GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Street Tires for stock 2019 GTI SE?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Indy isn't great in the rain.

I like the FK610's, haven't driven the RS, but hard good things.

The Falkens handle Florida rain really well.

I know tires/ feedback can be personal and subjective sometimes.... My take on the Firestone is based on the Indy 500 set on my wife’s 430iand they’ve actually performed rather well in the rain here in Miami. Tire Rack UHP test results also show them as good performers in the wet.

I recently put another set of UHP Summer tires on my Passat Wagon (they’re actually in the same Tire Rack Test https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=217&tab=ResultCharts ) .... the Kumho Ecsta PS31. Again, I can say tests and ratings are personal because I prefer the overall feel of the PS31 over the Indy 500 (which TireRack shows as the test winner over the PS31).

The PS31 are sporty and responsive enough, grippy, yet comfortable and quiet. Great for around town performance. Great in the rain too.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I know tires/ feedback can be personal and subjective sometimes.... My take on the Firestone is based on the Indy 500 set on my wife’s 430iand they’ve actually performed rather well in the rain here in Miami. Tire Rack UHP test results also show them as good performers in the wet.

I recently put another set of UHP Summer tires on my Passat Wagon (they’re actually in the same Tire Rack Test https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=217&tab=ResultCharts ) .... the Kumho Ecsta PS31. Again, I can say tests and ratings are personal because I prefer the overall feel of the PS31 over the Indy 500 (which TireRack shows as the test winner over the PS31).

The PS31 are sporty and responsive enough, grippy, yet comfortable and quiet. Great for around town performance. Great in the rain too.
Yeah, I think when coming from the stock AS, any of these will be fantastic. They're all really good tires. It'll be preference and what characteristics you value most.

The main reason I like the FK510 so much is they ride really well on the street, because I have a separate set of wheels with 200TW tires. They're definitely not as responsive as the Indy 500's on my son's GTI.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI

Yeah, I think when coming from the stock AS, any of these will be fantastic. They're all really good tires. It'll be preference and what characteristics you value most.

The main reason I like the FK510 so much is they ride really well on the street, because I have a separate set of wheels with 200TW tires. They're definitely not as responsive as the Indy 500's on my son's GTI.

Good to know I can consider the PS31 as well. The caveat here is that I don't have the space for another set of dedicated track tires and it's not like I'm going to take autocross seriously if it returns where I am. I'm more in the mountain/country road carver category, but the PNW is known for its rain so I was looking out for a balance.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Good to know I can consider the PS31 as well. The caveat here is that I don't have the space for another set of dedicated track tires and it's not like I'm going to take autocross seriously if it returns where I am. I'm more in the mountain/country road carver category, but the PNW is known for its rain so I was looking out for a balance.
I’d say the Indy 500 have more of a performance edge / potential over the PS31 because of their UTQG rating in the 300 range. I’ve read of people using the Indy with success at HPDE - that’s a lot to ask of a UHP tire!

For my Passat Wagon duty, the PS31 exceed my expectations for their intended use. However, with a UTQG in the 400 range, I would not take them on the track.

if I had to pick a dual duty tire for ultimate performance and trackability and summer tire around town use, the Pirelli P Zero gets my vote- but that’s a step up from UHP category (it’s a 220 UTQG tire but has decent tread life from my experience).

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If I were planning on any sporty driving with the street tires, I'd have gone with the Indy 500.

But what about freezing temps where you are? None of the listed tires are great in near freezing temps.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
If I were planning on any sporty driving with the street tires, I'd have gone with the Indy 500.

But what about freezing temps where you are? None of the listed tires are great in near freezing temps.
I’d pick the Kumho PA51 (all season) over the PS31 if that were necessary. Almost went with that but I don’t see myself driving the wagon up north.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI

Summers come off as soon as morning/evening temperature range becomes less than 45F where I am because of my commute. Otherwise it's fair game.