or when stationary, when revs fall between 2000rpm and 1800rpm a buzzing sound (some may call it a rattle but I find buzzing to be more descriptive) will occur from the passenger side in the A pillar area. When it occurs it almost sounds like the source is the pillar speaker.

The source of the buzzing (in my case) is a line bracket under the car in front of the rear wheel on the right side. The sound is due to the line connector shaking around around the sound\vibration just happens come through up through the A pillar area.

Found it by having someone rev the car and I just listened for the buzz from outside. Was super easy to find and reproduce.

20210321_095016 - Copy.jpg

Here is the offending part (I initially used a piece of velcro to secure it and confirm the source. Just look for your low hanging cable on a VW issued coat hanger and look up.
20210321_094947.jpg

If you are out of warranty and want to get rid of the buzzing, simply secure that line using either foam or whatever shim method makes sense. I've only had the car for a week and don't have diagrams so I've yet to see how it's all routed but the design could have been a bit better or maybe my car just happened to get line that was out of spec. Beats me.
Here is what I have in place until I can get to the dealer for warranty.
2 pieces of foam and velcro. No more buzzing.
20210321_101746.jpg

Looking at the bracket, it looks like the line is too long or cable shifted for that piece to fit snug in the bracket.

Looks like GLI owners have had it as well
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/2019-gli-35th-strange-noise-from-passenger-side.9319637/page-2

Hope this helps and if there was a better thread on this that I missed, let me know.

edit- crap...wrong sub

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Hmmm. My car makes this exact same sound. Mine sounds like it’s coming from a little farther forward but definitely in the right area. I’ll check it out. Thanks for posting!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Having owned & worked on VAG cars for 26yrs the above photo is as per design & correct....nothing out of place..

Just that sometimes the design can have problems...& again some of my previous cars have required insertion of bits of cork/foam to stop plastic sections hitting each other etc...

Its that last 10% which ruins the overall experience of a car...

Starbucker

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Thank you @Mandatoryclutchpedal! That sound was driving me crazy on my brand new 2021 GTI with less than 1k. I was convinced it was coming from the passenger front engine bay/wheel well. I would never have though it was originating in the rear, but your guide fixed it! Totally appreciate the time you spent to detail and photo the fix.

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
Thank you @Mandatoryclutchpedal! That sound was driving me crazy on my brand new 2021 GTI with less than 1k. I was convinced it was coming from the passenger front engine bay/wheel well. I would never have though it was originating in the rear, but your guide fixed it! Totally appreciate the time you spent to detail and photo the fix.
Glad to help.
Did you take it back to the dealer for a more official permanent fix?

Was originally planning to bring my car in but after seeing they over inflated my tires by 10 psi on delivery I'm leaning towards finding a new "home" dealership for servicing.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Cool.. does the car need to be on a lift to get to it? Did you have to remove the Wheel well liner to get to it?

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Cool.. does the car need to be on a lift to get to it? Did you have to remove the Wheel well liner to get to it?
No to both. You can also do it the lazier way like I did. Remove the tray, spray some expanding foam, done. Though I did not spray foam at that location, I did it mid way through the car where there is a hole in the underbody (you can feel the fuel lines going through there).

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
No to both. You can also do it the lazier way like I did. Remove the tray, spray some expanding foam, done. Though I did not spray foam at that location, I did it mid way through the car where there is a hole in the underbody (you can feel the fuel lines going through there).
Yeah, I am just having a hard time seeing this coat hanger laying down and looking in the wheel well area he is referring to. I can see the lines through the wheel well, but cannot see where they are hitting this bracket where they are vibrating together. Your fix will fix them banging together inside that channel, but will not fix those bracket connectors from vibrating together.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Yeah, I am just having a hard time seeing this coat hanger laying down and looking in the wheel well area he is referring to. I can see the lines through the wheel well, but cannot see where they are hitting this bracket where they are vibrating together. Your fix will fix them banging together inside that channel, but will not fix those bracket connectors from vibrating together.
They may still vibrate but I do not hear a peep from mine. Given, the issue may be different, its possible mine was in fact just vibrating the lines and not the connectors.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Mine was vibrating terrible and I went in and they fixed that vibration at the dealership. Now there is another one from the same area, but not nearly as loud. Sometimes it almost sound likes its in front of the dash. I can almost live with it, but would like to fix it, if I can figure out where it is coming from. I am not sure what they did at the dealership, I should have asked. I was just so happy to have the LOUD vibration gone. I hate to drive all the way back there to get another vibration fixed if it is something I could possible fix myself.