GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED Headlight Upgrade

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Those are the osram units referenced in this forum. Just search for "osram LED". They'll be cheaper direct from osram.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
You'll have a hard time finding a retrofit that will pass MOT. Why? Because there aren't any.
1613877904292.png

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You'll have a hard time finding a retrofit that will pass MOT. Why? Because there aren't any.
Sorry to be THAT GUY, but actually......

The Osram housings are type approved, and output a brightness below the requirement for headlight washers.

They're actually the only aftermarket housings I know of that are fully road legal in the EU and the UK!

cb1111

Sorry. Missed the part about the Osram housings. I was referring to bulb retrofits.

Although I'm unsure what "

Up to 100% whiter light (compared to standard halogen bulbs)" means. Do they add 4 ounces of white light to get 100% more?

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Sorry. Missed the part about the Osram housings. I was referring to bulb retrofits.

Although I'm unsure what "

Up to 100% whiter light (compared to standard halogen bulbs)" means. Do they add 4 ounces of white light to get 100% more?
Presumably the figure comes from the Kelvin lighting scale.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Right, but since "white light" isn't an absolute value, you can't have % more.

As a more serious aside - whiter light isn't always better.
It's probably something along the lines of 2500K halogen to 5000K LED, where I consider 5000K - 6000K to be the sweet spot for headlights (some may disagree).

Sure there's no absolute for what constitutes pure white, but most would say it's around the 5000K mark.

Incoanon

Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
It's probably something along the lines of 2500K halogen to 5000K LED, where I consider 5000K - 6000K to be the sweet spot for headlights (some may disagree).

Sure there's no absolute for what constitutes pure white, but most would say it's around the 5000K mark.
Do you think its worth the upgrade price?

Incoanon

Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Haven't seen the Osram housings myself. There's a thread on this forum discussing them somewhere if you have a quick search.
I tried searching for it but no luck for the information i'm looking for. i don't know if it consist a bulb in the interior of the headlamp or if it truly all built in. if its all in one the it's a big no as i'd have a buy another set to replace one.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I tried searching for it but no luck for the information i'm looking for. i don't know if it consist a bulb in the interior of the headlamp or if it truly all built in. if its all in one the it's a big no as i'd have a buy another set to replace one.
It's all built in. The light source isn't replaceable.