GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Liftgate mod recommendation ?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yes, I can try. With no pictures. As it’s freezing -5 and I’m almost on the edge too total the car... (will adjust post with pictures).

Problem 1 : electric latch keeps making beeps.

So when switching on the contact/ignition of the car, the electric latch in the boot starts working (moving and making beeps), this happens everytime I switch the ignitionbutton from OFF to the ON.
It seems like Fuse 38 has no always power +12V?

problem 2: different plugs of the tailgate kit

(there were also 2 plugs in the kit which looked the identical,
-one labeled (gti) and the other one
had no label

i used the gti one🙈 (i have read there are some differences regarding the 17+ GTI mk7 but the plugs looked the same) -> will change this plug.

Problem 3: electric latch hinch

The hook/hinch broke off which holds the boot tight in place by pulling it firmly (see prior post picture), its just about a 2mm differences which is seen between the boottailgate light and the fixed tailgate light, but because there is still some play, i need to press the hatch manually for those 2mm. -> Will reorder this item.
I had to use the GTI cable despite not having a GTI. If I used the other one, the button on the steering column wouldn't work.

If something has broken then I'd imagine that's why it's being problematic.

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Yes, I can try. With no pictures. As it’s freezing -5 and I’m almost on the edge too total the car... (will adjust post with pictures).

Problem 1 : electric latch keeps making beeps.

So when switching on the contact/ignition of the car, the electric latch in the boot starts working (moving and making beeps), this happens everytime I switch the ignitionbutton from OFF to the ON.
It seems like Fuse 38 has no always power +12V?

problem 2: different plugs of the tailgate kit

(there were also 2 plugs in the kit which looked the identical,
-one labeled (gti) and the other one
had no label

i used the gti one🙈 (i have read there are some differences regarding the 17+ GTI mk7 but the plugs looked the same) -> will change this plug.

Problem 3: electric latch hinch

The hook/hinch broke off which holds the boot tight in place by pulling it firmly (see prior post picture), its just about a 2mm differences which is seen between the boottailgate light and the fixed tailgate light, but because there is still some play, i need to press the hatch manually for those 2mm. -> Will reorder this item.

problem 4: rear wiper not working
So I think I can help with problem 1, 3, and 4 -- I think they're all related. I just finished the install on my car and was wondering for the longest time why the hook(?) wasn't pulling it in towards the front of the car to door to shut.

Is it possible that you connected the straight 4 pin to the rear wiper instead of the actual door latch (Red square in the picture)?
The connectors are identical and the actual place where you're supposed to hook up the new adapter is kind of tucked away right behind the lock in a very small pocket. so I missed it the first time around (The starred area).

Attachments

• 3A4B39E4-381B-4227-8AD6-4DCF126F78DD.jpeg
    3A4B39E4-381B-4227-8AD6-4DCF126F78DD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 175

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Also, is the steering wheel button only supposed to close? It closes the trunk fine, but it won't open the trunk regardless of ignition on / off.

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Which latch connector did you use? The one marked GTI, or the other one?
I used the one marked GTI (But I do have a GTI). I tried using the one that wasn't marked, but then the whole system wouldn't work including the back switch.

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Are the doors unlocked when you try to open?
Yup I've tried it with both locked and unlocked. It seems strange that it consistently closes but not open. Not a big deal so I might just live with it but I appreciate your help debugging this @IWMTom !

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yup I've tried it with both locked and unlocked. It seems strange that it consistently closes but not open. Not a big deal so I might just live with it but I appreciate your help debugging this @IWMTom !
Sometimes after unlocking mine won't register the click so I have to press it again, but other than that it works fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Sometimes after unlocking mine won't register the click so I have to press it again, but other than that it works fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So turns out my car requires the non-GTI labeled connector instead. After I replaced the connector, the front switch opens and closes just fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I wonder what the difference is between those 2 cables...
Anyway thanks again for all your help on this thread @IWMTom ! This is one of the most exciting mods I've done to the car! 😀

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So turns out my car requires the non-GTI labeled connector instead. After I replaced the connector, the front switch opens and closes just fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I wonder what the difference is between those 2 cables...
Anyway thanks again for all your help on this thread @IWMTom ! This is one of the most exciting mods I've done to the car! 😀
The difference is the pins are switched, but not sure what the purpose is. Ironically, I don't have a GTI but had to use the GTI cable for it to work!

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
So I think I can help with problem 1, 3, and 4 -- I think they're all related. I just finished the install on my car and was wondering for the longest time why the hook(?) wasn't pulling it in towards the front of the car to door to shut.

Is it possible that you connected the straight 4 pin to the rear wiper instead of the actual door latch (Red square in the picture)?
The connectors are identical and the actual place where you're supposed to hook up the new adapter is kind of tucked away right behind the lock in a very small pocket. so I missed it the first time around (The starred area).
I’m going to check this solution next week. Kinda have a lot projects around the golf mk7 ongoing and ordered a new latch, hopefully next week... thanks for pointing this out!

Last edited:

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
Did replace the plug gti vs key cable.
No difference, but i forgot to check the plug, but now my wiper, did move a bit so i do think i switched the plugs...

status update 12-4: got everything working

last step by remote

Last edited:

Sn00ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 variant DSG
I've been following this product for 2 years. It got cheaper but they still seem a bit expensive. I think it is the best choice for golf mk7. No additional holes in the tailgate are required.
https://www.autoease.com/product/liftgate/
I did look at the same model (if you have a estate) the price difference for me was too much, but if it’s really a different product than that you can find on AliExpress we are really curious when implementing 👀