GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory air duct with dual cut outs

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Has anyone installed that ECS dual duct plastic kit and can comment on performance/temps? I get that it brings in cooler air into the intake which is great but my concern would be blocking the passenger side ducts that would intake air into the engine compartment. I'm wondering if the easiest and best way to do this is just drill out the driver side duct so air is coming in both ends. I think that's been the typical DIY mod anyway.
Blocking the passenger side has no consequences. It’s not there to cool anything at all

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anyone installed that ECS dual duct plastic kit and can comment on performance/temps? I get that it brings in cooler air into the intake which is great but my concern would be blocking the passenger side ducts that would intake air into the engine compartment. I'm wondering if the easiest and best way to do this is just drill out the driver side duct so air is coming in both ends. I think that's been the typical DIY mod anyway.
@Keehs360 and I are both waiting on ours to be delivered. You can get some of the effect by drilling out the snow guard. Certainly cheaper.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
@Keehs360 and I are both waiting on ours to be delivered. You can get some of the effect by drilling out the snow guard. Certainly cheaper.
I’m still at March 12 for ship date. U?

@Javwohl gave me a stock inlet that he dremeled out himself. I compared those logs to the other one and say a dramatic difference. But the sensor is post intercooler so I can’t call my data precise by any means.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m still at March 12 for ship date. U?

@Javwohl gave me a stock inlet that he dremeled out himself. I compared those logs to the other one and say a dramatic difference. But the sensor is post intercooler so I can’t call my data precise by any means.
Same here. I hope it makes that big of difference or otherwise I'm starting to think I should have just dremeled out the snow guard. I also wish that I would have got a closed intake so it couldn't pull any under hood engine heat.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Same here. I hope it makes that big of difference or otherwise I'm starting to think I should have just dremeled out the snow guard. I also wish that I would have got a closed intake so it couldn't pull any under hood engine heat.
I had one. The injen evolution. But my kids got me the injen open intake. And I didn’t want to seem ungrateful. So I slapped that one on and sold the evolution to @Javwohl

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Thnx. Somehow all of my kids are so independent and really good with their money. I never understood that. I’m sure they got that from their mom, I was spending my money on dumb shit
That's they way it usually goes would spend the money on my suburban and my wife would save it for trips and other family stuff.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dude I’d buy that and detune so I could run my stock downpipe. At that point it’s a waste LOL. With the is38 I can run a golf r stage 1 kind of tune and still retain my stock downpipe.
No plans for big power on that car?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
No plans for big power on that car?
Gotta track it first. My old track wrx’s best was 2 minutes 2 seconds. As is I have apr stage 1 and dsg tune. Intake. Exhaust. Intercooler will be on before spring. And I’ll be getting tires before spring too.

the gti isn’t very heavy, the autobahn trim is because of the sunroof but it still isn’t bad. I’m hoping for 2 minutes 20 seconds with all those mods. From there I’ll probably dive into brakes and chassis.

but if I feel I need more power, it’ll come from the is38. It just seems crazy to pay that much for like 40hp more. The gains aren’t as great since I’m keeping the downpipe stock.

the biggest thing will be the driver mod. I gotta learn how to work around the lsd lag.