GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just note that I mentioned parts required for MK8, not sure if MK7 needs the same.

Usually the nuts are captive on the trays..see my original post on the short axle tray on page 1

ixiuxi

Car(s)
Golf GTI Perf Mk 7.5
Thank you very much for the information!

I will try 5WA501713A with the above mentioned fixing-parts and then report back, whether it fits or not on the MK 7.5 GTI.

I will also try to put on:

-- 3Q0826236C ("big" splashguard for the front under the engine, with DSG-cooling)
-- 5Q0825206K (aero cover for the exhaust before rear axle)
-- 5Q0 501 733, MK8 aero splash guard left (rear axle)
-- 5Q0 501 734, MK8 aero splash guard right (rear axle)
-- 1K0 505 563 balance weight/rear subframe harmonic damper

Greetings

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Thank you very much for the information!

I will try 5WA501713A with the above mentioned fixing-parts and then report back, whether it fits or not on the MK 7.5 GTI.

I will also try to put on:

-- 3Q0826236C ("big" splashguard for the front under the engine, with DSG-cooling)
-- 5Q0825206K (aero cover for the exhaust before rear axle)
-- 5Q0 501 733, MK8 aero splash guard left (rear axle)
-- 5Q0 501 734, MK8 aero splash guard right (rear axle)
-- 1K0 505 563 balance weight/rear subframe harmonic damper

Greetings
I have the rear subframe harmonic dampener for sale (Brand new)

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
FYI, after installation of all of those underbody covers, I’ve noticed zero to marginal improvement in terms of cabin noise but after installing insulation under the rear seats (Gladen Aero Multi), I’ve noticed more relevant improvement. Very easy and cheap tune! FYI – circa 0.6m2 of mat has been used to cover the area.

It may sound obvious but in terms of noise, tarmac quality and tires are the most decisive factors. All those improvements are noticeable mainly when driving on smooth surface.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
First off, thank you to @golfdave for his research and time putting this guide together. I love OEM+ style mods like this.

I have a MK7 GTI with a DSG, DCC, and ACC. Will the below parts still fit my car and am I missing anything needed to install?
Aero Panel
Replacement Screws kit
Rear Mounting Bolts

I am planning on lowering my car slightly, is the alltrack hard skidtray worth investing in over just the aero panel? It's over twice as much... Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

BlackT5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Yeah, it's worth it.

About a week after I installed my Alltrack plate I was forced to drive over an aluminum ladder that was laying perpendicular to travel on the freeway. The lanes to either side were occupied so it had to happen. Squared up and just went for it. Was able to thread it right between the wheels. Made quite the boom as I did it.

Pulled off at the first offramp for a peek expecting the worst. Nothing more than galled aluminum right down the center, right it the path of the oil pan. That plate saved my car for sure. Had the plate off a few weeks for an oil change and the galled aluminum wiped off with WD40.

Just spend the money. Your car will thank you if you need to run over something.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah, it's worth it.

About a week after I installed my Alltrack plate I was forced to drive over an aluminum ladder that was laying perpendicular to travel on the freeway. The lanes to either side were occupied so it had to happen. Squared up and just went for it. Was able to thread it right between the wheels. Made quite the boom as I did it.

Pulled off at the first offramp for a peek expecting the worst. Nothing more than galled aluminum right down the center, right it the path of the oil pan. That plate saved my car for sure. Had the plate off a few weeks for an oil change and the galled aluminum wiped off with WD40.

Just spend the money. Your car will thank you if you need to run over something.

Yeah new underpants job that!!.....It only takes one incident to get your moneys worth from the skid tray!!

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Yeah, it's worth it.

Any experience like that is all it takes to make it money well spent! I was mostly looking for the aero benefits, but I might save up for the full skid panel.

How is it removing that panel for service? It seems like it has quite a few more fasteners than the strictly aero focused one.

BlackT5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Any experience like that is all it takes to make it money well spent! I was mostly looking for the aero benefits, but I might save up for the full skid panel.

How is it removing that panel for service? It seems like it has quite a few more fasteners than the strictly aero focused one.
Crazy easy. Used to pulling the whole cover on my old Focus ST so it's second nature. My wife's cars are the same so whatever.

Think it's 14 screws in a total of a minute or so while laying on my back with the car on ramps. Yeah, the stock half cover didn't need to be removed but I think the aero cover has the same amount of fasteners as the skid plate.

Best purchase I've ever made and the first mod to the car. Yeah, it cost more but it probably saved me more in damages than I paid for it.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Crazy easy. Used to pulling the whole cover on my old Focus ST so it's second nature. My wife's cars are the same so whatever.

Think it's 14 screws in a total of a minute or so while laying on my back with the car on ramps. Yeah, the stock half cover didn't need to be removed but I think the aero cover has the same amount of fasteners as the skid plate.

Best purchase I've ever made and the first mod to the car. Yeah, it cost more but it probably saved me more in damages than I paid for it.
Ok, that's not too bad then.
Well, you sold me on it. I'm getting the Alltrack skid plate. Thanks for answering my questions, and hopefully that'll be your last pucker moment in your GTI! 😆

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
On my TTRS they leave the entire driveshaft tunnel and exhaust uncovered. There are also cooling fins on the rear diff / haldex so I'm fairly certain I shouldn't cover those up. But I like the idea of enhancing the LCAs.
I also purchased another right side rear cover for the left side as they are almost interchangeable. I'm doing that mostly for fuel tank protection as there are some nice "chips" in the plastic tank. I don't think it was left open for any kind of cooling but it's really hard to know why it wasn't covered. I suppose the left side fuel tank itself acts as a cover as it's flat but there is a gap between the side cover and tank. The factory exhaust also blends into the rear diffuser/bumper for decent flow.

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed the Golf 8 Aero covers on my Leon (should also be a direct fit on the Golf/GTI).

5WA407118 and 5WA407117 (attached to the arms with 4x 8e0825267 rivets (n0385494 would also work).)

the 3Q0407118 and 117 DON'T fit, they have a different shape and hole placement.
Hi I was wondering what is the part number for your seat leon lower arm?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo