GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the Mk8 rear suspension aero covers or stone guards to a Mk7 Golf.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I installed the MkVIII rear arm aero covers a couple weeks back using the parts list and instructions provided by @golfdave. Thank you for putting this together. It made installation a cinch.

Everything fit perfectly. I used 8 of the 8E0 825 267 plastic fasteners and I can confirm the covers feel very secure and they didn't seem disturbed at all after a couple high speed runs in the backcountry. Can't say I've noticed any MPG improvements or wind noise reduction, but I haven't taken a road trip with them on yet. I can't see how they wouldn't bring, at least, some improvement though. Definitely a great OEM+ mod for such a low price!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Can't say I've noticed any MPG improvements or wind noise reduction, but I haven't taken a road trip with them on yet. I can't see how they wouldn't bring, at least, some improvement though. Definitely a great OEM+ mod for such a low price!

On twisty roads or in cross winds you should also notice an improvement in rear end stability.

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
They did it with 8 plastic rivets because on another website, a member stated that they got away with it using plastic rivets and then they copied off of him and turned it into a product to sell.

Then the member found out that the others in the thread were being wheeler dealers and were actually friends with a local VW aftermarket parts store and that they took what he shared and made a sellable kit out of it. They also started posting fake reviews in the local Facebook group and having the shop owners friends post good things about it.
Well that's one shop that doesn't get my business in the future

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
They did it with 8 plastic rivets because on another website, a member stated that they got away with it using plastic rivets and then they copied off of him and turned it into a product to sell.

Then the member found out that the others in the thread were being wheeler dealers and were actually friends with a local VW aftermarket parts store and that they took what he shared and made a sellable kit out of it. They also started posting fake reviews in the local Facebook group and having the shop owners friends post good things about it.

Stop spreading false info. As they already responded on the other forum, they buy the parts locally from a dealer in Toronto. The information for using the plastic rivets is provided in this very forum thread. If someone didn't mind waiting over a month for parts from E-Acca because it's cheaper, they are more than welcome to do so. People have also been calling you out as it seems you have a thing against WCT. You also posted in Club Wolfsburg stating that they can buy the part from E-Acca instead. Also they already responded and apologized to @golfdave.

As for the post in the club, they installed it on my car and it took a few minutes. They have all the equipment in a warm garage so I asked them to do it for me. It's impossible for me to lift up my car in a single car garage. Nor would I want to do that in my driveway in winter the winter when I have only one 3 ton jack and a couple jack stands. I have also uploaded a screenshot of what I posted in Club Wolfsburg.

Anyways thanks @golfdave for the info and mod! I haven't taken my car out for a highway drive yet as I'm work from home due to COVID but it'll be interesting to see if it does anything. I noticed on the drive home there was less dust and dirt on my hatch compared to when I was going there so there should be some aero improvements. I'm going to try the harmonic damper on my car next. Though it's questionable on whether it'll work on NA cars.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 437

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Stop spreading false info. As they already responded on the other forum, they buy the parts locally from a dealer in Toronto. The information for using the plastic rivets is provided in this very forum thread. If someone didn't mind waiting over a month for parts from E-Acca because it's cheaper, they are more than welcome to do so. People have also been calling you out as it seems you have a thing against WCT. You also posted in Club Wolfsburg stating that they can buy the part from E-Acca instead. Also they already responded and apologized to @golfdave.

As for the post in the club, they installed it on my car and it took a few minutes. They have all the equipment in a warm garage so I asked them to do it for me. It's impossible for me to lift up my car in a single car garage. Nor would I want to do that in my driveway in winter the winter when I have only one 3 ton jack and a couple jack stands. I have also uploaded a screenshot of what I posted in Club Wolfsburg.

Anyways thanks @golfdave for the info and mod! I haven't taken my car out for a highway drive yet as I'm work from home due to COVID but it'll be interesting to see if it does anything. I noticed on the drive home there was less dust and dirt on my hatch compared to when I was going there so there should be some aero improvements. I'm going to try the harmonic damper on my car next. Though it's questionable on whether it'll work on NA cars.

The problem was threefold:-
1. WCT used 5 photos from this thread on their website without asking or crediting ownership.
2. The way they linked to this thread gave the impression that I had purchased the parts from them & thereby endorsed WCT.
2. Even going to your local Audi dealership & buying the parts will cost you less then what they are selling the kit for.

You could have installed those covers with the plastic rivets with the car on the ground. Jacking one side at a time just makes it easier.

You state:-"I'm going to try the harmonic damper on my car next. Though it's questionable on whether it'll work on NA cars."...There is no real difference between European & NAR cars, so why do you think that it would be less effective on an NAR car, as the multi-link rear & bodywork is the same on both.

Does anyone else see the two skinny ass jacks being used to lift that car LMAO

Yep, but:- "They have all the equipment in a warm garage"......;)....mind you my two jacks are way bigger than those.....& I'm not a "pro parts supplier/dealer/reseller"

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
The problem was threefold:-
1. WCT used 5 photos from this thread on their website without asking or crediting ownership.
2. The way they linked to this thread gave the impression that I had purchased the parts from them & thereby endorsed WCT.
2. Even going to your local Audi dealership & buying the parts will cost you less then what they are selling the kit for.

You could have installed those covers with the plastic rivets with the car on the ground. Jacking one side at a time just makes it easier.

You state:-"I'm going to try the harmonic damper on my car next. Though it's questionable on whether it'll work on NA cars."...There is no real difference between European & NAR cars, so why do you think that it would be less effective on an NAR car, as the multi-link rear & bodywork is the same on both.

Yep, but:- "They have all the equipment in a warm garage"......;)....mind you my two jacks are way bigger than those.....& I'm not a "pro parts supplier/dealer/reseller"
I'm not so sure about that. I gave my own local dealer a call and was given a significantly higher quote.

Does anyone else see the two skinny ass jacks being used to lift that car LMAO
They're actually really solid 3 ton floor jacks with a jack stand pin to prevent it from coming down if it did fail. Definitely seems on par or more solid than what Canadian Tire sells.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm not so sure about that. I gave my own local dealer a call and was given a significantly higher quote.

They're actually really solid 3 ton floor jacks with a jack stand pin to prevent it from coming down if it did fail. Definitely seems on par or more solid than what Canadian Tire sells.

Cost from my local VW Dealer was £35.18 for the two covers & for 8 plastic rivets (as per their install) when I wrote this thread in June 2020 (& still pretty much the same) & at todays exchange rate is $61.11 CD.

I had another look at those floor jacks in the picture, I can see why everybody got confused. The single front roller type is usually on lower capacity "race" type jacks.

I tend to go for the big wide jacks, with my "low entry" one in this picture, my other standard version of this jack is the other side of the car..

P4160015-reduced.jpg

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Stop spreading false info. I already proved you and your friends wrong about the Canadian dealer prices on these parts with the photos below on another forum:
1615653003774.png

1615653011800.png

1615653019892.png

VW USA:
1615653029178.png

Either you or your "dealer" are fishy.

Also, just because using spreader rivets works doesn't mean that its an OEM kit. VW Factory doesnt use 8 rivets.

People have also been calling you out as it seems you have a thing against WCT.
Only people that have been calling me out are you, your friend, and the owner of WCT. I'm happy that WCT helps provide the community a source for parts and great customer service while doing so, and I recognize that there's some other local shops that aren't nearly as good as WCT (they shall not be named but the previous owner of my car stopped going there when shit hit the fan) , but when there's ethics and/or dishonesty involved, it must be called out, regardless of who the party is.

Last edited:

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
I've paid something like 25 euros for the whole set at VW dealer and the covers were made in my motherland. Multiply by 1.19 to see the price in USD.

FYI a friend of mine bought new Touran and it was equipped with similar covers from factory.

Cost from my local VW Dealer was £35.18 for the two covers & for 8 plastic rivets (as per their install) when I wrote this thread in June 2020 (& still pretty much the same) & at todays exchange rate is $61.11 CD.

I had another look at those floor jacks in the picture, I can see why everybody got confused. The single front roller type is usually on lower capacity "race" type jacks.

I tend to go for the big wide jacks, with my "low entry" one in this picture, my other standard version of this jack is the other side of the car..

View attachment 206140

Dave please what's that cover on right side just near the wheel? It reminds me cover for muffler due to that hole in the middle

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've paid something like 25 euros for the whole set at VW dealer and the covers were made in my motherland. Multiply by 1.19 to see the price in USD.

FYI a friend of mine bought new Touran and it was equipped with similar covers from factory.

Dave please what's that cover on right side just near the wheel? It reminds me cover for muffler due to that hole in the middle

Rear exhaust tunnel cover??.....There are different ones for multi-link or torsion beam suspension..

Here:-

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
P4160015-reduced.jpg

That one…I wonder where to mount it.

…the one in front of the rear left wheel 5Q0 825 206 C is flat (I have already installed)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
View attachment 206745

That one…I wonder where to mount it.

…the one in front of the rear left wheel 5Q0 825 206 C is flat (I have already installed)

That's the estate only cover for the rear right side space as I only have a single exhaust box...those with the "R" don't get the cover as they have two exhaust boxes...

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
That's the estate only cover for the rear right side space as I only have a single exhaust box...those with the "R" don't get the cover as they have two exhaust boxes...
Do you have the part number of that? I have a dual exit exhaust on my 19 but I was considering getting a custom single exit and using that cover.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate