GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JerseyDrew's 2016 GTI S build, a.k.a. Jersey Devil

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
Fuck FB and Instagram. I hate that shit and will never join either one.
While I don't go as far as disavowing social, as there is still useful information and amusing content, I none-the-less generally agree. The forum/message board format is superior for sharing, communicating and ultimately leaving a searchable historical archive for future people to use. Forums and message boards are just better for humanity in general for that simple fact alone (archival storage of collective knowledge).

You can't (not easily anyways) do that with social, discovery of past content is an after-thought at best, designed solely around "whats happening this very moment". It has the "memory" of a goldfish.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
While I don't go as far as disavowing social, as there is still useful information and amusing content, I none-the-less generally agree. The forum/message board format is superior for sharing, communicating and ultimately leaving a searchable historical archive for future people to use. Forums and message boards are just better for humanity in general for that simple fact alone (archival storage of collective knowledge).

You can't (not easily anyways) do that with social, discovery of past content is an after-thought at best, designed solely around "whats happening this very moment". It has the "memory" of a goldfish.
Social is about eyeball time, not information.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Social is about eyeball time, not information.

Yep, it's all these "attention whores" that want instant gratification just so that they can feel good about themselves.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
She's sitting pretty right before "surgery" starts.

IMG_20210225_172957130.jpg

IMG_20210225_173020878.jpg

And the tear down begins...

IMG_20210226_125716021.jpg

IMG_20210226_125638882_b.jpg

And just an overview shot...

IMG_20210226_125638882.jpg

More pics to come.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
GET 'ER DONE!!!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
are you going to DD the car when it back together or just weekends / drags?

since focus is on drags initially have you looking into turning the trans into a monster also? just banging through 1-2-3-4 in that low 10 sec run ;)

SQS Racing | VW 02M/Q (MQ350) 4°- 6° DOG Box

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
are you going to DD the car when it back together or just weekends / drags?

since focus is on drags initially have you looking into turning the trans into a monster also? just banging through 1-2-3-4 in that low 10 sec run ;)

SQS Racing | VW 02M/Q (MQ350) 4°- 6° DOG Box

DD for now till I can fully convert it to a drag car. The trans will definitely need an upgrade to handle the abuse. That SQS is nice which will cost me another $4169.22, to be exact, and that's without s/h.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
You’re going to find the limits of the stock trans quickly.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
And I'm ok with that. I can only afford one rebuild at a time and will deal with the trans after I am done with my engine.
yeah supposedly the input shaft and un-modded case start to get maxed in the mid 500tq, but like anything it just takes that one good launch to take it out, lol.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Nice work, Drew!

... the community had sadly moved on from forums (like this and vwvortex) to facebook and instagram. I hate that forums are dying, as social isn;t really isn't easy to search, share, and review information.

Forums have changed over the past 10 years, but they remain my favorite way to research. While I'm happy to "post-whore" my car from time to time, the majority of my visits involve quiet research and learning.

Fuck FB and Instagram. I hate that shit and will never join either one.

I've gone the other way: from "will never join" to "recently left." I joined over 10 years ago to connect with friends and family. It was good back when Facebook was friendly. That's no longer the case, especially with the way Zuck and crew have managed to infiltrate every aspect of our lives. I never used the FB app, especially when I read the list of permissions that users give. I did use the IG app. I removed the app once I understood that IG is FB. I deleted my FB account 30 days ago (delete is permanent as of today). I still use IG, but only with the Brave browser and while using a "browser isolation" technique. There are aspects of FB that I miss: mostly reading about people's VWs, Subarus, vans, and ham radio stuff. Overall, I think I'm better off without FB. It has freed a lot of my time. :) And I see far fewer ads now that FB cannot track my browsing habits. IG is a fast visit without ads. HAHA!

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
So the entire block and cylinder head have been taken apart and the cylinder head is off to The Head Shop to get worked on. Everything looks good for having slightly over 82K miles. All of the main bearings and thrust bearings and crankshaft are in great shape so that's reassuring but still going to replace all of the bearings with new ones.

158044916.jpg

158004026.jpg

158038161.jpg

158249484.jpg

158053150.jpg

20210305_160103.jpg

20210305_155741.jpg

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
So you have a DKM MS right? And the crank looks good...