GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side Markers

MK7_WAGON

Car(s)
2017 Golf Alltrack
I have a 2017 Alltrack S. I have the halogen housings and I’m just curious what type of bulb is required for the side marker? Or if it’s even possible to replace it

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
According to the self study guide the Halogen units have the following bulbs:-

H15 (55w/15w) which does the Highbeam, parking lights, & DRL

H7 (55w) which does the dipped beam

PWY24W (24W) which does the turn signal....

Halogen headlights.jpg

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Is the side marker just a reflector? That might be why no one has been able to provide an answer on the type of bulb used.

E18759D4-85E4-4833-8C66-157C9E2B3254.jpeg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is the side marker just a reflector? That might be why no one has been able to provide an answer on the type of bulb used.

View attachment 204093

UK vehicles won't have sidemakers

EU vehicles as that's the self study guide from VW Germany issued in 2013 that I posted

I knew about the orange side panel on NAR spec cars, just thought they were only reflectors....didn't realise they actually had a bulb behind them that lit up!

In UK & EU we have a clear trim/reflector in that position, without a bulb.

Last edited:

cb1111

I think so. This is similar to what mine looks like

View attachment 204093
Nope. The side marker is not just a reflector. From FMVSS 108:

S5.5.7On each passenger car and motorcycle, and on each multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus of less than 80 inches overall width:(a) When the parking lamps are activated, the taillamps, license plate lamps, and side marker lamps shall also be activated; and(b) When the headlamps are activated in a steady-burning state, the tail lamps, parking lamps, license plate lamps and side marker lamps shall also be activated.

So while the side marker needs to have an illumination source AND a reflector, there does not appear a requirement for a separate bulb, so the active illumination could come from the headlight bulb - but I doubt it.

Last edited: