GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NOOB to Stick

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
no, it’s your shifter linkage alignment.
I've done it twice but im unsure if I did it correctly. During my alignment, I don't have a white pin on the side to lock the shifter down. Instead I have a black hook looking thing the tilts up and down. I'm assuming mine is newer maybe?

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I've done to twice but im unsure if I did it correctly. During my alignment, I don't have a white pin on the side to lock the shifter down. Instead I have a black hook looking thing the tilts up and down. I'm assuming mine is newer maybe?
You have to lock the shifter in the car as well as lock the trans selector in the engine bay.

And yeah as said above - if it’s popping out of gear that’s def. a
Symptom of a very misaligned shifter

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
You have to lock the shifter in the car as well as lock the trans selector in the engine bay.

And yeah as said above - if it’s popping out of gear that’s def. a
Symptom of a very misaligned shifter
How would I know if it's aligned correctly? I don't have the tool (the 5mm little bar thing to lock the shifter) I used a hex key the 2 times I tried.

You guys are so helpful thanks for tolerating my anxious ass 🤣🤣☺️

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Find an alien key that fits.
i tried that and lost first gear for a second so I redid it and it feels like it was. I ordered the pin from diesel geek.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
i tried that and lost first gear for a second so I redid it and it feels like it was. I ordered the pin from diesel geek.

Getting the right tool for the job is usually a good start to any project. Think of this experience next time you’re working on something else that requires a specialized tool. Unless there’s a solid hack for a fix, you’ll usually save time, hassle, and money in the long run.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Getting the right tool for the job is usually a good start to any project. Think of this experience next time you’re working on something else that requires a specialized tool. Unless there’s a solid hack for a fix, you’ll usually save time, hassle, and money in the long run.
It's usually never a cost issue just the waiting issue 😂

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I got the BMS clutch pedal stop and it actually feels better to take off untill I get nervous about someone tailgating me.. I'm still waiting for the shifter alignment pin.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I got the BMS clutch pedal stop and it actually feels better to take off untill I get nervous about someone tailgating me.. I'm still waiting for the shifter alignment pin.

Is there adjustment with the Clutch Pedal Stop, i.e. if I install one, is it possible to mess up and not allow enough pedal travel?

Speaking of tailgaters, my very new '21 GTI SE is being babied for a while for engine break-in, but I was on an empty rural road the other day with a barn-sized SUV on my bumper. I was driving at 5 to 10 MPH above the speed limit and was alarmed at how close this knucklehead was. I decided to uncork the GTI a little and holy smokes, the SUV became a dot in my rear-view mirror. I was amazed at the instant and effortless acceleration that is on tap, even at speed. I think I'm going to love this car. 💙 (that's a Cornflower Blue heart)

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Is there adjustment with the Clutch Pedal Stop, i.e. if I install one, is it possible to mess up and not allow enough pedal travel?

Speaking of tailgaters, my very new '21 GTI SE is being babied for a while for engine break-in, but I was on an empty rural road the other day with a barn-sized SUV on my bumper. I was driving at 5 to 10 MPH above the speed limit and was alarmed at how close this knucklehead was. I decided to uncork the GTI a little and holy smokes, the SUV became a dot in my rear-view mirror. I was amazed at the instant and effortless acceleration that is on tap, even at speed. I think I'm going to love this car. 💙 (that's a Cornflower Blue heart)
Love the CFB colour. Would have gotten that if it was available when I got mine.

Most clutch stops come with several rubber spacers/washers. The BMS one I have has 3. I tried with all 3 at first and found that to be a bit too close to engage point for comfort and went with 2. However, after a couple of weeks of getting used to the new shorter travel on 2 spacers, I ended up putting the 3rd spacer back in and have been running it like that ever since (several years).

It is possible to have not enough travel if there is an issue with your TOB or if you got a clutch stop that is too tall or has too many washers. Best bet is to start with less than the maximum spacers to get a feel and go from there.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Alright my mad lads! So I got the new shifter alignment pin and went for a drive! 1st and 2nd have almost no wiggle and everything shifts pretty solid! I did notice that sometimes 1st doesn't want to go in. Did I align it incorrectly?