GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension differences I’ve noticed SE vs autobahn

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Just wondering if anyone else can add, corroborate or tell me I’m absolutely wrong.

some info on me first. My 2020 autobahn is my first vw and I got it new in August 2020. As of now she has about 3000 miles. I don’t drive much and I don’t know the platform as much as many of you. Hence why I’d like to discuss this. I’m here to learn.

2020 autobahn is dsg. Apr stage 1 and dsg. Injen intake. Beluga cat back. Increased traction on vaq is enabled. Xds was left on the stock setting after some experimentation. Stock shitty Bridgestone tires.

I got to drive a neighbors SE. his is also dsg. And I noticed a few things about how his suspension behaves vs my dcc shocks

my friends SE. 2018 dsg. Eqt stage 1 (ots) and eqt dsg. Apr closed intake. Tcr muffler. Xds never tampered with but vaq was on increased traction setting. 22k miles. Michelin as3+ Tires.

1) the se’s rebound is harsher than the autobahn’s (in sport) by a good margin. The se feels over dampened in a way, not as bad as a focus rs but it’s uncomfortable going over train tracks at 5mph

2) when braking hard, the autobahn doesn’t dive. At all. The se definitely did. I know some cars with digi dampers tighten up the front for a quick bit when braking aggressively and that’s why these cars don’t dive under heavy brakes. Is this why my autobahn doesn’t dive?

3) when accelerating at wot the se squats a bit. My autobahn doesn’t at all. Again, is it because the autobahn’s rear shocks tighten up for a bit, to prevent rear squat?

4) hard left turn, slightly downward slope. The SE has a bit of roll. But it isn’t much at all. My autobahn however, on this same turn too, feels flat. Is it tightening up the left front and left rear shock temporarily to keep the car from rolling more than it should?

5) the rear on the SE felt a tiny bit loose. I could feel some chassis flex. But not a whole lot, just enough to where I could notice it at 8/10’s. This is expected considering it’s a 4 banger and all. But my autobahn, I don’t feel the rear chassis flexing till I’m at 10/10’s and even then it’s not as bad as the SE.

Am I just imagining these things?!? I figure I can’t possibly be imaging it, that would make me crazy. Thoughts please?

EDIT both vehicles are on stock oem springs

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
2) when braking hard, the autobahn doesn’t dive. At all. The se definitely did. I know some cars with digi dampers tighten up the front for a quick bit when braking aggressively and that’s why these cars don’t dive under heavy brakes. Is this why my autobahn doesn’t dive?

3) when accelerating at wot the se squats a bit. My autobahn doesn’t at all. Again, is it because the autobahn’s rear shocks tighten up for a bit, to prevent rear squat?

4) hard left turn, slightly downward slope. The SE has a bit of roll. But it isn’t much at all. My autobahn however, on this same turn too, feels flat. Is it tightening up the left front and left rear shock temporarily to keep the car from rolling more than it should?
I have an '18 SE and these are SPOT on....some of the main reasons I just threw coilovers on (besides moar low). #4 made me rub tire/fender on certain on/off ramps around where I live....with OEM gap! Dove, squat and rolled consistently. Not now :)

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
The train tracks test and nose dive is what I noticed as a huge improvement when I swapped out the factory springs and dampers from my ‘19 S for the VWR cup kit. On factory springs and dampers, train tracks were a double jolt. The VWR Kit glides right over train tracks. Nose dive has been eliminated as well.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah p much everything you’re describing is the difference between DCC and non-DCC. No squatting/nose diving on accel/decel, drastically reduced body roll in similar turning situations, generally smoother/more compliant, yet better performance.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yeah p much everything you’re describing is the difference between DCC and non-DCC. No squatting/nose diving on accel/decel, drastically reduced body roll in similar turning situations, generally smoother/more compliant, yet better performance.
So does the dcc behave the way in describing? Is it actually tightening up the front to prevent brake dive? Is it tightening up the rear to prevent squat?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The train tracks test and nose dive is what I noticed as a huge improvement when I swapped out the factory springs and dampers from my ‘19 S for the VWR cup kit. On factory springs and dampers, train tracks were a double jolt. The VWR Kit glides right over train tracks. Nose dive has been eliminated as well.
Bro the Hialeah train track test, it was the ultimate test. It’s how we checked for damping and rebound 😂

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
So does the dcc behave the way in describing? Is it actually tightening up the front to prevent brake dive? Is it tightening up the rear to prevent squat?

Yes. DCC has a bunch of control sensors/modules around the body of the vehicle that actively measure body roll and take inputs like steering angle, wheel speed, brake pedal position, yada yada. VW claims DCC's "brain" can make up to 100 decisions per second.

in turns, it stiffens the outer dampers to prevent body roll. in braking it stiffens the front dampers to prevent nose diving. in acceleration it stiffents rear dampers to prevent squatting.

and it has different profiles for the extent to how early it intervenes and how intensely based on Driver Profile (Sport/Normal/Comfort)

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yes. DCC has a bunch of control sensors/modules around the body of the vehicle that actively measure body roll and take inputs like steering angle, wheel speed, brake pedal position, yada yada.

in turns, it stiffens the outer dampers to prevent body roll. in braking it stiffens the front dampers to prevent nose diving. in acceleration it stiffents rear dampers to prevent squatting.

and it has different profiles for the extent to how early it intervenes and how intensely based on Driver Profile (Sport/Normal/Comfort)
Thanks for that explanation. The way the autobahn feels, I don’t even want to swap the rear sway bar. It doesn’t need it. I’d put a rear chassis brace for sure though

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Thanks for that explanation. The way the autobahn feels, I don’t even want to swap the rear sway bar. It doesn’t need it. I’d put a rear chassis brace for sure though

maybe just get a Superpro 22mm solid. Only .3mm larger than stock, but it’s solid so still adds more stiffness.