GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Probably the exact words in my girl's head when I ask her where she wants to eat dinner. Or ask her anything, really.
She figures out what she wants immediately after I choose. She chooses "anywhere else".
When your wife/girlfriend says "I don't know what I want, what do you want to eat?", She's not really curious about your preferences, she wants to see if you can guess hers. I recommend you just tell her to get in the car and let it be a surprise. She'll tell you where she wants to go really quickly.

cb1111

Good article. 18” is the sweet spot, but cannot remotely compare to the looks of 19s. Also is it me or does it seem like sizes for 19s are much more limited than they used to be?
I noticed the same
With SUVs taking over, 19's are becoming mainstream but with larger tires - so the 19" tire size for non-SUVs is dwindling - except for those cars that came with 19's.

While 19's may look better, the roads in the US are pretty awful, so the wheels will get beaten up pretty badly.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
My battery is dead. I mean dead-dead. It won't take a trickle charge or a normal charge, and won't take a boost charge either so i think its time for a new one. I'm still on factory so its about that time. My question is will letting it sit with a completely dead battery for a while be bad for the car in any way?

cb1111

Anybody here who can get some service information on a specific VIN? I'm looking at a car, first registered in El Paso in March 2020, has less that 7k miles, looks great and is sitting on a regular used car lot in Ohio.

The car lot has a decent reputation and they say they got the off lease from VW. Autocheck (the Experian competitor to CARFAX.

It is several hours away from me so I can't just pop by and look at it.

I'd like to verify that there isn't anything weird in the service records. Autocheck shows only the registration information - no service info at all. Since it isn't at a vW dealer, they can't pull up anything either.
So you guys blew me off when I asked this question, so I went ahead and got a CARFAX report. You know that I believe that CARFAX isn't reliable for stuff it doesn't show, but it usually correct on the stuff it does have. The dealer provided the Experian report but not the CARFAX.

I've attached a link to the car, the Autocheck and the CARFAX report. Please look at the car first, then the Experian Autocheck and finally the CARFAX. Would you buy this car?

Attachments

• Experian White brown alltrack Ohio.pdf
    181 KB · Views: 101
  • White-brown alltrack Ohio.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 93

cb1111

Has anyone here used US Wheel Adapters before?

They make custom spacers, among other things. To run the wheels I bought I need a 57.1 to 66.56 hub ring and then a 5 or 6mm spacer to be "flush" in the front. Stacking those on the front makes me nervous so I was going to have US Wheel make a hubcentric spacer for me. A pair would be $160ish but the peace of mind invaluable. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried them out and if they are legit.

I have 10mm spacers with a lip that I can move to the back. I feel better about running a hub ring on that spacer since it'll have full contact with the lip on the spacer (front 5mm spacer would be flat / no lip, hence looking at the custom option)
No, but it is interesting. I have a nice Acura wheel that I'd love to use on the Alltrack - even has the proper sized tires.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So you guys blew me off when I asked this question, so I went ahead and got a CARFAX report. You know that I believe that CARFAX isn't reliable for stuff it doesn't show, but it usually correct on the stuff it does have. The dealer provided the Experian report but not the CARFAX.

I've attached a link to the car, the Autocheck and the CARFAX report. Please look at the car first, then the Experian Autocheck and finally the CARFAX. Would you buy this car?
If I was looking for an automatic alltrack, sure it seems nice. Although I would never buy a car I couldn't see in person and test drive first. But that doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle...

I'm curious what "minor" accident caused damage to the entire right side but it looks fine in the pics. The price seems a bit high to me but idk what Alltracks go for (it does have low miles), and I've heard the economic shutdown has done good for the used car market.

Have you looked into what kind of discounts your local dealers are offering? There's a good chance they're desperate for sales. Even Carmax is worth looking at, they ship vehicles out of state for free to a nearby dealer so you can test drive it

Last edited:

cb1111

If I was looking for an automatic alltrack, sure it seems nice. Although I would never buy a car I couldn't see and test drive in person first. But that doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle...

I'm curious what "minor" accident caused damaged to the entire right side but I doubt it's anything worth worrying about since it looks fine in the pics. The price seems a bit high to me but idk what Alltracks go for (it does have low miles), and I've heard the lockdowns have done good for the used car market.

Have you looked into what kind of discounts your local dealers are offering? There's a good chance they're desperate for sales. Carmax is even worth looking at, they ship vehicles out of state for free to a nearby dealer so you can test drive it
There are virtually no 2019 Alltrack SELs to be found (with the exception of a couple of black on black ones). The dealer told me "no accidents", one owner. The Experian reports shows the car first titled in TX on a different date from CARFAX, leading me to believe that it may be a doctored report. Blow up the photo of the passenger side and you see all sorts of orange peel. Then there is the second owner who kept the car for 700 miles before it went to a VW dealer in Florida that resold it to the used car lot in Ohio. With 6000 miles, why didn't the vW dealer certify it and sell it?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There are virtually no 2019 Alltrack SELs to be found (with the exception of a couple of black on black ones). The dealer told me "no accidents", one owner. The Experian reports shows the car first titled in TX on a different date from CARFAX, leading me to believe that it may be a doctored report. Blow up the photo of the passenger side and you see all sorts of orange peel. Then there is the second owner who kept the car for 700 miles before it went to a VW dealer in Florida that resold it to the used car lot in Ohio. With 6000 miles, why didn't the vW dealer certify it and sell it?
Contact them.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Something has deff been worked on of the passenger side, the picture showering the door open you can see the back doors hardware has been taken off at some point and you can see how the alignment of the washers/nut head is off from where. It’s was first painted

cb1111

Something has deff been worked on of the passenger side, the picture showering the door open you can see the back doors hardware has been taken off at some point and you can see how the alignment of the washers/nut head is off from where. It’s was first painted
Good point. There is also overspray on the gasket - looks like a quick repair.