GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The definitive dashcam thread

cb1111

Dashcam comments, opinions and recommendations (some with install instructions) are scattered throughout the forum - but searching doesn't really yield useable results.

What I'd like to do here is consolidate all those suggestions, install videos etc. into one thread that people can find.

Here is the information that might be useful:

Top budget brand:
ease of install: Easy (opening a bag of chips) medium (opening a bottle of wine) hard (installing a garbage disposal) really hard (rewiring the space shuttle)

Top full featured (i.e. expensive) brand:
ease of install: Easy (opening a bag of chips) medium (opening a bottle of wine) hard (installing a garbage disposal) really hard (rewiring the space shuttle)

Overall easiest to install model/brand:

Maybe add some information about tips and tricks (using inviscord or something similar instead of running a wire etc.), best places to buy - places to avoid etc.

There are lots of reports of people using a dashcam to prove that they weren't at fault, so it seems that a dashcam makes sense.

Oh, and if you have a link to an existing thread, then please pop it in here too.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I've had a few before (Apeman, Blackvue, Rexing) but currently have the VanTop H612 which makes pretty much everything else feel primitive. Not only does it have front and rear cams, it also functions as a rearview mirror screen like the ones manufacturers are starting to put in their high-end luxury cars. You can pull up and watch recordings on it on the fly, loads pretty quick. And it cost less than $100.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DF94H7D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Definatly interested in this. Never wanted a dash cam. But after seeing a story about a guy stopped at stop sign behind another vehicle that didn't want to go but then put it in reverse and drove at him. Lucky he didn't get hit and had a dash cam to back him up. Makes me start thinking it might be good idea to get one.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Definatly interested in this. Never wanted a dash cam. But after seeing a story about a guy stopped at stop sign behind another vehicle that didn't want to go but then but in reverse and drove at him. Lucky he didn't get hit and had a dash cam to back him up. Makes me start thinking it might be good idea to get one.
My front sensor thingy forced my car to slam the brakes on me last week! Some one cut me off. Got infront of me. And purposely slammed his brakes so I could hit him. And he kept trying over and over for two blocks till I finally hopped into the bike lane and went wide open throttle to get away from him

I’m getting a camera for sure.

this fuck face was clearly trying to pull an insurance scam. My sister went through this same bullshit two weeks ago too. She slammed her brakes and popped a right turn and got as far as she could from the scammer

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Yeah the article I seen was down in colorado springs. In the article they said it's a big scam that's going on right now.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Installation for these is actually really easy. Get some add-a-circuit fusesand that's where you'll get your power from. You don't have to splice or tap into any of the cars wires or anything like that. There's different ways you could do it, but I hate wiring things and anything electrical, so these make it really easy. I've got a front and rear dashcam plus a radar detector installed with a couple of those fuse taps.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It was a big thing in Phoenix a couple of years ago but I haven't heard about it lately.
That’s scary as shit. It’s huge in Miami. My brother was in his turbo k24 eg hatch and someone tried it on him several times! He pulled his gun out and shot dudes car 😂 then he pulled over, called the cops and showed footage proving his claim to “my life was in danger”

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
It was a big thing in Phoenix a couple of years ago but I haven't heard about it lately.

That’s scary as shit. It’s huge in Miami. My brother was in his turbo k24 eg hatch and someone tried it on him several times! He pulled his gun out and shot dudes car 😂 then he pulled over, called the cops and showed footage proving his claim to “my life was in danger”
It's sad that this is a thing but definitely makes it even more important to have video of the incedent.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
If you want great on a budget, you gotta go Viofo. Their camera sensors are excellent for the price and offer good and clear video.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I have a Viofo A119 V3 and it has been great so far. Clear picture, easy to use, relatively budget friendly (compared to something like a Blackvue).

For install I took a rather lazy approach and just ran the cord along the passenger weather stripping and down under the passenger seat. On my GTI I bought an extra long cable and ran it all the way to the 12v in the hatch. For the A3 just have it plugged into the USB's for the rear passengers. Works just fine for use while driving, don't really see the point in hard wiring to the fuse box.

I've had a dash cam on my cars for many years, after watching videos on the internet and realizing how incredibly easy it is to insurance scam someone while driving. I actually find it crazy how most people don't have a dash cam these days... The footage could easily save you countless amounts of money/time in case of a dispute. For example, some of you may have seen my post in the other thread but literally just a few months ago my GTI was totaled by a red light runner who told their insurance that they had the green... Sent my dash cam footage and they accepted 100% fault immediately and I got my claim processed extremely quick. Without a cam it could have been months of litigation, witness statements, fault negotiations.

Heres a snapshot from my cam moments before disaster:
1.png