GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED Headlight Upgrade

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I guess I deserved that, but you might want to read this.
I have read that stuff before but after 25 years of what I do I guess it's not hurting me.
I do take melatonin every night but not for those reasons. At my age just typing this without my 6500k light beside the chair I'm sitting in would have me straining to see well enough.

cb1111

1613965974787.png

cb1111

I have read that stuff before but after 25 years of what I do I guess it's not hurting me.
I do take melatonin every night but not for those reasons. At my age just typing this without my 6500k light beside the chair I'm sitting in would have me straining to see well enough.
Sorry. I keep forgetting that science and facts don't apply to everyone.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sorry. I keep forgetting that science and facts don't apply to everyone.
Unless you can convince me that at 72 years old I'll live longer by squinting to see well enough at night to type this I guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing.

This is silly arguing about the Kelvin rating of my light bulbs.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Unless you can convince me that at 72 years old I'll live longer by squinting to see well enough at night to type this I guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing.

This is silly arguing about the Kelvin rating of my light bulbs.

Go read my long post on the previous page.....a higher K light such as the 6500K you state you are using..your eye "perceives" as brighter than anything else due to the way you eye reacts to blue wavelength light...

You are doing harm to your eyes....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I just went back to a folder of info I made in 2017 when I was complaining to our Council about the LED streetlights.......I could blitz the forum with circa 45PDFs from people such as Phillips, Osram, numerous Universities, Public Health boards, International Dark Skies Association etc., etc.

Unfortunately many are quite big in size....

This is a fairly good marketing presentation by Osram on light & colour quality, comparing K, CCT, CRI, & light source...

looks like that was too big....!!!!!

Here's a smaller one by the IDA over there in the USA....

Attachments

• 35_IDA_HUMAN-HEALTH_BROCHURE.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 62

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
One of the main reasons why the human eye perceives light containing more blue wavelength light as "brighter" is explained by what is known as "the Purkinje effect"...

Purkinje effect - Wikipedia

Then understand that the reason why blue wavelength light is used on sirens...as blue wavelength light scatters more & reflects of surfaces more & in the air more than any other colour of light..this is know as "Rayleigh scattering"...

Rayleigh scattering - Wikipedia

Basically blue wavelength light keeps you wide awake & it gets everywhere....so its best to control its use in the evening & at night...

cb1111

One of the main reasons why the human eye perceives light containing more blue wavelength light as "brighter" is explained by what is known as "the Purkinje effect"...

Purkinje effect - Wikipedia

Then understand that the reason why blue wavelength light is used on sirens...as blue wavelength light scatters more & reflects of surfaces more & in the air more than any other colour of light..this is know as "Rayleigh scattering"...

Rayleigh scattering - Wikipedia

Basically blue wavelength light keeps you wide awake & it gets everywhere....so its best to control its use in the evening & at night...
Go read my long post on the previous page.....a higher K light such as the 6500K you state you are using..your eye "perceives" as brighter than anything else due to the way you eye reacts to blue wavelength light...

You are doing harm to your eyes....

I just went back to a folder of info I made in 2017 when I was complaining to our Council about the LED streetlights.......I could blitz the forum with circa 45PDFs from people such as Phillips, Osram, numerous Universities, Public Health boards, International Dark Skies Association etc., etc.

Unfortunately many are quite big in size....

This is a fairly good marketing presentation by Osram on light & colour quality, comparing K, CCT, CRI, & light source...

looks like that was too big....!!!!!

Here's a smaller one by the IDA over there in the USA....
but, but, but... I'm 72 and I say it is brighter and better so it must be. I don't need no stinking facts or science.

Get off my lawn.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
but, but, but... I'm 72 and I say it is brighter and better so it must be. I don't need no stinking facts or science.

Get off my lawn.
@cb1111 I'm not against the science and I believe it. Maybe after I have cataract surgery I'll be able to read better with bulbs of a lower K rating. Also I believe you have a perceived viewpoint that my whole house is lit up like daylight and that's not the case. For instance I'm sitting in my recliner typing this on an Android tablet and on the end table beside me is a desk lamp with 6000K LED bulbs.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

@cb1111 I'm not against the science and I believe it. Maybe after I have cataract surgery I'll be able to read better with bulbs of a lower K rating. Also I believe you have a perceived viewpoint that my whole house is lit up like daylight and that's not the case. For instance I'm sitting in my recliner typing this on an Android tablet and on the end table beside me is a desk lamp with 6000K LED bulbs.

You state :- Also I believe you have a perceived viewpoint that my whole house is lit up like daylight and that's not the case.

You then further state :- For instance I'm sitting in my recliner typing this on an Android tablet and on the end table beside me is a desk lamp with 6000K LED bulbs.

You are contradicting yourself as anything above 5,000K is considered in the "Daylight spectrum".

You should have circa 3,000K ...my elderly mother who has eye problems can see alright in her home which is all 2,700K Osram & Philips LED bulbs...The kitchen is way bright, brighter than when there were two huge 5ft long fluorescent tubes..& it just has three LED bulbs no bigger than an old style 60w incandescent. Mind you the Lumen output is the equivalent of 1x100w & 2 x 60w....I think.....trying to remember as its a few years since I redid the lighting for her..!!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You state :- Also I believe you have a perceived viewpoint that my whole house is lit up like daylight and that's not the case.

You then further state :- For instance I'm sitting in my recliner typing this on an Android tablet and on the end table beside me is a desk lamp with 6000K LED bulbs.

You are contradicting yourself as anything above 5,000K is considered in the "Daylight spectrum".

You should have circa 3,000K ...my elderly mother who has eye problems can see alright in her home which is all 2,700K Osram & Philips LED bulbs...The kitchen is way bright, brighter than when there were two huge 5ft long fluorescent tubes..& it just has three LED bulbs no bigger than an old style 60w incandescent. Mind you the Lumen output is the equivalent of 1x100w & 2 x 60w....I think.....trying to remember as its a few years since I redid the lighting for her..!!
I didn't contradict myself. All I said was that I'm using the desk lamp that you referenced. I believe it has the lumen output of 1 60 watt incandescent bulb.

Look I said I believe the science but I'm going to keep using the desk lamp. Thank you for your concern about my eyesight. Do you have anything for COPD that would help tremendously.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I didn't contradict myself. All I said was that I'm using the desk lamp that you referenced. I believe it has the lumen output of 1 60 watt incandescent bulb.

Look I said I believe the science but I'm going to keep using the desk lamp. Thank you for your concern about my eyesight. Do you have anything for COPD that would help tremendously.

Yes you have contradicted yourself because earlier on in this thread you state :-
I figured the LED 's were about 5500K. All I have in my house are 6500K

Colour temp in K has nothing to do with either power consumption (W) or lumen output (lm).......all are three totally different factors of light.

However it is cheaper to make a high lumen output LED light by using a higher K value...(& tricking the human eye via "perception")...using a lower K value to get the same lumen output for the same power consumption costs more.....

All we are concerned about is the colour temp ..where a high K that you have in your house contains a huge amount of blue wavelength light with is bad for you in the evenings & at night-time.

Last edited: