GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Civilized" exhaust

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
After fighting with myself on what I wanted to do with my GTI, I had decided not to make it a ridiculous street missile and just do a Stage 1+ upgrade since this was still going to be my DD/road trip car (I like driving it too much to just weekend/track it). Because downpipes are basically not being sold anymore and I'm not a huge fan of getting gouged on the used market, I'm looking into buying an exhaust system that produces a nice note when you give it the beans, but doesn't drone at speed and is still neighbor friendly-ish at low-throttle. I'm aware this is a big ask (which is why I was initially going to just run a DP and stock exhaust/resonator), but does anyone know of a system that could accomplish this, or should I just leave the exhaust stock?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Two great recommendations, here’s a used Baun Performance CBE I’ll be removing from the owners car Thursday morning.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-catback-exhaust-mk7-gti.382323/#post-7606730

Between this Less Aggressive CBE and the CSS, the CSS is by far the louder option. Just depends on budget and what you’re looking for. Neither will drone at all, just speaking to overall volume at cold start and WOT. Either will be civilized in normal driving.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
baun performance

Two great recommendations, here’s a used Baun Performance CBE I’ll be removing from the owners car Thursday morning.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-catback-exhaust-mk7-gti.382323/#post-7606730

Between this Less Aggressive CBE and the CSS, the CSS is by far the louder option. Just depends on budget and what you’re looking for. Neither will drone at all, just speaking to overall volume at cold start and WOT. Either will be civilized in normal driving.
x1000. Have one. Love it

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I've always heard good things about Baun Performance, and they're very active not only on the forums but also Youtube with good information. After a decent amount of back-and-forth, I went with the CTS Turbo exhaust -- largely based on price. The CTS is about as close to stock as possible, in terms of noise level. Fitment is decent, I made some adjustments to the placement of mounting brackets in order to make everything fit as intended. No weird rattles or anything, and it sounds stock. Opening it up under load still isn't "loud", but it's got a nice sound to it.

Perspective: I'm 30 years old. I daily a 2.5l Mazda with a resonator-deleted catback with magnaflow muffler, and full poly mounts. It isn't quite what I'd consider to be obnoxiously loud, but it's definitely loud enough that I woudn't want to drive it in a funeral procession (again). On the other hand, the GTI with CTS CBE and 034 "Insuction" kit and TMD is very quiet and reserved when under very light load/idle, but under load it sounds great -- just the right amount of noise, without the drone/highway noise.

I looked at Borla, Magnaflow, CTS, Baun, AWE Track, and 42DD. Ultimately CTS was cheap and seemed to provide the results I was looking for, if I had the money I would've gone Baun.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I've always heard good things about Baun Performance, and they're very active not only on the forums but also Youtube with good information. After a decent amount of back-and-forth, I went with the CTS Turbo exhaust -- largely based on price. The CTS is about as close to stock as possible, in terms of noise level. Fitment is decent, I made some adjustments to the placement of mounting brackets in order to make everything fit as intended. No weird rattles or anything, and it sounds stock. Opening it up under load still isn't "loud", but it's got a nice sound to it.

Perspective: I'm 30 years old. I daily a 2.5l Mazda with a resonator-deleted catback with magnaflow muffler, and full poly mounts. It isn't quite what I'd consider to be obnoxiously loud, but it's definitely loud enough that I woudn't want to drive it in a funeral procession (again). On the other hand, the GTI with CTS CBE and 034 "Insuction" kit and TMD is very quiet and reserved when under very light load/idle, but under load it sounds great -- just the right amount of noise, without the drone/highway noise.

I looked at Borla, Magnaflow, CTS, Baun, AWE Track, and 42DD. Ultimately CTS was cheap and seemed to provide the results I was looking for, if I had the money I would've gone Baun.
Did you get the cts turbo back, or do you have just the catback with stock dp? How is the drone, if any?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Did you get the cts turbo back, or do you have just the catback with stock dp? How is the drone, if any?

I only did the catback with stock dp. Drone is nonexistent, the car is great for longer highway drives when just cruising. I fooled around with a Cayman a few weeks ago, and the visible double-take as under load it would make noise, but then once letting off all but disappear was entertaining. I'm a big fan, but also feel that Baun Performance's offering is a solid move. I can't speak to other CTS products, but the CBE is what I was after -- noise when I want it, but smooth and quiet for cruising.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I only did the catback with stock dp. Drone is nonexistent, the car is great for longer highway drives when just cruising. I fooled around with a Cayman a few weeks ago, and the visible double-take as under load it would make noise, but then once letting off all but disappear was entertaining. I'm a big fan, but also feel that Baun Performance's offering is a solid move. I can't speak to other CTS products, but the CBE is what I was after -- noise when I want it, but smooth and quiet for cruising.
I know his stuff is good, I had a DP on my last gti from Baun. But price is also a consideration too. I've heard good things about cts exhaust in the past, too.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I randomly came across an install video in Youtube. I was really surprised at how quiet it was at startup. It'll get louder as it breaks in though.

CTS has a "V2" version of their exhaust system. Not sure when it came out.

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I have the full cts exhaust. Downpipe and cat back. People hate on cts but it has been a great exhaust. It’s just a little louder at cruising speeds and loud enough at wot. Nothing crazy at all. Sometimes I even wish it was a little louder but for my commute it’s just right.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I have the full cts exhaust. Downpipe and cat back. People hate on cts but it has been a great exhaust. It’s just a little louder at cruising speeds and loud enough at wot. Nothing crazy at all. Sometimes I even wish it was a little louder but for my commute it’s just right.
Thanks for the input. Are you running a tune with that setup? If so, which one?