GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shift Knobs

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
Excuse the crappy pics but attached is my Sport Shifter knob as low as it can go. I think I'll raise it roughly an inch but you can see there really is a lot of excess boot material. I was in the process of taking the knob off to see what could be done with potentially trimming the top of the boot but I couldn't get the knob shaft unscrewed from the adapter inside the boot for the life of me. All I end up unscrewing is the top ball from the neck and it feels like if I try any harder I'm just gonna break something. Anyone else run into this?

Attachments

• PXL_20210317_225225130.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210317_225225130.NIGHT.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 255
  • PXL_20210317_225218639.jpg
    PXL_20210317_225218639.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 257

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah, both of mine have been able to unscrew fully, they don’t lock lite that thread cause some people with audi’s prefer the stitching on the front of the knob, and that’s how you access the hardware for the top coin to flip it.

You need to just unscrew the knob from the shaft when trying to free the thread that captures the shift boot.

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
FML. How do I keep running into these stupid issues.

I have the knob screwed off with elastics for grip around the neck of the shifter. On the other side I have a screw driver inserted in the shaft and locked in by the 3 hex pins. I'm still not able to generate enough torque to take the 2 apart...

Attachments

• PXL_20210318_165801254.jpg
    PXL_20210318_165801254.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 136
  • PXL_20210318_165817554.jpg
    PXL_20210318_165817554.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 130

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Wow... didn't realize you could remove the top part. I'll be installing mine in a week or two hopefully.

Perhaps wrap the top in a rag, use large channel locks to hold it, then grab a longer screw driver for the bottom to get more torque?

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Excuse the crappy pics but attached is my Sport Shifter knob as low as it can go. I think I'll raise it roughly an inch but you can see there really is a lot of excess boot material. I was in the process of taking the knob off to see what could be done with potentially trimming the top of the boot but I couldn't get the knob shaft unscrewed from the adapter inside the boot for the life of me. All I end up unscrewing is the top ball from the neck and it feels like if I try any harder I'm just gonna break something. Anyone else run into this?
Looks really clean and better than OEM. I have one coming soon. Here’s my 3D render

Attachments

• 3D2AD1E8-38B3-469F-8AE4-CD4BDE6633D4.png
    3D2AD1E8-38B3-469F-8AE4-CD4BDE6633D4.png
    178 KB · Views: 151

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
It’s close to as hardcore, minus the CAE price tag... just got a fancy trim to hide it.

Since I already had the diesel geek sigma, and solid endlinks and bracket, and I already had the custom trim right I was not willing to part with (won’t fit with CAE as you have to cut up the stock one to fit it)
it was a better move to go with cooler worx, it’s upgraded in the same manner.
Which version did you order, cause I see on Coolerworx' site that it works with 02 and MQ trans, but the buying options only have 3 02 transmission options.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Which version did you order, cause I see on Coolerworx' site that it works with 02 and MQ trans, but the buying options only have 3 02 transmission options.
Bottom mount 02M Version, (endlinks fit the 02q and the 0FB trans codes)

If you have a 7.5 you need to add a washer/spacer to the side to side end link, as Vw seemed to change that connection on the 7.5s.

I got mine from the N.A rep in Canada as did 2 others I recommended to them.
https://instagram.com/coolerworxcan?igshid=1syw9wnw1rnqv

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Got my Sportshifter knob in the MAIL! Like others have stated Roy was fantastic to deal with and I am super happy with the quality. I really had a hard time deciding what to go with. I decided to go with a custom GT2 Carbon Knob with a black stalk and the perforated black leather. (I wish Blue leather was an option) I liked the carbon fiber coin but I thought in the picture on the website the blue lettering got kind of lost with the carbon background so I asked for just a plain black top coin and a blue H. Cant wait to put it on.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I only have a problem if I admit it right...

This is the last one though for sure, I still prefer the look of the gray piston style but this one hands down feels the best for me cause the weight, shape height...also was the most painful to pay for - lol.

62CE4B81-C3F2-4BDB-8D0B-B67C007C5C0C.jpeg
86E70DB8-09A1-4DA1-B338-9CABB1A778E5.jpeg
F6E5D3AC-7D13-45D0-BE17-833E2BA9F25E.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So what is out there for DSG shift knobs? I currently have a BFI one, and not really too big a fan of it. The base of it is too skinny I guess? It just makes it look off.

Screenshot_20210401-090210_Photos.jpg

Just not a fan of the thin base between the boot and the knob.

I'm a fan of golfball types (muh heritage), but if not golfball, it would have to be perforated leather.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
So what is out there for DSG shift knobs? I currently have a BFI one, and not really too big a fan of it. The base of it is too skinny I guess? It just makes it look off.

View attachment 208723

Just not a fan of the thin base between the boot and the knob.

I'm a fan of golfball types (muh heritage), but if not golfball, it would have to be perforated leather.
Look at Sportshifters.com from the Netherlands. The base maybe smaller than you like, but the work he does is very quality. I got the kit for my 6sp.