GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6 speed DSG fluid replacement technique

goonie284

Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Hey guys! I had a question about the DSG fluid replacement procedure technique, perhaps someone who has performed it can comment.

I see the procedure is to basically:
  1. overfill the transmission from the drain port,
  2. quickly swap the drain port fill plug with the OEM drain plug, and try not to spill too much fluid in the process.
  3. Next you warm up the transmission fluid to the prescribed temperature (35C-45C) and then remove the OEM drain plug to let the excess fluid escape.

My question is: why not just keep the drain port fill plug in the transmission with the ball valve closed after filling? (like this one: DAP # VAS6262 ) Once the transmission reaches the prescribed temperature you could open the ball valve and let the fluid drain. Once the fluid slows to a drip you could then swap it with the OEM drain plug and torque it down.

The only logical issues I can imagine with this are if the pressure in the transmission is high enough to possibly blow off the tubing from the fill plug but this seems unlikely since the DSG has an overflow vent. The second issue I could imagine is if there is a small window of opportunity between 35C and 45C temperatures where the fluid might not drain fast enough out through the drain port fill plug.

Don't take this too seriously, I'm just surprised the procedure is "try to be quick and not spill much" so of course I imagine myself bobbling the drain plug as all the fluid pours out :p

Thanks!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Lots of tricks I’ve learned

best one is filling the tranny from the filter. Just gotta make sure you don’t make a mess.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I just did this service using that tool and the bottom fill/overfill/drain @ temp to set the proper level method a few mos. ago which is how you are supposed to do this to ensure it's filled to the correct level - I get some go through the top but that is predicated on knowing exactly how much fluid came out and to me, doing it from the bottom isn't that hard and I have heard that it fills v. slowly from the top; the bottom fill is quick but you do need to poke holes in the bottles to increase the flow to the trans. It's not really that messy if you are quick to remove the tool/replace the drain plug. If you left the tool in the drain plug, the tube is long so it's not going to drain quite like you are thinking as if you had the tool with the ball-valve at the trans and removed the tube. Also, you won't be able to accurately gauge when it's time to replace the drain pug b/c you will be getting some spurts etc. as it reaches the correct level. Honestly, this isn't that difficult to do the way the DIY videos show it and it seems to be the standard way so I just stuck with it.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I just did this service using that tool and the bottom fill/overfill/drain @ temp to set the proper level method a few mos. ago which is how you are supposed to do this to ensure it's filled to the correct level - I get some go through the top but that is predicated on knowing exactly how much fluid came out and to me, doing it from the bottom isn't that hard and I have heard that it fills v. slowly from the top; the bottom fill is quick but you do need to poke holes in the bottles to increase the flow to the trans. It's not really that messy if you are quick to remove the tool/replace the drain plug. If you left the tool in the drain plug, the tube is long so it's not going to drain quite like you are thinking as if you had the tool with the ball-valve at the trans and removed the tube. Also, you won't be able to accurately gauge when it's time to replace the drain pug b/c you will be getting some spurts etc. as it reaches the correct level. Honestly, this isn't that difficult to do the way the DIY videos show it and it seems to be the standard way so I just stuck with it.
This is definitely the best way of doing it vs filling through the oil filter hole.
Filling from the top makes a tiny mess. And getting your hand in there to clean it perfectly is a pain.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
9 DSG fluid changes between my 2 cars and friends. All top fill through filter tube, never had any issues. Use this funnel with a bungie to hold it upright. Not really slow filling (no holes punched in bottles), about half a beer per container timewise ;). Overfill slightly to 4.8 or 4.9 qts then do remainder of procedure as outlined. You don't have to be THAT quick to put plug back in once it slows to a drip and no mess swapping over tool/hose/drain plug etc. Takes me about an hour and a half start to finish and thats with R/R-ing the battery/tray etc. Easy peasy.

Or get even easier. Drain, fill with 4.7 qts through top when changing filter, button up and go. As someone once said, it's just a gloriifed oil change and 4.7 is damn close enough. Do NOT agonize over something as simple as this, save that for why you picked the DSG over a manual in the first place 😁.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
9 DSG fluid changes between my 2 cars and friends. All top fill through filter tube, never had any issues. Use this funnel with a bungie to hold it upright. Not really slow filling (no holes punched in bottles), about half a beer per container timewise ;). Overfill slightly to 4.8 or 4.9 qts then do remainder of procedure as outlined. You don't have to be THAT quick to put plug back in once it slows to a drip and no mess swapping over tool/hose/drain plug etc. Takes me about an hour and a half start to finish and thats with R/R-ing the battery/tray etc. Easy peasy.

Or get even easier. Drain, fill with 4.7 qts through top when changing filter, button up and go. As someone once said, it's just a gloriifed oil change and 4.7 is damn close enough. Do NOT agonize over something as simple as this, save that for why you picked the DSG over a manual in the first place 😁.
Just put that funnel in my cart for Friday. That’s a good funnel. Shit I was using made a mess LOL

CarolinaGTIMk7

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Will be doing my first DSG service this week. What steps need to be done after fluid change? Is it just letting the trans warm up, engage each gear and reverse and is THAT IT ?? Am a GTI newbee and just bought a 2016 with 40K miles.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Will be doing my first DSG service this week. What steps need to be done after fluid change? Is it just letting the trans warm up, engage each gear and reverse and is THAT IT ?? Am a GTI newbee and just bought a 2016 with 40K miles.
I am pretty sure the trans temp needs to be in a range, I am not 100% though. Then remove the large drain plug on the bottom and allow the excess to drain out. Once it becomes a drip, reinstall the drain plug and off you go.

Try this:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nothing - change the fluid/filter, end. I've done it, it's simple.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I am pretty sure the trans temp needs to be in a range, I am not 100% though. Then remove the large drain plug on the bottom and allow the excess to drain out. Once it becomes a drip, reinstall the drain plug and off you go.

Try this:

The fluid temp is only to set the level after the drain/fill/filter change. You set the final level at the recommended temp.

CarolinaGTIMk7

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Hope I didn't mess anything up. Changed DSG fluid today. Put in 4.8 qts., top fill. Warmed up trans and car ran great. Pulled back into shop, loosen drain plug and at about 1/3 qt. I stopped the draining and reinstalled drain plug. Road tested again, ran great. Am I just being paranoid or if that much drained the 2nd level check and I only installed 4.8 qts, is the level going to be too low ?? Are there sensors which will let you know if the level is too low ? Ran great the 2nd road test also. Got a code for PCM timing out, cleared it and no more codes.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Hope I didn't mess anything up. Changed DSG fluid today. Put in 4.8 qts., top fill. Warmed up trans and car ran great. Pulled back into shop, loosen drain plug and at about 1/3 qt. I stopped the draining and reinstalled drain plug. Road tested again, ran great. Am I just being paranoid or if that much drained the 2nd level check and I only installed 4.8 qts, is the level going to be too low ?? Are there sensors which will let you know if the level is too low ? Ran great the 2nd road test also. Got a code for PCM timing out, cleared it and no more codes.
The top fill method should be draining and measuring how much came out and replacing just that much so you don't mess with the level setting. No sensors. You may be a touch low now.

CarolinaGTIMk7

Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Do you think that it's probably not low since fluid was coming out with the final warm check. stopped before it was at a drip. There is no slipping. hesitation etc.. Car seems to run much stronger. I can add some more but what a pain in the glutius to do that. Never seen such a crazy way to check trans level.

Thanks for all the advice !!

Last edited: