GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st Golf , 1st post , couple of issues....

Wooders28

Car(s)
Golf
Firstly, sorry for the long post, can't really find any info , so these maybe common faults and easy fixes....🤞

I bought a 2015 Golf 2ltr Bluemotion estate around 2yrs ago, and there's a few niggles started, I've been putting off trying to sort, but the list is now getting longer, and lights up on the dash mean it won't pass an MOT come September , so , wondered if theres any quick easy fixes anyone knows of?

1 - The most annoying, and unnerving, is the handbrake decides it wants to come off ,on its own. I'm old school, I park and leave it in gear, so jump in ,clutch in, neutral, start, lift off the clutch, then put the seat belt on etc, just to give the car a minute to get the oil round , bit of heat , phone on bluetooth, sort the radio etc etc.
Every so often, the stupid electric handbrake (the person who thought these where a good idea, wants a kick in the....) decides to let itself off.
I've almost run over the Mrs, almost hit a parked car in the supermarket and the Mrs has actually hit her car with mine!!!🤬

2- There is no , low level warning, on the washer bottle, no major issue (need to fill it once a week) , just annoying...

3- Rear wiper only does half a sweep, sometimes 3/4 ,sometimes it's fine.

4- After I've given it a bit of lead foot for a bit (1/2hr 'lockdown rush hour' commute..) , it goes into limp mode, with a ,low fuel pressure , alarm on the code reader (which now lives on the passenger floor....), quick reset and it's fine.

5- Water ingress in the back doors. When I've opened the rear doors to get the kids in, the plastic inner kick plate (?) is soaking and the carpet damp up the sides. I've tried seeing if theres any drain holes choked, but can't see any. This is on both sides, and the chances of both seals going at the same time?

6- Volume on the Stereo , turns the volume down when you turn it up, or off, or up super loud, so need to use the steering wheel controls as it's fine there.

7- Heated seats take ages to heat up, (had an XF before this and they where pretty quick), i'm over half way to work, and the heaters hot way before they are.

The only other is #3 heater plug fault, seemingly this has a pressure sensor on it, so not £20 to replace, but £260....oh goodie....😳
(Although ,it's not missed a beat when starting ,even at -10 ,if it wasn't for the light on, I'd leave it..)

(Also , the brake pad lights on, but bought the wrong pads without the sensor. Bought a full set of Brembo discs and pads, I'll fit them when the weather gets warmer...).

Again, sorry for the big waffle, but forums are great, don't want to be chasing my tail, when someone on here found it's a bad earth or free software update!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Sorry to hear of your issues.

No.1 on your list; this discussion thread on the UK forum board on this forum seems to be the same issue that you have; https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/parking-brake-when-off-by-itself.355511/

No.2 on your list; correct, there is no low level washer fluid warning on the instrument display, unless you have either xenon headlamps or the winter pack.

No.5 on your list is a fairly common problem. The seals around the door speakers on the mk7 Golf can fail over time. When they do, water can enter the cabin into the rear foot wells as you’ve described. If you do a Google search on ‘mk7 golf failed rear speaker seals’ you’ll see this has been discussed on a number of forums, including this one.

Wooders28

Car(s)
Golf
Thanks for your reply.

No.1 on your list; this discussion thread on the UK forum board on this forum seems to be the same issue that you have; https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/parking-brake-when-off-by-itself.355511/
I've had a read through, and wow, I thought JLR had bad customer service!
Tough titty, deal with it .....
Wonder if you order a Golf new, you can 'upgrade' to an actual handbrake?...🤔

No.2 on your list; correct, there is no low level washer fluid warning on the instrument display
Really?
First car I've owned that's not got one, since my 1981 1275GT Mini!
Good to know, I'm not trying to fix something that isn't there.

If you do a Google search on ‘mk7 golf failed rear speaker seals’ you’ll see this has been discussed on a number of forums, including this one.
Thanks again, something I need to address sooner rather than later..

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for your reply.

I've had a read through, and wow, I thought JLR had bad customer service!
Tough titty, deal with it .....
Wonder if you order a Golf new, you can 'upgrade' to an actual handbrake?...🤔
All UK spec mk7 and mk7.5 Golfs had the electric parking brake, with no option to have a conventional handbrake. Many of the members on this forum are in the USA and Canada, and I think that some - if not all - of their mk7 / mk7.5 Golfs do come with a normal handbrake.

The new UK spec mk8 Golf also has an electric parking brake, as do many other VW models sold in the UK.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There was an update recall for the ABS unit software.....& also there are updates for the software (operating system) for the infotainment unit...you need to go to the dealers & state you want the software updating..

October 2018 I had the ABS unit update:-The“46G7” update for the EPB, I had back in October at the service.

Also I'd check if there was software for the diesel engine also...found out my petrol was several versions out as never updated as dealers only update if its a serious recall or the customer complains about something, as they tend to leave it "if it ain't broken don't fix it"...

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Want to chime in a tad.

Not sure if I got the handbrake question right but if your car is a manual, I would throw it in 1st gear also when you park for good measure. My mk6 e-brake as I call it had nearly no strength at it's highest level. If I parked on an incline, the car would definitely begin to creep slowly unless I threw it in first gear. Was meaning to get that fixed but ended up trading it in before I dealt with the issue.

For heated seats, I'm not sure if you start at the lowest level when you activate them but I start it at the highest. Once I feel it bringing the heat (I believe quicker since you're at the highest level, it's working harder), I lower it to level 1.

Wooders28

Car(s)
Golf
There was an update recall for the ABS unit software.....& also there are updates for the software (operating system) for the infotainment unit...you need to go to the dealers & state you want the software updating..
Are the updates free? And I'm hoping I can just take it in, don't need to tie it in with a service? (I'm keeping the car, so I'll be servicing it myself now.)

Had an issue over the new year, I'd used the wifes car to go to work, as it hadn't had a run so clearing the cobwebs. Jumped back in the Golf maybe a week later, and the first hit of the brakes, the pedal almost hit the floor. Like being back in the old Mini drum brake days 😬😂, a couple of pumps and it's been fine since. So maybe need to see about an update sooner rather than later.

I would throw it in 1st gear also when you park for good measure.
I always leave cars in gear. My first cars where Austin Mini's (still got a '69 and an '81) , and the handbrake is just for show on those things 😂
Also with the Mini's, before the ballisted ignition, if it wasn't in neutral with the clutch in, the extra drag meant the car struggled to start.🙄😳

For heated seats, I'm not sure if you start at the lowest level when you activate them but I start it at the highest
First press goes to #3 /max, so just go straight to that, and usually #3 or off! It's above freezing now, so I've not used it for a few weeks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Are the updates free? And I'm hoping I can just take it in, don't need to tie it in with a service? (I'm keeping the car, so I'll be servicing it myself now.)

Had an issue over the new year, I'd used the wifes car to go to work, as it hadn't had a run so clearing the cobwebs. Jumped back in the Golf maybe a week later, and the first hit of the brakes, the pedal almost hit the floor. Like being back in the old Mini drum brake days 😬😂, a couple of pumps and it's been fine since. So maybe need to see about an update sooner rather than later.

I always leave cars in gear. My first cars where Austin Mini's (still got a '69 and an '81) , and the handbrake is just for show on those things 😂
Also with the Mini's, before the ballisted ignition, if it wasn't in neutral with the clutch in, the extra drag meant the car struggled to start.🙄😳

First press goes to #3 /max, so just go straight to that, and usually #3 or off! It's above freezing now, so I've not used it for a few weeks.

Updates for the recalls should be free, the others may cost...

The most annoying, and unnerving, is the handbrake decides it wants to come off ,on its own. I'm old school, I park and leave it in gear, so jump in ,clutch in, neutral, start, lift off the clutch, then put the seat belt on etc, just to give the car a minute to get the oil round , bit of heat , phone on bluetooth, sort the radio etc etc.

I've had to re-read what you do...basically it you that's operating it badly...NOT the car...

You need to fully depress the brake pedal whilst you start the car..thats why the foot on brake symbol comes on the dash.......this then activates the autohold feature via the ABS unit as the electric motors in the rear calipers for the EBP release when the clutch is depressed & released...

I leave my autohold button always activated & its orange light lit.....

EDIT:-
I would suggest that if you are leaving the car with the engine running that you manually activate the EPB by pulling the flip lever up....otherwise you are solely reliant on the Autohold feature via the ABS unit....which could time out especially if the clutch or accelerator have been touched enough.

Also leaving the engine running for 1 minute is useless with these cars, better to drive it off & keep the revs below 3,000rpm until both the coolant & oil temps are up....coolant should be mid mark on dial & oil above 85C...(usually circa 95C is normal running).

Last edited: