GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Splash Guard installation instructions

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
I just picked up a pair of OEM splash guards for my '17 GTI
Does anyone know how to get a pdf (or otherwise) of the directions that would come with it if ordered new from VW?
I know it's not a project in astrophysics, but I am still curious about what the instructions look like as provided by the manufacturer.
I searched up Google a fair bit, but came up empty.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
No shame in wanting installation instructions; I'd do the same. :) I saved these instructions from when I installed them on our 2017 Golf. It was a fun afternoon project.

VW Golf Splash Guard Install 1.jpg
VW Golf Splash Guard Install 2.jpg
VW Golf Splash Guard Install 3.jpg

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
WUNDERBAR!

Did you follow these all the way? I wonder if the drilling and punching are all necessary?
I'd rather not put holes in places that they did not originally exist, but I also want them to go on and stay on, and to be snug enough that stuff doesn't creep in between the paint and the guard.

THANK YOU!

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I installed mine so long ago I don't remember exactly, but I know I left some of the drilling out and I'm still good!
I do remember being lazy and not taking any of the wheels off...

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed mine so long ago I don't remember exactly, but I know I left some of the drilling out and I'm still good!
I do remember being lazy and not taking any of the wheels off...
Funny. Everything I have seen says you can leave the wheels on the front and still get the guards on, but rear wheels have to come off.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
WUNDERBAR!

Did you follow these all the way? I wonder if the drilling and punching are all necessary?
I'd rather not put holes in places that they did not originally exist, but I also want them to go on and stay on, and to be snug enough that stuff doesn't creep in between the paint and the guard.

THANK YOU!

I followed the directions to the letter, but began to realize that (as the posts above read) drilling every hole isn't necessary. The fender liners are made of a thick mat fiber and the screws seat into it just fine without drilling holes. I probably turned the front wheels for better access. I can't recall whether I removed the rear wheels or not. In any case, your GTI's German Engineering won't suffer.:giggle:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Funny. Everything I have seen says you can leave the wheels on the front and still get the guards on, but rear wheels have to come off.

That's because you can turn the front wheels out of the way.

Yeah I just turned the wheels side to side.
For the rears, like I said, I believe I just left out a couple of the drilling steps. I didn't want to drill anyway...
They have been on for years and still fit like they did when I first put them on.

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
I did my splash guard install yesterday.
Generally speaking, it went ok.
Chose not to remove any wheels... no problem up front, a little tougher in the rear.
I did not drill any holes, so each guard is held in by two screws in the same locations that factory holes already existed.

My only issue was this:
On the driver's front, at the top of the guard where it meets the car, there is a bigger gap than I am happy with.
No degree of tightening changes the gap.
Is it possible to heat up the rubber of these guards, and shape them a bit, or is that the fit I am stuck with?

You'd only notice it if you were looking at it, but I don't want crud getting behind there and festering.
I have no patience for crud that festers.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I noticed the same gap when I installed mine. I was able to apply pressure to the guard while tightening the fastener and it got to an acceptable figment. I opted to follow the directions to the t so I drilled all the holes. Not sure if that made any difference but the guard is secured with 3 additional fasteners than I was to only utilize the 2 screws.

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
When I did mine, drilled the holes to make sure they dont shift or vibrate to damage the paint and heated them up so they fitted nicely. They fit very flush now.

CKIVSEPA

Passed Driver's Ed
How did you heat them up? I'm outside Philly, and yesterday when I did the install it was probably about 30F in my garage.
I wondered if I should have waited for warmer weather.

Hair dryer? Did you do anything else to mold them once warm, or that was enough to get a tight fit?

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
How did you heat them up? I'm outside Philly, and yesterday when I did the install it was probably about 30F in my garage.
I wondered if I should have waited for warmer weather.

Hair dryer? Did you do anything else to mold them once warm, or that was enough to get a tight fit?
In my garage, was about 40F(5C) and used a hair dryer on them for a couple minutes to soften them up nicely so I could push them in snug and screw them "tight".