GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock downpipe prices?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I see people on Facebook offering to buy the stock Mk7 downpipes. Guys are willing to pay up to around $500 for a stock Mk7 DP. I've seen pics of multiple DP's laid out on a shop floor that they've bought from people. Are the people buying these DP's by the bunch reselling them? I remember a couple years ago the stock DP's were selling for $200 used...now I'm seeing people buy as many as they can and are willing to pay up to $500 for one.

Just curious.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Scrap prices must be up.

I’ve given OEM downpipes away for free, to supposedly good homes, but with the new trend being to cut them up and just scrap the cats I won’t be doing that anymore (only have one currently anyway).

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Recyclers buy them for the precious metals in the cats, prices have gone up hence the inflated cost. Sucks for those looking for a stock dp on the cheap.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If you live in a bad neighborhood you need to lower your car asap.

One company around here had the cats cut out of their entire fleet of vans/busses, obvious mistake: none of their fleet was slammed. The thieves could easily climb under.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
If you live in a bad neighborhood you need to lower your car asap.

One company around here had the cats cut out of their entire fleet of vans/busses, obvious mistake: none of their fleet was slammed. The thieves could easily climb under.
It doesn’t have to be a “bad” neighborhood. The bad comes from other areas to steal the cats.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Recyclers buy them for the precious metals in the cats, prices have gone up hence the inflated cost. Sucks for those looking for a stock dp on the cheap.
What are recyclers paying that you have guys in FB groups offering to buy your 🐈 for $500?

Some straight ask you to cut the cat off your DP.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What are recyclers paying that you have guys in FB groups offering to buy your 🐈 for $500?

Some straight ask you to cut the cat off your DP.
I don't think the cat will bring anywhere close to $500 from recyclers. If that was true a catted aftermarket DP would cost double or triple what the current prices are.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I don't think the cat will bring anywhere close to $500 from recyclers. If that was true a catted aftermarket DP would cost double or triple what the current prices are.

So that's why I'm wondering why people are offering up near $500 for a used stock downpipe. I'm in a few FB groups...and there are guys buying up these stock downpipes like its going out of style.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So that's why I'm wondering why people are offering up near $500 for a used stock downpipe. I'm in a few FB groups...and there are guys buying up these stock downpipes like its going out of style.
The only other reason I can think of is that people when they get tuned sell their OEM DP and now need one to pass emissions.

Here are the prices for a used cat. From $35 to $250 but mostly around $125.

https://www.converterguys.com/catalytic-converter-scrap-prices/

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
shoot...I sold mine to a member on here for about $150

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
The one guy that buys most of them in the FB groups is looking at the code on the side of each cat. He explained to me that depending on the model year of the car and which model cat it is it'll have more or less precious metals and different precious metals than others. So his price varies.

Don't forget there are two cats on the stock DP too, he's buying both.

He also doesn't really want the DP itself. He recommends cutting the cats off in specific places and just mailing him the cats to save on shipping.

The prices do seem crazy but he wouldn't be doing it if he was losing money.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Uh... sorry - where do I go to get my old DP out of the garage for $500? Please direct me to said parties post haste.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
The MK7 Facebook group.

The possibility is enticing but I need to make sure I can pass emissions in PA without the stock DP first. I'm sure by the time I figure that out prices will have dropped to the point of not making it worth selling.

I'd also prefer helping someone in the community if they were in need of a stock piece.