GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Civilized" exhaust

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I run a IE DP, Baun resonator, stock muffler, and BFI stage 1 motor mounts. Between the exhaust and the motor, plenty of noise for me. The DP gives a nice deep exhaust note and the resonator stops any drone.

It's loud enough that my wife gives me the eye every time I get on it because she can easily hear it. We have an agreement that any road trips are done in her car so that she can't hear how fast I am going.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Im still running stock downpipe. I previously had the TCR muffler, and it was just a little bit louder than factory with the stock DP. But for the price, its the best bang for your buck. Got it from E-Acca for about $350 shipped and paid a muffler shop less than $100 to weld it on.

I had originally purchased a used AWE Touring catback exhaust locally, but then realized MK7 and MK7.5 had different exhaust spacing. AWE wanted $400 shipped for just the MK7.5 Y-pipe so I ended up reselling it.

Now I have the Nameless Performance catback and its louder than the TCR muffler, but you can still have conversations in the car without having to raise your voice, and zero drone on the highway. Have done multiple 3hr long road trips in the car with zero complains from the wife about the noise, even when she was pregant.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Im still running stock downpipe. I previously had the TCR muffler, and it was just a little bit louder than factory with the stock DP. But for the price, its the best bang for your buck. Got it from E-Acca for about $350 shipped and paid a muffler shop less than $100 to weld it on.

I had originally purchased a used AWE Touring catback exhaust locally, but then realized MK7 and MK7.5 had different exhaust spacing. AWE wanted $400 shipped for just the MK7.5 Y-pipe so I ended up reselling it.

Now I have the Nameless Performance catback and its louder than the TCR muffler, but you can still have conversations in the car without having to raise your voice, and zero drone on the highway. Have done multiple 3hr long road trips in the car with zero complains from the wife about the noise, even when she was pregant.
You said in your other thread they're looking to develop a downpipe. That still true? Do you plan on going with an aftermarket downpipe with your current setup?

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Upgraded downpipe + resonator delete and stock mufflers are what I run on my A3.

Gives it a deep idle that's noticeable but not loud in any way.
0 drone and pretty much stock sounding under 3k.
Around 4k full throttle you can definitely hear it but nothing that's going to get you pulled over or have people hate you.
IMO I prefer intake and mechanical noise over straight exhaust, especially on a four banger

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
You said in your other thread they're looking to develop a downpipe. That still true? Do you plan on going with an aftermarket downpipe with your current setup?
Thats what the owner of the company told me last August. I havent heard any updates, but I dont really have any other plans to get an aftermarket downpipe unless theyre going to give me one to test out.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I run a IE DP, Baun resonator, stock muffler, and BFI stage 1 motor mounts. Between the exhaust and the motor, plenty of noise for me. The DP gives a nice deep exhaust note and the resonator stops any drone.

It's loud enough that my wife gives me the eye every time I get on it because she can easily hear it. We have an agreement that any road trips are done in her car so that she can't hear how fast I am going.
Tell your wife to wear ear plugs. 😂

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
3.5 inch, all the way back, one big muffler and a quarter wave tube. Can't hear it from the next car over on the highway

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
3.5 inch, all the way back, one big muffler and a quarter wave tube. Can't hear it from the next car over on the highway

I’ve heard a lot about your quarter wave tube... Have you posted any sound clips? If so I haven’t had a chance to hear them, but I would be curious to hear.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I’ve heard a lot about your quarter wave tube... Have you posted any sound clips? If so I haven’t had a chance to hear them, but I would be curious to hear.

I second that.
Thats fair. I'll see if I can maybe borrow a gopro with a mic, perhaps find a db meter too. If anyone's local to olympia washington and has any of that equipment I'd be more than happy to meet up and grab some footage and audio.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Db meter arrives today. Rampage fabrication, who built the exhaust, offered to let me use their gopro and DYNO for loaded readings and video. So thats a lot more than I was expecting to provide, but it'll be kinda neat to quantify the sound readings. Probably make for a better comparison to other stuff.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Db meter arrives today. Rampage fabrication, who built the exhaust, offered to let me use their gopro and DYNO for loaded readings and video. So thats a lot more than I was expecting to provide, but it'll be kinda neat to quantify the sound readings. Probably make for a better comparison to other stuff.

Rampage is legit, they do awesome work!