GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
You should have left the first one alone maybe. They don't suddenly fail catastrophically as far as I know, so probably don't warrant preventative replacement like a cam belt or something.
I noticed a coolant smell from time to time with the original one, but never could see a leak. (Had to add a splash of coolant maybe once every 8 months). Got it replaced as a precaution at 95k and the underside of the housing was all crusty with dried coolant. Was definitely leaking, just very slowly.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I think that @ReadTheBook had a similar experience where some oil compromised a seal or something on his replacement and that's why he needed a third?

I think a lot of techs will probably do the "blind replacement" method when doing it as warranty, and not clean the surfaces up properly or otherwise take care in the process. Then you get another failure when it's the wrench monkey who's the problem instead of the part itself.

JD-1

Ready to race!
My 2018 SE w/ 44k miles has had the coolant light pop on twice in the past 5 months, each time it was WELL below minimum. My mechanic was doing non warranty work on my car said the waterpump is leaking. I'l be calling vw soon.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Well I'm a moron and had it in my head that it was 6 year 60k miles so I'm out of warranty. Dealership quotes me 4 hours at $1100, guess there's no real reason to have them do it and I should shop around. I have another garage I go to that offers a 2 year warranty on their work so I'll see what they say, unless there's any reason I should have VW do the work?

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Well I'm a moron and had it in my head that it was 6 year 60k miles so I'm out of warranty. Dealership quotes me 4 hours at $1100, guess there's no real reason to have them do it and I should shop around. I have another garage I go to that offers a 2 year warranty on their work so I'll see what they say, unless there's any reason I should have VW do the work?
As long as its a reputable shop using new OEM parts you should be fine. For reference, an independent shop did mine for about $700. They also did it the "long way" by taking the intake manifold off. Good opportunity to work out a deal with them on a carbon cleaning while you're at it.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

You can also see if any of your local shops will allow you to purchase the parts (some will and some won't or maybe won't warranty their work if you provide) and look into FCP Euro for their lifetime warranty.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
As long as its a reputable shop using new OEM parts you should be fine. For reference, an independent shop did mine for about $700. They also did it the "long way" by taking the intake manifold off. Good opportunity to work out a deal with them on a carbon cleaning while you're at it.
exactly what I did. Think I paid about $1000 for water pump / thermostat housing replacement and carbon cleaning.

JD-1

Ready to race!
Curran VW replaced my waterpump, thermostat, etc today. I took the car saying its leaking and still under warranty (I have the 72k mile warranty on the 2018s). They called me back an hour later and said they are replacing it.

For me it probably started around 40k miles, car is now at 44k miles but in those 4k miles with lots of sitting for a few days (covid) I've had the coolant low light on twice and both times it was well below minimum.

FWIW they did not care my car is APR stage 1, w/ IE open intake.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
For me it probably started around 40k miles, car is now at 44k miles but in those 4k miles with lots of sitting for a few days (covid) I've had the coolant low light on twice and both times it was well below minimum.

Currently having the same done to mine, just dropped it off. The temp dropped in my city to freezing for two days and I started getting CEL off and on. Coolant was a little low, topped it off and it didn't leak again. CEL continued to be intermittent, and finally last night I got an EPC and limp mode. Voltage to the pump was showing as low, and something was sticking open causing the car to not reach idle temp. Rough idle as well.

VW tried to make me wait 10 days, after a little back and forth and discussion of the EPC they took it right away. I'm assuming they will replace the water pump and thermostat.

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
Just dropped it off. Dealer said they're doing a pressure test, gave them a printout of the photo I took of the housing too.

47000 miles, noticed a coolant smell since about 30k? Started having to top off the coolant every once in a while at about 24 and had to really top her off often about 40k.
20210314_153011.jpg

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Just dropped it off. Dealer said they're doing a pressure test, gave them a printout of the photo I took of the housing too.

47000 miles, noticed a coolant smell since about 30k? Started having to top off the coolant every once in a while at about 24 and had to really top her off often about 40k.View attachment 206625
It's funny they are doing a pressure test with a housing that looks like that.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
It's funny they are doing a pressure test with a housing that looks like that.
That's their auto-scripting. They're probably going to offer to cover it because they know he knows what's up. If not, send this photo to VWoA and the service manager will be sucking farts through your jeans by the end of the week.