GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much have you spent on your GTI and purchase do you regret the most?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I bought it because it was the most conservative tune and hoped that the stock clutch would hold. It would also cut out power on me around 4K RPM in second primarily, I’m not sure if this was traction control related or not, I coded the ECT to sport in VCDS around the same time the clutch started to slip. I bought and installed a stage 3 clutch. Since I got that done, there is really no need to be conservative anymore. From the research Ive done it seems that EQT is the route to go. But, being already $800 or something into the tune, and only needing $150 to upgrade to stage 2 with uni vs $1000+ CAD to go EQT, it made sense to stick to uni and focus on other things for now. The clutch is not broken in yet, so haven’t had the opportunity to see what the stage 2 tune is truly like.

my entire last car's story was a massive waste of money. My last GTI was DSG and Im not a DSG guy. Every payment was a waste, the Uni ECU/TCU tune I got was a waste, and my car drove like shit the day I bought it, and the day I sold it, with a transmission replacement, 2 sets of upper mounts, and 3 sets of lower dogbone mounts in the process.

glad I love my current car and did everything right that I did wrong last time

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
These sort of thresds always give me great enablement knowing im not the only one lol

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Around 1800. Purchase I regret the most was getting tuned (went with EQT STG2). Massive waste of money and I went back to stock after a month. Still have to sell the AP.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Around 1800. Purchase I regret the most was getting tuned (went with EQT STG2). Massive waste of money and I went back to stock after a month. Still have to sell the AP.
Why was it a waste of money?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I don't have all that many mods on my car. I bought it new...outright in July 2017. I think I have just under 4k of mods in it. Some of my parts were used or I got a super bro deal on. I don't really have any mods that I have any regrets on.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Had issues with the tune and was not able to accurately diagnose
Actually the tune has been running great, I just don't like the power. I've driven cars with more power than this but they were built around that power, whereas the GTI with a stage 2 tune brings out all the shortfalls of the car that need to be upgraded; engine mounts, intercooler, trans tune, etc etc. It was great stock and that's where I'm gonna leave it.

Ps: I know pretty much everyone thinks I'm an idiot for feeling this way, but that's just how it is.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Actually the tune has been running great, I just don't like the power. I've driven cars with more power than this but they were built around that power, whereas the GTI with a stage 2 tune brings out all the shortfalls of the car that need to be upgraded; engine mounts, intercooler, trans tune, etc etc. It was great stock and that's where I'm gonna leave it.

Ps: I know pretty much everyone thinks I'm an idiot for feeling this way, but that's just how it is.
I don't think you're an idiot. You deserve to have your car the way you want it.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Nope, what you said was valid. Even for just stage one I have upgraded suspension, mounts and intercooler just to support the added power correctly. If you didnt want to do all that it sounds like you made the right decision.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
For me it's over 10k over 3 years for all the performance and cosmetic mods that have been done. My only regret is going JB1-Stg1-Stg2-IS38 and not just jumping straight to IS38 from the get go. I said I would leave it mostly stock when I first bought the car, boy was I delusional 😆

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For me it's over 10k over 3 years for all the performance and cosmetic mods that have been done. My only regret is going JB1-Stg1-Stg2-IS38 and not just jumping straight to IS38 from the get go. I said I would leave it mostly stock when I first bought the car, boy was I delusional 😆
We're all delusional. 🤣