GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RGB Ambient Lighting for Mk7 and Mk7.5

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Interesting. I might give it a shot after all. How much time did it take to install? Will it work even if I don't have any RGB currently installed? (I know you have the front doors).
Right now I've only installed the dash trim and front footwells. I still need to do all four doors and the rear footwells.

It only took a few hours up to this point. An hour or so to remove and glue the diffuser to the dash trim, then 2-3 hours to fit it and the controller as well as the front footwells.

Yes, it will work even if you have no ambient lighting at all. The controller can listen to either the steering wheel buttons or the wing mirror controls as a bit of a "hack".

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
So you bought the mid-level kit with the lights and accessories, but not the door trims, as you'll be keeping your current ones. That was my line of thinking too and I swear this level of kit was not around when I ordered. Considering the Mk7 has been around for so long I was surprised when something like this only came along a short time after I got one and was looking for this type of solution.

I chose the kit with three lights as I only wanted to add to the two I have, and of course keep my GTI trims, but I think I may just go all out now and reap the benefits of full ambient lighting that this system provides, as it has the controllers and I can run it from my screen.

This means changing over my factory lights, but it should be worth it in the end.

A set of these with GTI specifit trim would be great!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So you bought the mid-level kit with the lights and accessories, but not the door trims, as you'll be keeping your current ones. That was my line of thinking too and I swear this level of kit was not around when I ordered. Considering the Mk7 has been around for so long I was surprised when something like this only came along a short time after I got one and was looking for this type of solution.

I chose the kit with three lights as I only wanted to add to the two I have, and of course keep my GTI trims, but I think I may just go all out now and reap the benefits of full ambient lighting that this system provides, as it has the controllers and I can run it from my screen.

This means changing over my factory lights, but it should be worth it in the end.

A set of these with GTI specifit trim would be great!
Yes, that's correct.

The listing had three options:
- just the lights and controllers
- a set of 5 trims
- both of the above combined

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Cool, I'll right off, or try and sell one day my original order, it seems above my abilities etc.

So these controllers are wireless? One of them is connected to the car somehow and the rest talk to it?

In my 7.5 I should be able to control these lights via my screen? I have enabled 10 colours, which my car supports.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Cool, I'll right off, or try and sell one day my original order, it seems above my abilities etc.

So these controllers are wireless? One of them is connected to the car somehow and the rest talk to it?

In my 7.5 I should be able to control these lights via my screen? I have enabled 10 colours, which my car supports.
1 master controller and 4 slaves.

Master connects to power and CANBUS, slaves only need power. Master keeps the slaves in sync wirelessly.

Not sure how well it works on an infotainment system with only 10 colours. They only really refer to an OEM-like install using 32 colours.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Also, I have lights in my door handles, I shouldn't need to drill etc, just replace with these new ones?

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
1 master controller and 4 slaves.

Master connects to power and CANBUS, slaves only need power. Master keeps the slaves in sync wirelessly.

Not sure how well it works on an infotainment system with only 10 colours. They only really refer to an OEM-like install using 32 colours.
It should be fine colour wise. This listing says: Plug in and play 275C 280D
Another listing expands to say: Your headunit should be original 280 D( support 10 color) or 275C ( support 30 color),or it will not support multi color.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
I see these guys have a few products going wireless, including their steeting wheel R8 style Drive mode and Start/Stop buttons.