GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RGB Ambient Lighting for Mk7 and Mk7.5

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Used a Dremel to grind off all the plastic welds until the old silver trim could be removed, then ground down all the remaining plastic tabs so the new diffuser could sit flush.

The notches on the new diffuser didn't quite match the rest of the trim so I needed to cut more notches in so it would sit flush, then I simply hot glued it in place.

See attached photos.
Very cool. How does the trim come off? Just prise it off from behind?

I did trim work like this on m Ford, unmelting plastic welds and installing new grab handles etc. Bit more stressed about doing anything in the GTI.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Very cool. How does the trim come off? Just prise it off from behind?

I did trim work like this on m Ford, unmelting plastic welds and installing new grab handles etc. Bit more stressed about doing anything in the GTI.
Yes that's right. Dash trim is definitely the easiest of the five!

TomzlatMk7

Car(s)
Mk7 Gti
Hi guy’s, been following this RGB matter up close from the begging of the first thread.

I own a 3 door MK7 GTI, i saw the kit from Vagexspress that dose not require any BCM swaps. I want to order it but the problem is why the F i need to pay 600$ for 3 door?!

If i will order it i will use only half of the led’s.. it is sad that they don’t have any 3 door solution, if someone wants to share the led’s I’m here! 😂

BTW, IWMTom looking forward to see some results in your car!

Last edited:

Squish~

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Any updates?
really interested in seeing pictures and seeing if its worth the cost and effort to do this retrofit

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
We're making progress! I've added some installation instructions for the dash trim and footwell lighting to post #3.

I'm very pleased with the light output in the night time. I've compared against the OEM blue strips I have in my front door cards and on maximum brightness they are visually identical in terms of light output. I know this was a particular concern of @Fraysa ! :)

Please accept these photos of the installation so far in addition to those in post #3:

1613853850130.png

1613853866900.png

1613853889344.png

And in true celebration... an obligatory view of what I am henceforth naming Rave Mode:

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Nice work.

I may be stuffed, as apart from the actual lights I don't have as many things, thougth I wasn't after the door and footwell LED's, I'm happy with the stock ones I have there, but I'm not sure what to make of my parts compared to all the controllers you have.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Nice work.

I may be stuffed, as apart from the actual lights I don't have as many things, thougth I wasn't after the door and footwell LED's, I'm happy with the stock ones I have there, but I'm not sure what to make of my parts compared to all the controllers you have.

Eek. No idea what's going on there I'm afraid!

Presumably it's for wiring directly to the BCM.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Yes, I think it is something like that but I have zero ideas about that, sadly. I may buy your kit, never saw it when I was looking.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Looking sweet - thanks for the update, Tom! The lights do look as bright as the OEM ones.

What colors are supported? Can you control them through the MMI already?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Looking sweet - thanks for the update, Tom! The lights do look as bright as the OEM ones.

What colors are supported? Can you control them through the MMI already?
There's 32 colours (I counted) but because I have a pre-facelift car I'm using the steering wheel controls rather than the infotainment.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
There's 32 colours (I counted) but because I have a pre-facelift car I'm using the steering wheel controls rather than the infotainment.

Interesting. I might give it a shot after all. How much time did it take to install? Will it work even if I don't have any RGB currently installed? (I know you have the front doors).