GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valve/Injector Cleaning

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Hello all,

My car is getting a bit of a rough idle on cold starts and with over 82,000 miles without a carbon cleaning (as far as I know) I think it's time. While the manifold is off though I am thinking about having the stock injectors shipped out, professionally cleaned, and flow checked. I saw a member on FaceBook post results of his injectors being cleaned and the difference was outstanding, but I can't for the life of me find that post. Given the mileage I think this could be good preventative maintenance in the hopes that I do not get a stuck or clogged injector and I might uncover a bit of power as a bonus. Has anyone done this before? The guy on facebook was the first person I saw doing it, but it seems like a good idea. What do you guys think?

In regards to “injector cleaner” or something that you put in your gas tank I am not interested in doing that at this time.

Also I am looking at getting this done at Brentuning in Massachusetts. If anyone has a better shop suggestion I am all ears. Thanks!

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Not as far as I can tell. Although I can tell it has started to whine a bit on startup. It kinda just like it's missing a bit while it’s doing the high idle to warm up the cat. Unless the SAI runs that long lol. I thought it just ran 15ish seconds.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Consider just replacing the injectors with Golf R/S3 ones. What’s the cost for cleaning and flow checking (assume this is not flow matching).

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Consider just replacing the injectors with Golf R/S3 ones. What’s the cost for cleaning and flow checking (assume this is not flow matching).

$127 per new S3/R injector VW PN: 06L 906 036 AJ from ECS Tuning. The first shop I called can send them out and get them cleaned for $50-75 an injector. But that is just the first shop I called, I’m sure I can find it a bit cheaper elsewhere as this shop is usually the highest bid. The other shop recommended replacing them but if I’m going to replace injectors I will do MPI.

They also quoted me $495 for the cleaning. I don’t know what extra they would charge for pulling the injectors. Hopefully they would just roll it in since it’s all right there. At that price I might look into doing it myself too.

Pull up the AP and look at afr vs target at cold start. I wasn't getting any codes but had rough idle. Unhooking the SAI solenoid on the side of the block made me realize it was the SAI.

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-1594950128?log=0&data=8-9&zoom=3-211

Will do. Where can I unplug the SAI to check it?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I thought you were doing the MPI?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

That little plug on the top. That solenoid sits on the side of the engine block.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I thought you were doing the MPI?

Yeah, I’ve been considering it but after pricing it all out I don't know if I want to do it on this car considering the mileage. If I did MPI I would most likely switch to United Motorsport/Flex, do a bigger intercooler, full exhaust, and a better clutch. If I was going to do all that I would like to upgrade to a lower miles Mk7 Golf R and then if that's the case it seems silly to install everything just to swap it over within a year or so. So I’m considering taking care of this car and keeping at this power level until I’m ready to move up.