GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help Please! - Mk7 TDI - part found on garage floor :-(

mkvii_tdi

Car(s)
Golf TDI 2.0
Hi All,

Looking for some technical assistance. I arrived home today to find a bolt / pin laying on the garage floor. (which is never a good sign).
I've attached an image. It's ~113mm long and has a broken plastic disc at one end. The where I saw the part is roughly where the drivers side of the engine bay would be when the car is parked.

Could one of the Golf geniuses please let me know what part this is and how critical it is to the function of the car?
Ie can I drive the car to a mechanic to get it replaced / re-fitted.

Thanks in Advance.

Nb. From Australia, so RHD mk7.

Attachments

• vw mk7 part found.jpg
    vw mk7 part found.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 182

mkvii_tdi

Car(s)
Golf TDI 2.0
Hi, thanks for the response. Can I drive the car with this missing to get it fixed? or is the steering assembly going to fall out? Thx.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi, thanks for the response. Can I drive the car with this missing to get it fixed? or is the steering assembly going to fall out? Thx.
You can drive it cautiously but I would look underneath to make sure that nothing else is going to fall off.

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
Maybe you could zip tie the sway bar to something and drive cautiously so it doesn’t bounce around and do some damage. Make sure the other end of the broken end link isn’t gonna hit anything either.

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Maybe you could zip tie the sway bar to something and drive cautiously so it doesn’t bounce around and do some damage. Make sure the other end of the broken end link isn’t gonna hit anything either.
It really depends on how far the dealer is. I would avoid any fast corners or aggressive driving at all. The sway bar will keep the car in line, and shifting like the car would around a fast corner could be dangerous.

definitely not the same thing but similar, my jeep gladiator has disconnectable sway bars for off roading purposes and they do not reccommend going more than 20 mph with them disconnected. If you feel you can get to the dealership while doing this you should be fine, but I wouldnt recommend it. I hope this is helpful man.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Not like any end link I've ever seen...Are you even sure it's from your car? I doubt a part would just fall off where you park it.

mkvii_tdi

Car(s)
Golf TDI 2.0
Hi All,
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take the car *cautiously* to the mechanics tomorrow - and get them to fix it.
Appreciate the advice.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Not like any end link I've ever seen...Are you even sure it's from your car? I doubt a part would just fall off where you park it.

I agree. That looks nothing like an end link to me.

Front:
1614490314579.png

Rear:
1614490429973.png

I get where people are coming from with the circular cap part, but the shank of whatever that is looks nothing like either a front or rear sway bar end link.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Defo not a drop link.....No idea....could be road junk that got flung up onto the standard half aero tray & then dropped out when you parked your car...