GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New here, jumped right in...

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
Hey fellow enthusiasts, picked up a 2015 mk7 DSG recently, first one, been shopping around for a while. Anyhow its got a dealer installed APR stage one, lowered as far as mods go. My 98' mk3 WB jetta is jelly... So I checked what service records they had and I get quite a bit of front spin and it certainly will get up and go. The haldex was serviced but I get the feeling the rear end dosen't contribute as much as I think it should in those front end spin moments. I know its been talked about here a bunch and I'm not necessarily looking to debate it I got a 3 year 36,000 extended warranty through the dealership at a employee discounted rate, so I'm taking it in Wednesday and talked to the service guy about the particular pump issue, so he said they would plug it in to the VDCS and run tests on the pump to see if it gets power, runs, and gets pressure. I guess my question is is that a good first step vs just buying a pump and oil kit to replace it?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. Definitely get the test done first. No sense in spending money that might not be necessary.

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
Thanks! Yeah I figured if they can find that its not working that it should be covered under the warranty

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
So you're not taking it to a VW dealer?
Yeah it's a dealer I called and talked to the guy, told him that it felt like the rear wasn't pushing when the front was spinning, and made it clear I want the pump tested to start, and if its not reaching the right psi that I'd like them to pull the pump and check the screen. Would you guys suggest I have him check the software version on the cpu that it plugs into to make sure its got the right version as well?

Rtarded

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 APR S2 DSG R
I think you are following all the steps most people here would recommend. If all else fails the rear Haldex pump could very easily be replaced and that would likely resolve the issue outright. I've heard of this problem and read extensively before purchasing my R. After I bought it I had the VW dealership replace all fluids on the car, and pull the rear haldex pump to have it cleaned and inspected. Mine had some gunk on it, not much but some. My car spins all four on wet roads at times but I'm APR Stage 2. That tells me that all four are going properly. I've heard of the gravel trick on this forum or another. Essentially you just park the car on a gravel road and have a buddy outside the car recording (The recording will allow you to examine it later) from dead on one side. Then you, the driver would gun it and see if only the front wheels go or if all four spin. or something to that effect.

Outside of that I believe you've got a good handle on it and I would recommend staying the course that you've laid out. I can additionally add that since i've had the R I've never had just the fronts spinning and I get on the throttle all the time. You are likely onto something.

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
So I left the engine house this morning and as we returned from a call yesterday I saw a good place to test the rear system I'm gonna try to upload it.

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
20210223_073449.jpg

Probably a 25 to 30 degree angle on that driveway

Rtarded

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 APR S2 DSG R
Here is a video of the Rear not engaging
damn yeah that rear end aint even trying it seems. I would definitely show this to the VW dealership mechanic as you move forward. It could either be that the pump is entirely clogged and unable to function for one reason or the other, or that the rear pump needs to be replaced, or the very worse case would be that the rear haldex unit is shot. I would imagine that it wouldnt be shot I've only heard of that happening once that I can recall.

Youre doing better than most people in diagnosing the problem and getting the proper help through the proper channels so you are on the right track to getting it fixed. When I took mine into the dealership to have them clean the rear pump screen they only charged me like 200 bucks which i felt was entirely reasonable considering the only one who understood what I was recommending was my VW Master mechanic or whatever his title was. However mind was working in the first place. If you need a reference to that mechanic I can give you the name of the dealership. Im outside Chicago. Either way man I hope you can get it fixed. PM me if you need anything that I can help with.

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
damn yeah that rear end aint even trying it seems. I would definitely show this to the VW dealership mechanic as you move forward. It could either be that the pump is entirely clogged and unable to function for one reason or the other, or that the rear pump needs to be replaced, or the very worse case would be that the rear haldex unit is shot. I would imagine that it wouldnt be shot I've only heard of that happening once that I can recall.

Youre doing better than most people in diagnosing the problem and getting the proper help through the proper channels so you are on the right track to getting it fixed. When I took mine into the dealership to have them clean the rear pump screen they only charged me like 200 bucks which i felt was entirely reasonable considering the only one who understood what I was recommending was my VW Master mechanic or whatever his title was. However mind was working in the first place. If you need a reference to that mechanic I can give you the name of the dealership. Im outside Chicago. Either way man I hope you can get it fixed. PM me if you need anything that I can help with.
Thanks! Yeah they seem to be understanding of what's goin on so hopefully there's no hiccups, although the mechanic I talk to initially gave me the "we've never heard of this issue before" which I know is probably a load of crap and a standard response but he knows what I want them to do so we'll see how it goes from here. I'm about 3 hours east of the windy city 👍

Last edited:

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
So came back with a faulty pump, couple screen shots from the video they sent me

Drained oil
20210224_161016.jpg

And the screen on the pump
20210224_161003.jpg

So now I wait......